• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cost of Magic Item Enchanment

Lehab

First Post
What would the cost of an enchanmet to a magic weapon that Blasted 1d4 constitution points with no save. For each CON point blasted the taget would be stuned 1 round Fortitude save DC 18 to negate.

majustismp15

First Post
Ability damage with no save?!?! What level is the character who's using this? Also, how times is it usable? If it's on command or continuous:
SRD-
Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp. I don't know what spell you are trying to mimic, sound like a saveless poison spell.

Krelios

First Post
Assuming 2 points of Con per hit and an average of 12 Con (to be conservative), that's a dead opponent in 6 attacks. Worst case, 18 attacks (1 point of Con per hit and 18 Con). A Vorpal weapon kills on a natural 20 and a "confirmation roll". That's about 2.5% of the time assuming your confirmation roll is 50/50.

So basically you have to hit with your Vorpal weapon about 40 times to get the equivalent of this enchantment hitting 6 times (all assuming pure averages), so this weapon is almost 7 times as powerful as Vorpal. I'd say this is definately an Epic enchantment. I'd say +8 at the least.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Lehab said:
What would the cost of an enchanmet to a magic weapon that Blasted 1d4 constitution points with no save. For each CON point blasted the taget would be stuned 1 round Fortitude save DC 18 to negate.
Wounding is a +2 market modifier. I'm unclear as to how your desired ability would really function, so I'm not sure how to price it. Answer these questions: do you have to hit to 'blast 1d4 Con'? Is 'each Con point blasted' ability damage, ability drain, or something else? Is the stunning a supernatural or spell-like effect? Is this ability limited in times per day, or is it automatic on each attack?

Lehab

First Post
THe Character in question is ECL 20. Rouge 8/Warlock 12 IN order for blasting ability to function you have to hit your oppoent. It does not mimic any spell. The Weapon it tied to the Negitive Material plane. The weapon that I am trying to copy is a Morganti Blade from the Steven Brust books. IT is a continous effeect. I would consider giving ithe lCon blast effect ahigh Fortitude save say DC 20, that would efect tagets normaly immune to engery drain.

Infiniti2000

First Post
I would not allow it. Dealing 1d4 Con drain (assuming you meant ability drain and not energy drain) is too strong, even with a Fort save. Actually, the Fort save adds insult to injury because as your Con drops, so does your Fort save. It almost makes the Fort save meaningless, as I'm sure you intended. Couple it with stunning (even with a save) and it's way too strong. Then, add in the idea that it can be used against creature normally immune to ability drain and forget it. That's creates unresolvable issues that are best left unexplored.

As it is, I consider Wounding to be very powerful. I've a high level ranger in my game (16th), and it's really nasty. I think it'd be better priced at +3, quite frankly.

shilsen

Adventurer
Infiniti2000 said:
I would not allow it. Dealing 1d4 Con drain (assuming you meant ability drain and not energy drain) is too strong, even with a Fort save. Actually, the Fort save adds insult to injury because as your Con drops, so does your Fort save. It almost makes the Fort save meaningless, as I'm sure you intended. Couple it with stunning (even with a save) and it's way too strong. Then, add in the idea that it can be used against creature normally immune to ability drain and forget it. That's creates unresolvable issues that are best left unexplored.

What he said. Such an ability is off the chart power-wise. Way off.

As it is, I consider Wounding to be very powerful. I've a high level ranger in my game (16th), and it's really nasty. I think it'd be better priced at +3, quite frankly.

Agreed again. I actually don't use Wounding in my games. And the ability being discussed in this thread makes Wounding look seriously pathetic in comparison.

domino

First Post
I'd call it a +6 or +7 enchantment.

1d4 averages to 2.5 con per hit. Which would require Wounding stacked three times on a weapon. Add another +1 to get the stun (and that's inexpensive, really)

hafrogman

Adventurer
That's also not a very good way of modeling the morganti weapons. You're much better off looking at the nine-lives stealer sword as a base. Only it can do it always instead of just 9 times. Cost = (50/9)*2*base =~ 260,000.

That's got a DC 20, so if you want to make it saveless you've just broken the game, but you should be able to make it much more difficult to save against. Heightened version of the spell?

Infiniti2000

First Post
domino said:
I'd call it a +6 or +7 enchantment.

1d4 averages to 2.5 con per hit. Which would require Wounding stacked three times on a weapon. Add another +1 to get the stun (and that's inexpensive, really)
Wounding is damage, not drain. Drain is a-whole-nother level of badness. And stunning is exceptionally powerful. As a PC I would much rather get drained 1 CON than get stunned 1d4 rounds EACH hit. Put this weapon in a fighter 20's hands (remember, ECL 20), and you could easily get hit 5 times per round (haste or boots of speed very likely), losing 5d4 CON DRAIN and being stunned for 5d4 ROUNDS.

Remove ads