CORELINE (D20 Modern/D20 BESM Setting).

Lord Zack

Explorer
Well it seems that if you can pilot one mobile suit, you shouldn't have that much trouble adapting to another, including from Federation to Zeon mobile suits. GMs are not equipped with the Core Block System, however.

kronos182

Adventurer
Well it seems that if you can pilot one mobile suit, you shouldn't have that much trouble adapting to another, including from Federation to Zeon mobile suits. GMs are not equipped with the Core Block System, however.

As I said, I could be wrong. I haven't seen all of the Gundam series, or read all the info on them.
As for switching between different mechs.. that makes sense for the most part.. especially in the Gundam universe.. they all use the same basic principles of how they are built and operate, so the major differences is just reaction times, equipment mounted and aesthetics.

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Depending upon how immersive you would want the world some things would change gameplay.... I review which gundam series I have and make some notations to post here later.

1:OS for the various factions would differ unless the mecha all come from one solitary manufacturer i.e. Patlabor
2: Cockpit layout like American and European vehicles may have the layout differently
3:Security afterall we are talking a military mecha would most likely require an encryption keycard and password to start the unit

Lord Zack

Explorer
That kind of varies by series, but it's often easy enough for a newb pilot to operate a mobile suit. Zakus in particular are supposed to be easy to operate. Even if that wasn't the case however, it wouldn't stop me from ignoring that fact.

Depending upon how immersive you would want the world some things would change gameplay.... I review which gundam series I have and make some notations to post here later.

1:OS for the various factions would differ unless the mecha all come from one solitary manufacturer i.e. Patlabor
2: Cockpit layout like American and European vehicles may have the layout differently
3:Security afterall we are talking a military mecha would most likely require an encryption keycard and password to start the unit

Well, some shows feature biometrics as a security feature for the mecha (example is the Gundams of "Gundam 00"--at the very least they do an eye scan when activating). A couple feature something about how they only work for a certain type of people/race/whatever because of reasons like not having a brain that can process whatever the mecha is showing you fast enough or the mecha's reflexes being calibrated to a type of reaction speed that not everybody has.

AnimeSniper

Explorer
Well, some shows feature biometrics as a security feature for the mecha (example is the Gundams of "Gundam 00"--at the very least they do an eye scan when activating). A couple feature something about how they only work for a certain type of people/race/whatever because of reasons like not having a brain that can process whatever the mecha is showing you fast enough or the mecha's reflexes being calibrated to a type of reaction speed that not everybody has.

True like the Newtypes in the original series who could sense one another and had precognitive abilities... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amuro_Ray

Yeah, so there could be a Psi-Tech (think that's the name? Need to check the D20 Future Gear book again) Gadget for weapons/armor/gear and for vehicles where you can lockdown your stuff so it works with only your psionic powers (or for people with psionic powers in general).

Lord Zack

Explorer
On second thought the PCs might at least get the assistance of Earth Federation personnel in activating the Zakus. These particular Zakus might have features making them easier to pilot as well. I had conceived these particular Zakus as being test types or aggressor units used by the Earth Federation.

Many mechs in various series do have certain security features. For instance, Combattler V has special computerized helmets that help the pilots to operate the machine, but are keyed to their brainwaves. Mazinger Z cannot be operated without the plider, etc. However often enough some novice is able to operate a machine with little or no training (though it helps that many are not exactly ordinary) or either a good guy or a villain steals a machine and is able to relatively easily operate it.

So I guess a) we could make a general "security lock" Gadget for Mecha (general rules of more expensive is more hard to break, player's choice of what the lock is, within GM-accepted limits and stuff like acceptable Progress Levels (because some of those locks are at the same PL as the Mecha, and some "Super Robot" settings obviously had the Robot at a higher level than the rest of the world) and b) a Feat (or Tree) that allows the characters to hack those security locks (ok, the lock has a difficulty to roll set and all, but the idea with this Feat/tree is triggering those "I just sat on this thing and all of a sudden it started moving!" or "whoops, so much for the vaunted security of (whatever the heck the Mecha is called)!" moments).

Remove ads