• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Council of Thieves, Act I - The Bastards of Erebus [DISCUSSION]

Shayuri

First Post
I lolled.

I'm ashamed to admit it took me a second to place the tune to that. Been a looong time since I've seen a reference to that song. :)

Malvoisin

First Post
All right, everyone. The time draws nigh to kick this thing off. I will be taking some time today and tomorrow for the review of character sheets. In the meantime, I will need some background assistance from each of you in establishing our opening scene.

The game will begin with the assumption that each PC has been contacted by a woman named Janiven, and invited to participate in a clandestine meeting with other like-minded citizens who have a complaint of some sort against the current political staus quo of Westcrown. The objective is not rebellion or anarchy, but a 'hearts and minds' grassroots campaign to win over the general populace, as well as to provide protection to ordinary folks from the disturbing shadowy creatures that roam the city streets at night. Eventually, the group would like to return the city to the splendor and glory it possessed before Aroden’s death and the rise of the House of Thrune.

The method Janiven uses to contact to each PC is up to you, as is the manner in which he/she may have attracted her attention. Janiven may use flattery, an appeal to a sense of duty, or even the promise of monetary reward as a motivator to get your character to attend. Your choice of campaign trait and backstory should weigh heavily in this decision. But, ultimately, each PC should accept her offer to meet at a place called Vizio's Tavern at 4:00 PM that same day. I am asking that each player update/revise the background on your character sheet to reflect this fact.

I'll be happy to assist with ideas for making this premise work, if it's a struggle for you. I hope no one feels cheated out of the opportunity to role-play this encounter, but I thought it best, for this format, if we start the game with all of the PCs gathering together in the same place.

PS, thanks for the song parody, Mark. Well done!

Last edited:

Malvoisin

First Post
Character sheet review has commenced!

Mowgli, Slip is up first...

[sblock]
I actually just see two issues here.

1. Init should be +3, as far as I can tell.

2. Dagger damage is incorrectly listed as 1d6, should be 1d4.

Other than those two small fixes, everything looks great. Well done!
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Thorn could be motivated by a promise for information about her 'real' parents. Failing that, money and/or material comforts would always be welcome. :)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!

Mowgli, Slip is up first...

[sblock]
I actually just see two issues here.

1. Init should be +3, as far as I can tell.

2. Dagger damage is incorrectly listed as 1d6, should be 1d4.

Other than those two small fixes, everything looks great. Well done!
[/sblock]

Thanks - errors corrected! I'll work on an addition to her background this afternoon/evening.

Malvoisin

First Post
SelcSilverhand, I looked over Mero. My comments...

[sblock]

1. I think all of his attack mods are low by one. Perhaps a missed +1 for being of small size?

2. Possible a typo, but I think his touch AC should be 13, not 14.

3. I calculated each of his 3 saves as +2. I think the FORT save may be wrong simply due to an incorrect ability mod. As for his WILL save, I'm not sure where he got an extra +2 miscellaneous mod. You may have been indicating his extra +2 bonus vs. illusion. If that's the case, I'd prefer it be noted separately, rather than lumped in with the raw total.

Please take a look and let me know if you agree or disagree with my findings. Thanks!
[/sblock]

Malvoisin

First Post
Thorn could be motivated by a promise for information about her 'real' parents. Failing that, money and/or material comforts would always be welcome. :)

The former works for me. It's likely that Janiven would have heard of Thorn and her various exploits on the streets. And, a little research could easily unearth the fact that there are questions regarding her parentage. Janiven would certainly be willing to offer Thorn the assistance of her group in finding the truth, in return for her participation in the meeting. The fact that Thorn is a tiefling may be motivation enough for her to seek political change, in fact, as tieflings are regarded as despised second-class citizens in Westcrown, for the most part.

Heck, it may be just the fact that Janiven was willing to approach and actually speak to Thorn is meaningful enough to get her to attend. :)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure

Malvoisian, I am at home on a quickie computer thing right now and need to get to my service call soon...but I just wanted to tell you that I am going to make my character as the concept mold per my original post, but going with a pf rpg fighter per the srd. I will explain further later if you wish to know the why not a swashbuckllewr...until then->whoosh!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads