• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Could a thief get away with a 1-man crime wave by making it so obvious that she's the 1 responsible that the police assume she's being framed

G

Guest 7042500

Maybe, maybe not. Are the upstanding citizens willing to resist the justicar? As in, 'you will not take them!"

Seriously, you'd love that book. "You must answer the question!" "No." The members of the Guild of Goldsmiths, for example, didn't give two sh*ts for the "King's Justice." They were loyal to the Guild and its members, and fiercely jealous of their chartered rights.

Really fascinating.

JMISBEST

Explorer
I work in this field and there is zero chance at all that a law enforcement agency faced with nine pieces of evidence wouldn't arrest that person.

There is no such thing as too much evidence or the answer is too obvious. Most criminals are pretty stupid. They take photos of themselves at the crime scene, connect to the wifi, leave personal documents there, leave fingerprints on the TV remote, record a confession, and so on.

If there was any suspicion by the police that someone might have been framed, they would still arrest that person, interview them, and (unless 100% convinced) prosecute them. 'I was framed' is generally a defence to be tested at court.
2 things

The 1st is that their will always be less then 9 pieces of evidence at each crime scene

The 2nd is that the 9 pieces of circumstantial evidence that I mentioned were only examples of the kind of clues she could leave, and yes that includes the 1's like the gloves of a certain colour and the tobacco made by a certain race, meaning its possible that even if I did base a campaign on this idea that some of the examples I gave would never be used

General_Tangent

Adventurer
Keith Baker wrote an interesting sourcebook for Atlas Games titled "Crime and Punishment" which discusses law and order in a fantasy gameworld. It does differentiate between the King's Justice and also Divine Law.

JMISBEST

Explorer
I feel bad about raining on the OP's parade here! It might work as a defence in court, particularly if there is a jury or a bribable jury/presiding judge.
They don't even have to be bribable, all you have to do is be able to convince them that your right, the persecution is wrong and that you really have been framed

Remove ads