Could We Have Four Million Dollar Kickstarters In The Next Month?

Million-dollar Kickstarters happen so frequently now that they aren't the epic news item they once were, but a month with potentially four of them is worth commenting on! Live right now (and launched at almost exactly the same time--MCDM slightly ahead of MCG) are Kickstarters from Matt Colville's MCDM and Monte Cook Games. Both hit a quarter million in the first hour...

Million-dollar Kickstarters happen so frequently now that they aren't the epic news item they once were, but a month with potentially four of them is worth commenting on!

Live right now (and launched at almost exactly the same time--MCDM slightly ahead of MCG) are Kickstarters from Matt Colville's MCDM and Monte Cook Games. Both hit a quarter million in the first hour.

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 5.33.44 PM.png

Matt Colville's MCDM has run two successul million dollar campaigns (one at $2M+). While Monte Cook Games has not had a million-dollar campaign yet, they have a massive following and run multiple blockbuster Kickstarters every year. This could be their first million-dollar Kickstarter.

And coming soon are Free League (no stranger to blockbuster Kickstarters) with its Bladerunner Kickstarter on May 3rd which already has nearly 5,000 followers anticipating its launch, and Ghostfire Gaming, the Australian company involved with a whole range of million-dollar campaigns -- sometimes as publisher, sometimes as contributor -- with Arora, a dragon-ravaged post-apocalyptic setting. also coming in May.

Free League raised over $2M for its The One Ring Kickstarter last year. Ghostfire is behind the Grim Hollow series, which includes a million-dollar campaign, and was also involved with campaigns for Eldermancy's million-dollar Twisted Taverns book and Dungeon Dudes' million-dollar Dungeons of Drakkenheim campaign.

Will they all hit the million dollar mark? We'll find out over the next few weeks!

Dire Bare

Legend
Just when I promised myself to cut back on nerd purchases . . . .

Old Gods of Appalachia looks innovative, different, and amazing. Regardless of the game system used.

Flee, Mortals! looks fun, useful, and PACKED. But $40 for the PDF? I'm sure it's worth it, but that's a lotta gold coins right there.

Arora looks like it might have some interesting innovations to the 5E system. I'm less interested in a fantasy post-apocalyptic campaign setting. Will keep an eye on this one.

It took years--literally six and a half years--to get my group interested in playing a Call of Cthulhu game. But eventually, I got an opportunity to host a one-shot, and I pulled out all the stops, and now it's in our regular game rotation.
That’s really the trick honestly - you just have to get them to step out of their comfort zone, but once you do, it’s almost always well received.

One of my old D&D groups in the 90s never wanted to play anything else. Similarly I begged them to let us try CoC. I had a couple of players who were adamant they wouldn’t enjoy it because “I can’t roleplay a scared character” and they just utterly refused to buy in.

After much begging and cajoling, I eventually convinced them to let me run a one-shot. Despite the setting being the least mood appropriate possible (Air Force dorm room on a weekend with the building across the parking lot blasting loud party music. I remember “YMCA” being played in particular.) I still managed to pull it off and even the skeptics said they were glad they tried it and that they actually liked it.

…Mind you, the next week I was back to running Planescape again and we never got to revisit CoC (with that exact group) but I was just glad that they let me try AND that they were pleasantly surprised.

Sometimes you really have to drag people kicking and screaming to new experiences. We’re all creatures of habit after all, so I get it. But think of how many fun new experiences your players are missing out on by not even giving a one shot a fair shake!

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Not ttrpg, but as an MtG player, this is the one whose total really surprised me...

35k+ supporters and $3.5+ mil with a little time left for really nice deck boxes by a major MtG personality.

I'm a huge Cypher guy, so far have all the Cypher specific books, and the core rules for all the standalone games using the Cypher System (Yeah, I'm a collector, and that is what the wife and I decided I could collect, so I don't go overboard). Just finished the Tidal Blades one (I just got the RPG) and Old Gods is looking awesome. They mentioned something about it late last year, and I've been listening to the podcast on Spotify, and I love it. I love old time radio (I listened to CBS radio mystery theater as a kid, and went looking for older stuff once you could find it on the internet - and that kind of the vibe I feel listening to it. If anyone hasn't listened to it, highly recommended.

Tidal Blades kickstarter just ended funding, Monte Cook's Diamond Throne published a much needed update, the last book from Heroes of Cypher system is coming soon, then Planebreaker. It is a good time to be a cypher system fan... well maybe bad on the wallet.

Right now Old Gods is at 685K in less than a day.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Tidal Blades kickstarter just ended funding, Monte Cook's Diamond Throne published a much needed update, the last book from Heroes of Cypher system is coming soon, then Planebreaker. It is a good time to be a cypher system fan... well maybe bad on the wallet.

Planebreaker's a 5e book, not a Cypher book, isn't it?

Remove ads

Remove ads