D&D General Could A Npc be Racist towards Elven Thieves but he's willing to befriend Elves that aren't Thieves and he will tolerate Thieves that aren't Elves?

I cannot fathom why a player would want to play such a character. Pure animosity towards 1 race I get that - perhaps suffered some trauma, or was swindled or something all from a particular being or beings from one race. You can delve into some awkward or even tense role-playing scenarios with the possibility of the character changing their mind through the course of the campaign.

I can understand a character who only purchases (insert particular trade good) crafted by x, believing their crafting skills are superior with the ability to build a deep network of particular associates and earn loyalty benefits.

But I find, and apologies, the OP idea for the character - a little 'meh'

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I know that in real life Racism is never good, reasonable, or justified but my thinking is that just because Racism is never good, reasonable and justified in real life doesn't mean that Racism can't be Racism is never good, reasonable, or justified in DAD

The best, in my opinion, example of Racism being good, reasonable and justified in DAD is the racism between Drow and Elves that aren't Drow that has been a massive part in every DAD campaign that I've either GM'd, played in or heard about, but that could be down to the way me and every GM I know or used to know either GM or used to GM DAD
I feel like you are just looking for folks to tell you it’s OK to feature racism in your game. Seems to be more a request for affirmation than opinion.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I say this with all sincerity. What you say above comes across an awful lot like:

"White people, you should be okay with black people stealing and doing other immoral behavior. If you aren't okay with that then you are a bigot and a racist that doesn't want to think about black people and are just out to pounce on them the moment they step out of line no matter how many black friends you have."
No, it doesn't. At all.

I think the better way to put it is him having a particular grudge against a specific elven gang due to past altercations/interactions. Maybe they just assume any elf stealing or engaging in criminal activity is a member of the Leafy Bois or something. The other way would be if elves are very much the dominant power, and other species stealing is just them trying to get by, but considers elves stealing to be "punching down", so to speak. Some halfling stealing bread is different from an elven fancy lad stealing the same loaf when they could easily afford it.

Remove ads