Could we please get a "4e General" forum

Harr

First Post
Ok, I understand the logic behind the recent forum changes. People should post their non-rules stuff in the general "All RPG" forum and keep stuff about the rules for the two Rules forums.

Thing is... it's not happening.

Now, I believe the single best way of internalizing a new ruleset is to get together with people and answer their questions about it. Catch is, that the questions have got to be genuine point of confusion or doubt for someone. Artificial test-like questions don't work. So, to find this type of this I come to the WotC Rules boards and here., looking for rules insights or questions.

But you can see for yourself, the 4e Rules forum is clogged with any number of general topics, polls, opinions, reviews, stories, etc. This is understandable and it's nobody's fault of course; you have something to say about 4e, you go to the largest forum that says "4e". It's just how people's minds work.

So, I really think that making a new 4e general forum will help to segregate out the 'general' topics and help the 4e Rules forum become focused and specialized into what we want it to be: questions and answers about the 4e rules.

Thanks!

Fobok

First Post
I think the problem may be less the lack of a 4e general forum, as much as the rules forum *used to be* a 4e general forum, and people are still getting used to the idea that it's not anymore.

Also, the link on the main Enworld page still just says '4e forum'.

Still, I'd actually like to see a separate 4e discussion and 3e discussion organization myself.

Jasperak

Adventurer
4e specific items should be in a specific 4e forum. Questioning how long a ritual takes does not seem to be a general RPG question. I am all for a 4e general forum even if it takes priority over a general rpg forum. I do come here for other stuff than 4e.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
When all 4e discussion was internalized in the previous 4e forum, discussion in General almost died. We'd like General to be for discussion of all games, including 4e.

We're working to keep the 4e rules forum more focused on just rules. We're not there quite yet, though.

Also note that if you have a non-D&D topic that requires special love, I don't think anyone is going to complain if you post it in the "General Gaming Rules" forum. That's the one that used to be all Pathfinder/OGL/d20.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Jasperak said:
4e specific items should be in a specific 4e forum. Questioning how long a ritual takes does not seem to be a general RPG question. I am all for a 4e general forum even if it takes priority over a general rpg forum. I do come here for other stuff than 4e.

No, it's a 4E Rules question. People posting things in the wrong forum doesn't indicate a need for a new forum!

JVisgaitis

Explorer
I mentioned this on here before. It doesn't help that the main page has a sublink under forums to 4e Forum which actually goes to the 4e Rules Forum.

maggot

First Post
Morrus said:
No, it's a 4E Rules question. People posting things in the wrong forum doesn't indicate a need for a new forum!

The problem I see is that 4e specific stuff like "How do rituals take to long?" or "Which is the best 4e race?" are neither rules nor house rules, they are opinions. So they clutter General to the point I've basically quit reading General.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
My Opinion/Suggestion...

Personally, I don't think there needs to be a General 4e Forum. 4e is brand new so, of course, it will dominate the General RPG Forum for a while. EN Worlders that aren't 4e-keeners, like me, will simply have to wait it out.

The thing I'd like to see is some tweaking of the categories list for the various forums. Right now there isn't even a option for 3E, anymore, under the General RPG Forum; however, it lists 1E/2E/OD&D and 4E.

Also, I'd like to see some new, less-generic categories in the General RPG Rules Discussion forum. I'd like to see a Pathfinder category and perhaps other categories as well. Of course, that might be asking too much.

However, I think the Plots & Places forum would definitely benefit from two new categories for Pathfinder and True20. I also noticed that there isn't a Dark Sun or Planescape (or The Planes) category in Plots & Places; although, there is a Spelljamming category.

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
maggot said:
The problem I see is that 4e specific stuff like "How do rituals take to long?" or "Which is the best 4e race?" are neither rules nor house rules, they are opinions.

More to the point, they are opinions relating to the latest version of Dungeons and Dragons. Since this is a fansite about Dungeons and Dragons, it is to be expected that such talk will take place.

Remove ads