• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Could use your help

der_kluge

Adventurer
Here's what I would do:

Evaluate everything and consider what you think you will never use. I convinced myself that I was never going to play Planescape again, and sold off most of the secondary books. I kept a couple of them. I would imagine that if you sold all that PS stuff, you'd make about $1000.

So, sort everything out into four piles:
1. Never used, never will use
2. Never used, really want to use
3. Used, will never use again
4. Used, and intend to use again

Sell stacks 1 and 3.

Then, if you still need more money, sell stack 2.

Alternatively, consider which products are available as PDFs - many of the Planescape books are. And sell these - knowing that you could reaquire them as PDFs if you had to.

Olli

First Post
i don´t know whats the best way to sell those things is, but if u really want to part with this great stuff, there are quite a few items that could find a loving home here...

btw. i don´t think there are many better reasons to sell ur gaming stuff

good luck

Lockridge

First Post
I have to second Dragonlord. Don't do it. You have a collection that must have been built over years. You're just not going to get much for that great stuff and you'll probably regret it.

Aside from using credit or waiting, you might want to buy a less expensive stone in the ring. In the future when you're rich and famous you can take the ring into the store and get a bigger stone put in.

Besides, what if you new wife moves in and says, "ok, now I want you to teach me all that role playing stuff you like so much"?

Harmon

First Post
First of all, congrats on the future plans.

A suggestion that comes from my mom's recent marriage- go to a pawn shop, find a diamond of fair quality (nothing to expensive) take it to a jeweler and have him remove the band, offer him the gold in the band to foot part of the bill then have him make a new custom band. Mom and her hubby did that and the whole thing cost them less then $750 (if memory serves).

Do not buy a big diamond if you can't afford it, get her something nice, and don't try to be Donald Trump. If she wants something big then she is more interested in material then what you can (by the sounds of it) afford and you need to back away slowly.

When buying my wife's ring I asked her to pick it out, then we altered it, dropping the diamond into the ring so it wouldn't get lost or snagged on anything. My wife wears rubber gloves with her ring underneath (most people can not do that). Consider that in the purchase and design.

As far as selling your books- for the money? Try eBay.

Good luck, hope at least a 1/10 of a percent of what I said here helps. :D

Cevalic

First Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Dragonslord and Lockridge, Im only selling what I wont use. I understand what you're saying and appreciate it. Nicole would probably punch me if I sold something that I wanted to keep. The thing is most of my collection has sat in storage for two years, and I dont plan on using most of it again. Hackmaster and GURPS are enough to sustain me. Plus my passion for gaming isnt what it used to be. I still like to, but between regular life and work I dont have much time. So getting rid of most of this stuff isnt going to be something Ill regret.

I'll take a couple days though and sort through what I want to keep. There are a couple Planescape products I might keep, but other than that I think Ill throw it all up on these boards. Just have to figure out what to price it this stuff at. I was looking at the forum to try and see what others were asking for the same products. Didn't see any threads selling Alternity things so I guess I really just have to guestimate those ones

der_kludge, where are the planescape pdfs located? PDF's would work out quite well, since I very rarely use PS. Then I wouldnt have to keep those books.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and well wishes.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I'll have to agree with the others: Selling away your RPG books might not be the best problem:

Judging by that list, you're not just a guy who plays the occasional game to pass the time. Selling them off might not be the best idea, because chances are you'll want to use them again. It's not unlikely that you won't get that much for it, and might later want it back, going on a wild goose chase.

It might be considered quite romantic to give away the books to buy her a ring, but you'll have to ask yourself whether you won't want those books back later, and if there's a better way to get the money. Any excess organs you hardly use ;) :p

That having been said, I do think you could do some "spring cleaning": Books you bought but were not that happy with, books you already read, probably won't read again, and never, ever use in your games. Books that hold no sentimental value for you. If you think about keeping something, keep it. Don't even think about it until the rest is gone (or has proven unsellable) and you still need some dosh.

On another note: I would be interested in some of the books, but since we're probably on different continents (I'm from Germany, and I guess you're in the U.S.), and the shipping would mean that I'd pay too much for the books and/or you'd get too little.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads