CORELINE (D20 Modern/D20 BESM Setting).

Ravage_mk2

First Post
If not a full fledged Titans, then at the very least an Anti-Pariah inquisition.

Well when Kyubei explained the reasons for why the Incubators do things, I could not help but think of a certain Spock quote: "the need of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one"

Seriously, on the one hand, Incubators would be the Vulcan ideal: pure logic, unfettered by emotions of any kind.
On the other hand, they showcase the aspect of that same emotionless pure logic making it very easy to marginalize life itself.

Had I to pick a D&D Alignment for Kyubei and the Incubators, I'd say True Neutral

Come to think of it, there is a race of beings in D&D that would probably have the Incubators as sworn enemies.
The "Inevitables", specificly that subtype that hunts/punishes "Wish" users.
Considering the Incubators rewrite (part of) the universe every freaking time they recruit a magical girl, the Inevitables have a long road ahead of them.

Well, one problem is that they never mentioned an actual homeworld for the Incubators.
If they had..... I doubt it would have survived all that long considering all the planet busting gear/abilities around.

Fairytail, in Coreline, I can see as a spiritual successor to Ranma 1/2's "Nerima Wrecking Crew" in regard to property damage.

The gundam / red comet armours for Erza are pretty much the "gundam girl" or "mecha girl" artwork ideology, combined with her armour shifting magic.

The Magic Council from FT would no doubt be working together with the TSAB, two bodies entrusted with upholding proper magic usage? What could possily go wrong?

Well, there was that one incident where a group of ghostbusters tried to capture Mavis Vermillion....

And I mentioned a "Coreline Educational Agency" a long while back right? Pretty much an uphill battle vs all the school aged (fiction) people not actually in a school :p

Well, there is a potential military wing for them, but I'm still trying to patch together a few details.
Warning: Moe content might be a tad high considering what I'm working with.

Yeah, you mentioned the Coreline Education Authority. Thinking it is pretty hard for it to do stuff-after all, the collective crazy of the world can make the gears run with difficulty. Assume that, yeah, they have an armed response ready for those cases in which things get hard-potential Columbine and stuff.

I was thinking for a second about places like Medfield College, Miskatonic University and even East Texas University (yeah, been looking at one or two Savage Worlds settings for a while-if nothing else, the info available about them on the Net), as well as Honnouji Academy.

I guess that the Coreline Education Authority has classified their locations on two or three degrees: there is the "low risk" (as in, there is always a damn risk involved but people arrive and try their damnedest to keep things neat and actually want to learn-an example could be Medfield, with rampaging science going wrong but people not actively trying to use it maliciously), there is a "mid-risk" (which is a place like, say, Nerima High-it's an insane place, but people are trying to learn and try to keep the crazy within the school limits. Also it's possible for the CEA to police the place with some effort), and then there is "high-risk" (like Honnouji or the more severely nasty versions of Springfield Elementary. The place is just plain impossible to police, so the CEA has decided to turn it and a perimeter around it into a "free-fire zone" and the worst, Darwin Awards-worthy cases are tossed in. Teachers and principals sent in are all pretty hard-core top-tier-predator bad***es with orders to make sure that the students that are salvageable cases are saved, and the ones that are not don't become threats to society outside of the school grounds… or ever).

High-risk schools are like the New York Federal Penitentiary: sentencing to serve time there is, one way or another, a life sentence.

And yeah, the "Free-Fire Zone" thing is a reference to "Class of 1999".

I could be wrong here, though. Feel free to ignore idea if it clashes too hard.

All right, thank you. The "Citizen Of The Imperium" advantage they have I was thinking of adding to Imperium citizens in general to reflect the "kill heretics with FIRE!" mentality they have in general (and probably gets a boost within the setting. There may be guys willing to live and let live, but there are also guys who would like nothing more than start a Crusade to take Earth back from the Emperor-less legions).

Ravage_mk2

First Post
Well, even if your view and my view on the CEA clash a bit, there are, in setting, solutions for running both versions.

Thanks to a certain fictional series called "Sliders"
And I believe Marvel's "Infinite Crisis on Infinite Earths" or whatever it was called exactly?

Heck, we'd need a few side dimensions to store everything anyway (all that hammer space....)

Well, guess we can find some solution for that (the CEA clash). Then again, you're the guy who had the idea, I am just tossing some additional ideas (which can be picked up or rejected, no prob).

As for side dimensions, was thinking of CLULESS creating some "pocket" dimensions here and there for some locations (for example, some of the Springfields. They have been taken over in a major or minor way by the Simpsons Springfield-"minor" being just some added stuff like Moe's Tavern, the Springfield Nuclear Plant and Springfield Elementary, while "major" adds everything that has appeared during the twenty-plus seasons of the show, which includes such crazy things as a desert about as big as Texas (or bigger *than* Texas, cannot recall the exact detail)).

