• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Core books cover art

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Lord Xtheth said:
Am I the only person ever who LIKED the "Tome" look to the 3.whatever books?
I don't know I always thought it looked better than art depicting whatever adventure the artist had in mind.
The new art looks way too bright and shiny to me, not dark and dungeon-y enough.
I liked it initially (though I liked the 3.0 version much more than the 3.5 versions - they're so... cluttered). But after seven years of faux-tomes, I'm more than bored of it.

Additionally, the non-tome covers became better and better - I love the "Heroes of Horror"-cover, and Malhavoc Press' "Arcana Unearthed" was probably one of the best covers I've ever seen. Faux-tome was nice... but it's time to get something better.

Cheers, LT.

Driddle

First Post
Dragonhelm said:
Personally, I'm tickled pink that the new books have actual art on the covers again, instead of the 3e "tome" look. Having art not only inspires, it is evocative of what D&D is all about.

Lord Xtheth said:
Am I the only person ever who LIKED the "Tome" look to the 3.whatever books?
I don't know I always thought it looked better than art depicting whatever adventure the artist had in mind.

I actually like(d) the fake-cover cover of 3rd edition.
Then again, art "inspiration" is a very personal matter. I find that once I've been exposed to a particular image, that interpretation of the subject tends to lodge itself in my brain -- and not always in a good way. I prefer to leave some concepts to my own imagination ... including the cover of book that envelopes such a comprehensive fantasy environment.

Moonshade

First Post
I'm another person who'd love it if the "party fights green dragon" pic replaced the current PHB cover. The first says Action!, the second features a couple of poseurs.

Driddle

First Post
lukelightning said:
I like the green dragon picture better, but that horn on its nose has got to go. It really gives the dragon a dorky expression/profile.

And why do you think green dragons are always in a bad mood, hmmmm?

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Hobo said:
Still looking for the source of that mockup. Where'd that green dragon pic come from?

It was posted here (I think) when 4e was announced at Gencon. Try the 4e info page. That's the biggest size they had, so if your looking for something bigger you're out of luck. If you do happen to find a bigger version, post it here. I'll make a bigger mock up.

JVisgaitis said:
It was posted here (I think) when 4e was announced at Gencon. Try the 4e info page. That's the biggest size they had, so if your looking for something bigger you're out of luck. If you do happen to find a bigger version, post it here. I'll make a bigger mock up.
cry.gif

EDIT: Actually, I went trawling through the news and found it---but it was a thumbnail to a fairly large high resolution file. So w00t.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads