• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Could 5E Use A Branded Magazine In Stores (Again)?

Would you like to see a monthly magazine like DUNGEON or DRAGON in print again?

• Yes!

Votes: 36 45.0%
  • No, you Flumph.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Maybe, but. . .

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Poll closed .

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
So, here's the thing - they don't need to do "magazine in e-format".

I guess they don't, and sure they are doing all that other stuff, but they're also still putting out Dragon+, which is very much a "magazine in e-format", even if it's not a PDF.

I don't have time as a working person to keep up with all the different articles and streams and podcasts, etc. I usually forget Dragon+ is a thing. But if I had a magazine subscription showing up to my house, I'd read it.

Horwath

Legend
I would rather see high quality rulebooks/settings/adventures than magazines.

Also a total ripoff of DnDBeyond should be readressed with prices.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
considering how many magazines WotC went through for their card games 20 years ago I'm honestly mildly surprised Dragon and Dungeon lasted as long as they did.
Would I like to see one? Absolutely! Would it be profitable? White Dwarf is still being printed. so maybe.
I feel like the entire point of White Dwarf is to sell Warhammer, which works 'cause it's like "look, look at all the pictures of miniatures you can buy and paint" with the convenience of not needing to direct someone to a computer or tablet screen. D&D doesn't really work that way, I mean yeah there are miniatures but that's not the selling point. a bunch of neat fantasy illustrations kinda clashes with the reality of a bunch of people sitting at a table littered with paper and dice, and there are better ways now to distribute game material.

tommybahama

Adventurer
The reason why so many periodicals are failing IMHO is that the editors and publishers can't resist interjecting their politics into the product. You can publish a magazine without insulting 75% of your audience. I think if they keep the politics out then a relaunch of Dragon would succeed. I'd definitely subscribe.

"Here we ask three national association heads, including Thomas-Brooks, to elaborate on their experience in the markets where they operate. Borrowing from the legend of Mark Twain, we can say “reports of magazines’ death are greatly exaggerated”. Consider this:

In the United States, MPA’s Magazine Media Factbook 2018-2019 reports that the top 25 print magazines reach more adults and teens than the top 25 prime time shows. And, despite generational differences, magazine consumption is strong."

E-book sales are flat and are beaten by physical books 10 to 1. Can anyone find the sales for hardcover vs digital D&D books, especially for recent releases like Eberron?

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
The reason why so many periodicals are failing IMHO is that the editors and publishers can't resist interjecting their politics into the product. You can publish a magazine without insulting 75% of your audience. I think if they keep the politics out then a relaunch of Dragon would succeed. I'd definitely subscribe.
I did find it weird that one time Dungeon had a feature on King Bush II, Tyrant of the White Castle lmao

EDIT: it should go without saying, but idk what this guy is on about re: Dragon.

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
In the United States, MPA’s Magazine Media Factbook 2018-2019 reports that the top 25 print magazines reach more adults and teens than the top 25 prime time shows

One of the keys is advertising. How much external advertising would a reborn Dragon magazine attract? Actually, let me be more specific: how much non-hobby advertising would a reborn Dragon magazine attract? I remember precious little in the originals. You need advertising to make the product profitable.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd like something more than the occasional Dragon+ but I don't think it would make sense for them to start a physical magazine, I just don't think that's how younger players are really engaging with media nowadays. Instead they are going online to find information, an online publication of some sort might actually reach more players than a physical one.

Edit: I should note that I wouldn't actually want a physical copy of a potential magazine, I'd want to have a digital copy that I could download to any machine (phone, PC, tablet). It takes up less space than a physical magazine and is more convenient for me to access.

Last edited:

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
One of the keys is advertising. How much external advertising would a reborn Dragon magazine attract? Actually, let me be more specific: how much non-hobby advertising would a reborn Dragon magazine attract? I remember precious little in the originals. You need advertising to make the product profitable.
I have early, pre-Paizo issues of Dragon that were more than happy to advertise games that weren't TSR related, as well as books and video games. I doubt WotC would do the same in a more competitive market.

Remove ads