Coyote & Crow Joins The $1M TTRPG Club!

With just a few hours to go, the Native American tabletop RPG Coyote & Crow just went past the $1M milestone, making it the 7th tabletop RPG Kickstarter campaign ever to do so. Coyote & Crow is the third Kickstarter in the last month to do so. The first was 2016's 7th Sea from John Wick, followed by campaigns from Matt Colville (the undisputed champion of TTRPG Kickstarter) and Hit Point...
With just a few hours to go, the Native American tabletop RPG Coyote & Crow just went past the $1M milestone, making it the 7th tabletop RPG Kickstarter campaign ever to do so.

9ee882866d03c2eb968e940b9d41eeab_original.jpg

Coyote & Crow is the third Kickstarter in the last month to do so. The first was 2016's 7th Sea from John Wick, followed by campaigns from Matt Colville (the undisputed champion of TTRPG Kickstarter) and Hit Point Press in 2018 and 2019.

DateKickstarterCreator
March 20167th Sea: Second EditionJohn Wick
March 2018Strongholds & StreamingMatt Colville
April 2019Humblewood Campaign Setting for 5eHit Point Press
November 2019Kingdoms, Warfare & More Minis!Matt Colville
March 2021The One Ring Roleplaying Game, Second EditionFree League
March 2021The Seeker's Guide to Twisted TavernsEldermancy
April 2021Coyote & Crow the Roleplaying GameConnor Alexander

Congratulations to Connor Alexander and the team! If you want to get in on Coyote & Crow, you have about 6 hours from the time of writing this.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Crazy thing about this Kickstarter - it was only available in North America. I wonder how high it could have gotten if it was available world-wide? Another $500k easily, especially if fulfilled from EU and ANZ. Maybe they'll do a follow-on International edition.

Is this the first/only original RPG to break the $1m barrier?

All the rest appear to be sequels/editions or sourcebooks (either for specific RPGs or general usage). I backed it at the PDF level, because it's a pretty strong concept. Hopefully it's as good as it sounds.
Why is it that nearly half this list is from this year (and we only have April). People have nothing other to spend on?
I feel like some of this really has to be spill-over from 5E getting people into RPGs, not just existing RPG fans deciding to blow more cash.

imagineGod

Legend
Is this the first/only original RPG to break the $1m barrier?

All the rest appear to be sequels/editions or sourcebooks (either for specific RPGs or general usage). I backed it at the PDF level, because it's a pretty strong concept. Hopefully it's as good as it sounds.

I feel like some of this really has to be spill-over from 5E getting people into RPGs, not just existing RPG fans deciding to blow more cash.
Now that you mention it, Coyote and Crow looks like the first truly original new RPG, and also from a new creator without a track record and without a fan following in the thousands.

So Coyote and Crow raised over a million Dollars just on the strength of what the game offers on its own merit, without riding on past success, or popular IP or even without the D&D 5e rules.

There may actually be hobby redefining life outside 5th Edition's dominance.

MGibster

Legend
Now that you mention it, Coyote and Crow looks like the first truly original new RPG, and also from a new creator without a track record and without a fan following in the thousands.
You're not kidding that this is super impressive. I typically only bacj projects run by known individuals and I don't think any of the RPGs I've backed have hit the $1 million mark.
There may actually be hobby redefining life outside 5th Edition's dominance.
I agree. I think creators can really connect to a very specific audience with crowdfunding in a way that traditional marketing cannot.

I agree. I think creators can really connect to a very specific audience with crowdfunding in a way that traditional marketing cannot.
There's that, and I think Kickstarter connects you to people who aren't like, big nerds.

I'm not sure that's quite the right way to put it but... all my friends who have never been to DriveThruRPG, who generally only buy RPG books in paper formats (DNDBeyond being an exception), who don't think about RPGs all that much when not playing, and so on, are on Kickstarter, and hear about Kickstarter stuff somehow, often before I do, and do stuff like back weird indie RPGs. People who have a lot of disposable income have somehow all ended up on Kickstarter buying stuff - from my dad to co-workers.

So I dunno if it's about a "very specific" audience as much as an audience which is both extremely broad in terms of demographic (I know people from their 20s to their 70s backing stuff on there, and diverse in terms of backgrounds too), and is I think, better-off than average (because they have money to back projects which might not work out). There's also a "luxury" vibe to Kickstarter, which I don't know if I can exactly explain, but I think helps make people feel cool about spending money there.

Arilyn

Hero
Congratulations to the creators of this one. I backed it, and am excited to see it. I love the concept, especially placing it in the future.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I hemmed and hawed for too long about this one, and didn't back it. :(
I've leaned back toward wanting hard copies of my gaming material, and the printed version of this was $50 I think, and I just couldn't budget it in.
I don't feel bad about not supporting them, because they raised A MILLION DOLLARS. :D

Remove ads

Remove ads