And "Crisis On Infinite Earths" happened on DC Comics. Marvel has had a lot of dimensional craziness here and there, too. Recently they have been adding something called "incursions" where dimensions open to each other and at best characters from each go to the other and at worst it's a full-on collision that will obliterate a lot of stuff.

Guess the term would be used to designate travel between two universes, willing or unwilling.

Last edited:

Lord Zack

Explorer
Been playing a lot of X-Com Enemy Unknown lately and been thinking of how it would fit in Coreline. I imagine that the X-Com project would recognize the benefit of maintaining good relations with organizations with similar purviews. In particular X-Com squads might act as sort of Special Weapons and Tactics teams for the MIB. The MIB would investigate alien activity and if it's necessary to bring down the hammer they call in X-Com. X-Com might also cooperate with the more benevolent instances of the Divine Crusaders.

Another factor to consider with X-Com is that they make weapon sales. Primarily to governmental organizations, but it's still theoretically possible that the PCs might obtain their weapons or armor. I might try to stat them out.

Last edited:

Been playing a lot of X-Com Enemy Unknown lately and been thinking of how it would fit in Coreline. I imagine that the X-Com project would recognize the benefit of maintaining good relations with organizations with similar purviews. In particular X-Com squads might act as sort of Special Weapons and Tactics teams for the MIB. The MIB would investigate alien activity and if it's necessary to bring down the hammer they call in X-Com. X-Com might also cooperate with the more benevolent instances of the Divine Crusaders.

Another factor to consider with X-Com is that they make weapon sales. Primarily to governmental organizations, but it's still theoretically possible that the PCs might obtain their weapons or armor. I might try to stat them out.

X-COM exists within The Line as part of AEGIS (admittedly, the idea of AEGIS absorbing X-COM and SHADO was done looooooonnnnnnggggg before the new game was launched). X-COM gets from this a funny salute (a "reverse-V"), a different sigil, gear from other shows (such as SHADO-Mobiles), access to powered personnel other than psionics and some bases around the world such as under Harlington-Straker Studios in the UK. And some "plain-clothes" personnel with a bit of 1960's personality.

Aside from that, X-COM is... well, X-COM. Probably a "lighter and softer" X-COM ("live and let live" orders with non-threatening alien races and probably even alliances), but still X-COM. Them having an alliance with the Men In Black and the Crusaders sounds pretty good, actually.

As for X-COM making weapons and equipment sales, I guess that they could have created MarSec Corporation to perform this job. MarSec is X-COM like Greymalkin Industries is the X-Men (which is to say it's about 70-80% interchangeable. Well, probably 80 to 90 with MarSec).

As for X-COM and games of that style... was thinking about adding "Xenonauts" (http://xenonauts.wikia.com/wiki/Xenonauts_Wiki), added as well to AEGIS and weapons produced by MarSec.

OK, was trying to think of stuff to expand on the Solar System of the setting.

Insofar... well, have some ideas for Mars. I think we could add more, and the ideas need refinement, but I am hitting a rut.

Here is a list of the stuff I've thought so far:

+Planet has been terraformed for the most part but holds a number of environmental issues (pressure is slightly lower, there is a slightly higher CO2 content, there are massively powerful sandstorms (all of which together means that environmental protection suits or at least a good respirator are important survival gear), etc). There are a few patches of terrain here and there where the environment is still as it is on RL Mars (so requires pressurized suit or environmental adaptation to visit), the only two locations with full terraforming to Earth-like environmental conditions (including increased gravity) are a pair of cities, one of which is the Mars Kingdom (Sailor Moon-verse, run by Rei Hino, Techno-Magical means of terraforming and keeping the worse of the environment hazards away).

+The Negima-verse "Magical World" exists on Mars, within an alternate plane that is "superimposed" over the planet (has full Earth-like environmental conditions, although some but not all geography is similar to Mars). Lots of magical energy, no "end of the Magical World" issues like on NEgima canon in sight (or at least, naturally).

+Utopia Planitia Yards in orbit.

+City (guess capital) on Mount Olympus No idea whether to add something like an orbital elevator to it or not.

+LOTS of Martian Fictions running around (like the BArsoomians). Lots of Nero-Sapiens, too.

+Adaptus Mechanicus monastery.

+Panzer Kreutz is a major martial arts. Cyborgs are suspected of because of this art's insane destructive capability.

+City of Cowboy Bebop (need to invent name) exists here. Other city with full Earth-like conditions.

Remove ads