Cookin again

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Homemade tacos tonight. Ground turkey with Mexican spice blend. Shredded cabbage. Tex-Mex cheese. Refried beans. Homemade corn tortillas. Plastic tortilla presses break. Use a cheap-ass wood one or a metal one. Just don’t forget the cut-up plastic bag to keep the masa from sticking to the press.

Mad_Jack

Legend
In this week's episode of Giant Pot of Whatever, Jack had 2lbs of white rice, shredded meat from a turkey he'd cooked awhile ago and frozen, and some onions. I'd considered just doing the usual rice-and-whatever, but didn't have all the cans of vegetables I'd normally use...
I did, however, have two packages of taco seasoning, a can of diced tomatoes, two small cans of tomato sauce and at least one can of dark red kidney beans (which I'd normally never eat), so I got a couple of green peppers and chopped them up to throw in as well.
Does that sort of count as "red beans and rice"? lol

Vague attempt at "Spanglish Rice" was moderately successful...

It's a little bit dry, could have benefitted from more sauce/diced maters, but the two packages of taco seasoning gave it just enough of that spicy flavor without actually any of the burning sensation and indigestion that generally accompanies it, lol.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In this week's episode of Giant Pot of Whatever, Jack had 2lbs of white rice, shredded meat from a turkey he'd cooked awhile ago and frozen, and some onions. I'd considered just doing the usual rice-and-whatever, but didn't have all the cans of vegetables I'd normally use...
I did, however, have two packages of taco seasoning, a can of diced tomatoes, two small cans of tomato sauce and at least one can of dark red kidney beans (which I'd normally never eat), so I got a couple of green peppers and chopped them up to throw in as well.
Does that sort of count as "red beans and rice"? lol

Vague attempt at "Spanglish Rice" was moderately successful...

It's a little bit dry, could have benefitted from more sauce/diced maters, but the two packages of taco seasoning gave it just enough of that spicy flavor without actually any of the burning sensation and indigestion that generally accompanies it, lol.
It may not be authentic, but if it tastes good, it’s good.

I know how to make several kinds of gumbo, including two that might make my fellow creoles look at me funny. Both have a common characteristic: they’re formulated in such a way as to be ready quickly.

One is a shrimp, chicken & sausage one that is thickened to the point of being a sauce. I serve it over pasta.

The other is one we call “Bachelor Gumbo”. It’s made with canned stewed okra, canned chicken, and so forth- essentially you open cans, dump the contents in a pot, season and heat it. You might add some stuff from your fridge. 30 minutes later, you’re eating.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
It may not be authentic, but if it tastes good, it’s good.

I know how to make several kinds of gumbo, including two that might make my fellow creoles look at me funny. Both have a common characteristic: they’re formulated in such a way as to be ready quickly.

One is a shrimp, chicken & sausage one that is thickened to the point of being a sauce. I serve it over pasta.

The other is one we call “Bachelor Gumbo”. It’s made with canned stewed okra, canned chicken, and so forth- essentially you open cans, dump the contents in a pot, season and heat it. You might add some stuff from your fridge. 30 minutes later, you’re eating.
Sometimes you're making something special, for a special occasion and/or special people.

Sometimes you just have folks who are hungry, and less than an hour before they start gnawing off limbs.

Zardnaar

Legend
Half hour prep time is long for us. Had precooked chicken turned it into a salad in bun the other day took about 5 minutes.

Summer though sometimes just have cereal for dinner and maybe a hot breakfast.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Made old-school Roman Army style pizzas today, lol - have an overabundance of grated Romano cheese and no idea what to do with it all, so I took the three pita breads I had, rubbed them with oil, added the cheese, onions and some shredded chicken, and tossed them on a cookie sheet at around 400 for about twenty minutes...

Zardnaar

Legend
Sounds good to me!

We just ordered takeout pizzas from a place around the corner.

Verdict?

Friday night hear and eat. Last of those pies from the 7 hour drive. Corned beef and mustard. Bit salty for my taste.

IMG_20230202_175234.jpg

Remove ads