• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Core books cover art

HeinorNY

First Post
JVisgaitis said:
There were a lot of postings about this after the Gencon release. I hope they redo it. Why we can't get a party of adventurers in a "Dungeon" fighting a "Dragon" I'll never know. Here's the redux cover I did some time ago. While I'm not WAR's biggest fan, this is pretty close to perfect for me.

4ephbredux.jpg
Much better. I hope WOTC take a look at this thread.
D&D PHB needs a D&D cover.

danbuter1 said:
They're an improvement over the 3e covers. But I really wish WotC would hire someone other than Reynolds to do art. I really think Angus McBride, John Howe, or Alan Lee would do a much better job. And if any rpg company can afford them, it's WotC.
Well, Angus McBride has been dead for a year or two now, so it might take more than the lure of cash to bring him back to do artwork.

And... I guess you're saying that you think D&D should be a Lord of the Rings clone?

Hey, that green dragon pic---that's not on WAR's website. Where'd you find that? I need a copy for my digital fantasy art collection. Badly. :)

EDIT: Whoops! My bad. He died this last May, so only 4-5 months ago.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Hjorimir said:
WAR is generally pretty darn good. Though if it were up to me, I would have gone with Michael Komarck.
While love WAR's art, I have to say, Kormarck would be a better choice for the cover. WAR's art is dynamic and powerful - and doesn't suffer from being interior art. And his covers are often associated with Eberron. I like his association with Eberron, give him all Eberron covers... and fill the books with WAR. But for a PHB cover, I like Kormarck's atmospheric art.

In any case - we need the Green Dragon pic, if we go with a WAR-piece.

Cheers, LT.

Scribble

First Post
Hobo said:
Well, Angus McBride has been dead for a year or two now, so it might take more than the lure of cash to bring him back to do artwork.

And... I guess you're saying that you think D&D should be a Lord of the Rings clone?

Hey, that green dragon pic---that's not on WAR's website. Where'd you find that? I need a copy for my digital fantasy art collection. Badly. :)

EDIT: Whoops! My bad. He died this last May, so only 4-5 months ago.

ARISE ARTIST! ARISE! I COMMAND YOU TO RISE UP FROM YOUR GRAVE AND PAINT FOR ME THE MOST UNHOLY OF PHB COVERS!

Also, I think as others have said, the thing that blows the cover layout is the stupid background banding they use to offset the words.

Klaus

First Post
Wormwood said:
I guess the reason I *don;t* like the green dragon cover is because it looks just like D&D.

There's nothing new or different about it. Just a bunch of guys in a room with a dragon. We've seen this image before.

*shrug*

I like the new cover because it effectively conveys a vision of D&D that is unexpected while still grounded in the swords & wizards genre.
It's called "branding". If you are putting out THE main book of D&D, it HAS to look like THE main book of D&D. In a perfect world, it has to show a dragon and a dungeon. It has to grab the eye. It has to prove the sentence "a picture is worth a thousand words" right.

The green dragon mock-up JVisgaitis put together does that.

The original PHB cover does not.

Klaus said:
The green dragon mock-up JVisgaitis put together does that.
It'd also be a cool Otus tribute, bringing to mind the cover of the Moldvay/Cook Basic set (stairs coming down, fighter vs. green dragon, etc) -- especially if the dragon on the other book is scrying the scene.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads