Core+1

jgsugden

Legend
Not really, cause option 2 would require altering the content of the PHB. My suggestion doesn’t. I’m just suggesting that the Psion and/or Artificer be explicitly made exceptions to PHB+1.
Read option 2 again. It suggests adding a new book that also counts as core/phb... basically, PHB + this book + 1 would be the new rule.

CapnZapp

Legend
I agree, but it does have some kinks that need ironing out, such as what to do with races that don't exist or are replaced by others, for example. There may need to be a core+setting+supplement system if settings like Dark Sun, or Dragonlance are to get proper support. But that's assuming we ever get a setting that deviates from the PHB norm in any reasonable manner, and right now I don't see a huge appetite from WotC to do more with thier other settings than mine then for ideas and references.
WotC quite likes the fact that when a new edition's PHB introduces a brand new race or class, it has suddenly been a part of the Realms, however obscure its history.

In short: don't make it more difficult than it absolutely needs to be. The solutions to problems you raise might be much more simple and straightforward than you like.

jgsugden

Legend
Which is not what I’m suggesting.
So the Psion and artificer would be exceptions to PHB+1 instead of having the book that contained them being treated the same as the PHB for the rule? Essentially, the same net effect. You get to play Psion and artificer nd their support materials as core materials.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So the Psion and artificer would be exceptions to PHB+1 instead of having the book that contained them being treated the same as the PHB for the rule? Essentially, the same net effect.
Except that in your version, the rest of the stuff in that book becomes part of the PHB for that purpose too.

CapnZapp

Legend
Remember, these people are discussing house rules to official tournament rules.

It is safe to say the number of players affected by this is very low.

Keravath

Explorer
They chose a simple rule to address a potential problem rather than something more elegant. My preference would be that they have a list of "character creation and advancement" features that are considered "exotic" and limit the number you can take while allowing any combination of everything else:

* You can have either an exotic race or an exotic class.
* You can select no more than three exotic spells to add to your character during the life of the character.
* You can select no more than one exotic feat for a character.
* If your character is allowed to start with a magic item, it can't be more than one item.

Isn't this essentially what WOTC has done?

They designate the PHB as Basic and allow the characters to use one exotic source of content that often includes races/spells/character archetypes. You are only allowed to use one exotic choice at a time.

This avoids characters taking an exotic race (yuan-ti), exotic spells (booming blade and/or green flame blade) and an exotic class (hexblade warlock and/or shadow sorcerer). It also prevents using the melee cantrips mentioned above unless you choose that source book since they can be very valuable to a wide range of builds.

Basically, the only difference between your suggestion and what WOTC does is how they label and group what is considered exotic.

For example, they allow you to take one of the exotic races from Volo's but in doing so you are then limited to only the basics for other choices because some of those races are quite powerful. Similarly, if you work with the exotic contents in SCAG you can choose the exotic archetype of bladesinger which works well with the melee cantrips.

Only allowing the basic source plus one exotic source makes it easier to avoid folks building characters that take advantage of obvious synergies.

(one example that you can't play in DDAL would be a Shadar-Kai hexblade or shadow sorcerer which is too bad since it is very thematic ... maybe they will issue some exceptions :)).

jgsugden

Legend
Except that in your version, the rest of the stuff in that book becomes part of the PHB for that purpose too.
Like the class specific spells/powers the Psion (and Artificer?) would use? THe majority of the book would need to be included to support the classes.

jgsugden

Legend
Isn't this essentially what WOTC has done?...
Around the questionable core mechanics? Yes. However, for the stuff that is not 'controversial' or 'risky', it opens the floodgates. You can take spells from five different sources, so long as they are not ones that have been given the restricted label.

Heck, you could even take PHB stuff like GWM and SS and put it on the exotic table.... Making stuff in the main books limited.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Like the class specific spells/powers the Psion (and Artificer?) would use? THe majority of the book would need to be included to support the classes.

I assume Psionic Disciplines would be part of the class, since that class would be the only one that can use them and they are essential for the class to work. I also don’t assume there would be Psionic-specific spells. If the Artificer is a spellcaster, I would assume it would have a spell list, which would be drawn from the core PHB spells. If the book that introduces the Artificer contains new spells, I would assume it would contain new spells for all spellcasters, and if you want to use those spells, you need to choose that book as your +1, whether or not your character is an Artificer.

Remove ads