Corrections to Monsters in the CC

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
From time to time, we find corrections that need to be made to monsters that are already in the CC, so I thought I'd start this thread as a place to post about them without interrupting conversions in progress.

In fact, Cleon and I often find minor errors during the upload process, which we can correct ourselves, but there are sometimes bigger ones that we'd prefer to open to general discussion (in principle) before making them.

Here's our first example: I was in the middle of uploading the narra when I noticed that it had the "know alignment" SLA, which of course doesn't exist in 3.X. As a stop-gap, I replaced that with detect good, but Cleon and I think we should probably replace it with a unique Su or Sp ability closer to the 1e know alignment spell. There are candidate abilities extant in the botswanna golgalarka, grythok, and koodjanuk, though none of these is touch range like the original spell. So, what do we all want to do for the narra? I'm leaning toward something like the botswanna golgalarka, but I don't think it should be automatic for any critter in range.

freyar

Why is the vampire-spectre's treasure "None", when it had treasure originally and vampires have double standard in the Monster Manual?
Odd, seems like we didn't discuss treasure. Probably that was a cut-paste error. So, what do you suggest?

freyar

Probably double standard, since that's what vampires get in 3e.
OK, I'll give a short while for anyone else to chime in. After the edit, you'll notice that the size will change from "Medium" to the 3e "Medium-sized" due to some bugs with the editing function...

Any thoughts on the narra's know alignment? I'm thinking of something like

Detect Alignment (Su): A narra can detect the alignment of any creature that comes within 60 feet as a standard action. This ability can be fooled by any spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability that masks a creature's alignment (or the Use Magic Device skill, although that requires a successful emulate alignment check prior to entering range of this ability and maintaining concentration the whole time within range).

Cleon

Legend
OK, I'll give a short while for anyone else to chime in. After the edit, you'll notice that the size will change from "Medium" to the 3e "Medium-sized" due to some bugs with the editing function...

Any thoughts on the narra's know alignment? I'm thinking of something like

Detect Alignment (Su): A narra can detect the alignment of any creature that comes within 60 feet as a standard action. This ability can be fooled by any spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability that masks a creature's alignment (or the Use Magic Device skill, although that requires a successful emulate alignment check prior to entering range of this ability and maintaining concentration the whole time within range).

You know, I'd be game to make it a touch effect like the original spell:

Touch Alignment (Su): As a standard action, a narra can sense the alignment of a single creature or object it is touching (chaos, evil, good or law) as well as the power of this aura (faint, moderate, strong, or overwhelming - see the detect evil spell for details). This ability requires a successful touch attack if the target is being uncooperative. The narra does not risk being stunned if it senses an overwhelming aura with an alignment opposite to its own. This ability can be fooled by any spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability that masks a creature's alignment.

freyar

I like that pretty well except for the name. If you don't like Detect Alignment due to having used it before, maybe we can go with something like "Determine Alignment" or "Sense Alignment." Also, are you allowing the UMD skill to work? I'm not sure it's an Su ability.

Cleon

Legend
I like that pretty well except for the name. If you don't like Detect Alignment due to having used it before, maybe we can go with something like "Determine Alignment" or "Sense Alignment." Also, are you allowing the UMD skill to work? I'm not sure it's an Su ability.

Well UMD doesn't fool detect evil and the like does it, it's normally only for magic items with alignment restrictions.

As for (Su), I was just following your lead on "Detect Alignment", but I'd be fine making it (Sp).

Should we allow a saving throw and/or spell resistance?

freyar

I was actually asking if UMD is an Su ability! Anyway, I am fine with leaving UMD out of the ways to bypass the ability. As for a save, the original version doesn't allow a save, so I'd leave that off. Assuming we keep it Su, I also wouldn't allow SR. In that case, I'd be happy with using your "Touch Alignment" ability as is with just a change of name.

I've now corrected the treasure on the vampire-spectre.

Cleon

Legend
I was actually asking if UMD is an Su ability! Anyway, I am fine with leaving UMD out of the ways to bypass the ability. As for a save, the original version doesn't allow a save, so I'd leave that off. Assuming we keep it Su, I also wouldn't allow SR. In that case, I'd be happy with using your "Touch Alignment" ability as is with just a change of name.

Well I suppose Use Magic Device would technically be an (Ex) ability, but it won't be of much use in an antimagic field!

I'm fine making it no-save since that's how it worked in AD&D. 3E detect [alignment] spells are no-SR, so I'd have this "Know Alignment" ability not allow spell resistance.

I've now corrected the treasure on the vampire-spectre.

Agreed.

The original Vampire-Spectre has Treasure Type F, the same as an AD&D Vampire, so we should have the treasure match in out 3E conversion too.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases