• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crazy Question On Shields

Kristivas

First Post
It seems kinda ludicrous to add magical spikes to an already magical shield and come out with an item that ends up with higher than a +10 bonus, but how does it not work that way? I've asked lots of people, and they can't give me a straight answer. Most just say "It's too powerful, I wouldn't allow it." and that's that.

Still, taking a +5 heavy mithril shield of heavy fortification.. and adding +5 defending spikes to it.. I don't see where it says you can't do such.

Jack Simth

First Post
Rkhet said:
Hrm. A caster can use a defending weapon, a defending spiked shield, plus defending spiked armor, all at the same time...
... has both hands full, and can't cast spells with Somatic components, beacause you can't put spikes on a buckler. By RAW, his AC is throught the roof, though.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Nail said:
Can such a character benefit from the total +12 AC bonus?
It depends on whether you consider the shield a "sword." :p Also, I'd argue that defending states that you are wielding it and you have to be using the weapon, so that means you'll be attacking with it. If so, the character loses all of the shield bonus (i.e. +7). Now, a character with improved shield bash would get +12 AC, as long as they were attacking with the shield and you consider "sword" a typo.

But, it would not really be broken to allow this. The +5 AC bonus that theoretically stacks with all others cast an arm and a leg. I really doubt its worth and think the money would be far better spent elsewhere.

Nail

First Post
@ Infinity2000:
That's what I was thinking too. Still my current PC has a magic item in all the body slots, so I'm looking into less expensive ways to boost AC.

For example, my current "lowest plus" item is a Ring of Deflection +2. To upgrade to +3 costs (18,000gp -8,000gp) 10,000gp. Adding +1 defending spikes to my heavy mithral shield costs (8,000gp + 10gp) 8000gp. Cheaper!

.....I think. Hmmm......

Infiniti2000

First Post
Cheaper, but you have to be attacking with the shield, from my stance (as above). That's a debatable point, though, but keep it in mind in case the DM rules as I would. Alternatively you could create a custom item by adding a +1 bonus to AC (of a type you don't yet have) to one of your existing items, e.g. your periapt of wisdom. Regardless of the type or where you put it, I have to think it's a lot cheaper than 8K which is arguably not nearly as useful. :)

Nail

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Cheaper Alternatively you could create a custom item by adding a +1 bonus to AC (of a type you don't yet have) to one of your existing items, e.g. your periapt of wisdom.
Sure. Unless you've already done that, as I have. :) (And you'd better put it on a slotted item, and one that has a body slot affinity for protection --> amulets, barcers, cloaks, robes, and rings.)

I've proposed doing such a thing on these boards a year ago., and as you might imagine, I'm hardly the first to post about it. .....that is, adding a bunch of different types of armor bonus to one slotted item. It's legal, but some other posters had issues with that approach. :) Hence I'm looking for more methods.

The question, generally, is What is the highest AC at the lowest cost, and how much each "increment" of AC will cost. Armor and shield bonuses are cheapest, deflection and natural armor are the next most expensive, etc. So first get the armor and shield bonuses up to +1 (1,000gp), then get the deflection and natural armor bonuses up to +1 (2,000gp), then consider luck, sacred, and insight bonuses of +1 (2,500gp), then get the armor and shield bonuses to +2 (4,000gp).....and so on. :uhoh:

Nail

First Post
On Infiniti2000's other point: "Do you have to attack with it to activate the ability"?

I'd say the RAW says a very clear "no".

[EDIT] Okay....maybe "yes". :)

You have to "use" it........

Last edited:

Nail

First Post
The defending ability SRD:
Defending: A defending weapon allows the wielder to transfer some or all of the sword’s enhancement bonus to his AC as a bonus that stacks with all others. As a free action, the wielder chooses how to allocate the weapon’s enhancement bonus at the start of his turn before using the weapon, and the effect to AC lasts until his next turn.

Moderate abjuration; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, shield or shield of faith; Price +1 bonus.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Nail said:
I'd say the RAW says a very clear "no".

[EDIT] Okay....maybe "yes". :)

You have to "use" it........
LOL! :lol:

That's where I ended up. Note that probably everyone will houserule defending anyway (due to the mention of 'sword'), so I suggest you or the DM decide on how defending works in the campaign; i.e. redesign the ability from scratch.

As an aside and totally IMO from a DM's perspective, having a character with a god-like AC really sucks. It makes it difficult to design appropriate encounters, especially in large groups. I'd encourage you to have a good AC, perhaps even an excellent AC, but having an AC two or three times as high as anyone else in the party really just sucks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads