Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Yuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm…

First one I've had since idk.

Order as a kid was pineapple ring, fish, chips.

Used to be able to get donutscfrom a F&C shop as well. A lot still do.

Basically deep fried and coated in cinnamon and Suger servered hot.

Some alsondo deep fried Moro bars (Chocolate, caramel nougat bar) and one deep fried cheese rolls.

Also regional variety done things down here aren't available up north. Eg Chop suey patty.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Some of the Brazilian churrascarias around here will dust pineapples in cinnamon and cook it on a roti, then slice off pieces-just like they do with the meats.

But deep fried? Never seen it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Some of the Brazilian churrascarias around here will dust pineapples in cinnamon and cook it on a roti, then slice off pieces-just like they do with the meats.

But deep fried? Never seen i

Yeah might be an NZ thing or even a regional thing idk.

I've posted those menus with 20-50 odd fried whatever.

Think they were 25 cents (US money) when I was a kid fish was 70 cents.

Now it's around $2 a piece pineapple ring not sure.

Inherited fish and chip shops off the poms but the Aussie and NZ styles have diverged.

Zardnaar

Legend
So been living off camp food last 5 days. Near the ocean so we went to the greatest fish and chip shop we've tried. It was closed until Wednesday.

So yesterday (Tuesday) we went to the guys place that trained them. They're only open Friday to Monday.

On the Monday half the camp left to see a show that night and we decided to sample the local small towns cuisine. They had 4 places to try but two were closed (see the recurring theme here).

The girls chose generic corner store nachos had a bit of a disaster and terrible service.

I refused and went to check out the local pub/bar that probably hasn't changed to much since the 1980's. It had a great reputation online.

Anyway they had a bacon and egg burger on the menu ordered that adding beef patties, fries and a hotdog (NZ hotdog more similar to corn dog).

Everything was pretty good to great, the girls finished off my chips that didn't taste like disappointment.

Net connection isn't very good in the forest so can't upload reliably. Was considering BBQing tourists but apparently that's illegal.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have a standing appointment with my barber every 2 weeks. And because my 2nd favorite Vietnamese place is on the way to his shop, that’s where I go for breakfast- usually egg or spring rolls and some kind of pho. One of the ingredients in some of their pho is tripe. I’ve never had tripe, AFAIK, but I’ve eaten all kinds of other dishes that include parts of digestive tracts, like sausages, gumbos with chitlins, and so forth.

So 2 weeks ago, as I was sitting in the chair getting shorn, I decided I’d get one of the pho with trip the next time. In the interim, I actually went to my FAVORITE Vietnamese joint and looked for tripe…and they had none.

Today, I followed through by ordering pho with flank steak and tripe.

I have to say that I don’t get the appeal. It wasn’t BAD, but unlike the flank steak, it didn’t really have a flavor strong enough to be detected as distinct from the broth and veggies. Its texture was like a slightly firmer noodle.

Considering it was originally a food ingredient mainly for the poor, I can understand why there would be recipes that included it. But there was no discount- my pho was just as expensive as a bowl with all pricier ingredients.

So, while I won’t avoid tripe in the future, I’m not seeking it out, either.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think tripe is like Spam. If you grew up eating it (likely because of poverty), you probably have warm feelings for it. (I have warm feelings for some meals that I realize now, as an adult, were about my mother feeding four people for a total of $2.) If you come to it as an outsider, you can usually see why some of these foods were left to the poor people, while better-off people or peoples ate the more expensive stuff. (See also: the entire history of sausage.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You’re probably not wrong on that.

It’s just…I can’t say they’re bringing much- if any- flavor to the dish. At least with SPAM- or in my own past, Underwood DevIled Ham or chicken gizzards- there’s a distinct FLAVOR to your poverty food. You can instantly taste what you‘re missing. I’ve NEVER missed having chitlins in my gumbo.

Zardnaar

Legend
IMG_20230131_123708.jpg

Best tacos I've found here. Think ones fried chicken with bacon jam and the other is hamburger with kumara skins.

Remove ads