Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Fine dining. Light lunch

IMG_20211220_113942.jpg

Egg on toast. Small amount of relish and bbq sauce, cherry tomatoes, pepper on soy and linseed bread.

Served with a banana.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
EGG NOG THAT DOESN'T SUCK
Let's be honest: there are a lot of recipes out there for egg nog, and most of them are awful. It's no wonder so many people will turn their noses up at this once-famous Christmas punch. Well. If you like the idea of egg nog, but you've struggled to find a recipe that doesn't suck, here's mine. It isn't a "traditional" version; it's more like a "tasty" or "drinkable" version instead.

Yes, I know this isn't "real egg nog." That's a feature, not a bug.

To make a whole punch bowl full of the stuff:
1/2 gallon (2 L) of your favorite vanilla ice cream*, melted
1 pint of whole milk
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 bottle (750 mL) spiced Jamaican rum (like this one.)
1 pint of heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks

Combine the melted ice cream, milk, and spices in a large pitcher, and refrigerate overnight. To serve: pour into a chilled punch bowl, stir in the rum, then wisk in the whipped cream. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.

For a single serving:
4 oz (120 mL) melted vanilla ice cream*
2 oz (60 mL) whole milk
1-1/2 oz (45 mL) spiced Jamaican rum
Dollop of whipped cream
Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger...as much or as little as you like of each.

Shake all ingredients together until frothy. Pour into a mug, garnish with more nutmeg if you like, and enjoy.

*or frozen custard (that you have thawed in the refrigerator). This is the brand that I recommend.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Hard boiled eggs are smoked, and just waiting a couple days to be turned into deviled eggs......also having rosemary skewered shrimp and some kind of veggie thing from Otellenghi (a fried patty with peppers).

Zardnaar

Legend
Vegetarian cook up.

IMG_20211223_173707.jpg

Lightly fried egg on pita with relish and salad, falafel and various other stuff.

Chopped up various nuts, dash of olive oil and 5 minutes in a pan and stirred into the salad.

Southland Sushi aka the mighty cheese roll. From 7:10 mark roughly.

Also kumara fries.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not a fan of sweet potatoes, but mom loves them. If she ever goes to NZ, I’ll point out the name change.

Those cheese rolls, though? Looks like a pn “improved“ frilled cheese sandwich with a different presentation. I’d be al over that!

Remove ads