Creating non-stereotypical game worlds

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thing with that is, hardly anyone wants to play it. Just look at Talislanta. Many people love the idea, but playing it? Nope. Too much reading to do on all the new races and animals which are hard to remember. One player told me that while it is a good concept, he wants to just be able to delve right into the game without hours of required reading. and for the GMs, it is the same. My planned Talislanta game is on the back burner because I never seem to find the time to read the books often enough to know the world well enough to run a game in it.

Knowing the basics (dwarfs are short and sturdy, elves have pointed ears etc) helps people to connect,even if a dwarf culture happens to shun beer over wine and lives on the mountains instead of under.

If you look at Talisantha and D&D, the main difference- besides "No Elves!", of course- is that Talisantha tries to pack all of the player races into one book. Going back to 2Ed, there are probably as many if not more races in D&D suitable for players' PCs right out of the MM (or other sourcebook) as are in Talisantha.

...it's just that most of them are optional. I mean, nobody uses ALL the races of the Underdark in their Underdark campaigns. And it isn't as if those running aquatic campaigns use Locathah, Sahuagin, Tritons, Aquatic Elves, Ixitxachitl, etc.

Ditto Spelljammer, Athas, and any other setting or subpart you can think of.

There simply isn't room.

So what you do is you pick out the core races and cultures that define your campaign world, and put in the work to give the players the details they need. Then, if that list is insufficient, let the players come to you:

"Is there something like ___________ in the campaign setting? I'd like to play something like this concept I have, and that race works well for it..."

And then work with them to flesh out their oddball. At that point, at least that player will definitely be buying in.

Last edited:

To me, having a world with the "Tolkien races" (dwarfs, elves, etc.) still makes it stereotypical, even if some of their details are changed a bit.

I have never had a problem interesting players in games that don't focus on European-styled character races.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
That's odd, seriously :heh:

Yeah I do usually focus on 5-7 core races - although I have always used about all of the offered races I made it a habit to let something appear at least once in longer campaigns if it is in there in theory

Going by the majority of my players, they do want at least humans, dwarfs, orcs, goblins, gnomes, hobbits or similar named small folk , some of the races of our 3rd party books, felines, canines and after I mentioned Danny's turtle culture, turtles (this may also have to do with the fact that 4 of them are hardcore Ninja Turtle fans and they named possible tribes accordingly :lol: ) and 3 of our self made races They are not sure about elves, they only want them in if they are recognizably different as none of them is big on playing the current typical elves But that will be done They would also like to transfer a few Talislanta ideas And no drow haha And vampires are not going to be undead!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Bonus rounds:

1) I fused the traditional concept of orcs with visuals of the old Lankhmar ghouls. IOW, they have translucent flesh that makes them look like skeletons. The fact that they are living confuses the clerics. The fact that they look like skeletons scares everyone else.

2) make gnomes into true, foresty/naturey fey- that may mean boosting their powers a bit, but it also entails giving them appropriate vulnerabilities. If/when you do this, remove the same aspect from elves. Some may still be LIVING in the woods, but they aren't going to be in the same kind of harmony. Instead, they use their magic to dominate and reshape the wilds, like this:
https://www.gilroygardens.org/things-to-do/circus-trees

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Great ideas!

All races will have various cultures, probably as at odds with each other as some human cultures will be This will be especially true for elves and dwarfs so wood shaping elves fit right in

Also, humans will be the result of magically mixing most of the other races, which is also why they are so adaptable and multi-skilled, but also rather average and why half-humans will be a lot more common than any other halflings (we will call the halflings hobbits or some the like) Halflings without human ancestry will not be able to breed either

Now I need to find a world map )

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I try an place the races into a role, which I guess you can call a culture, example Halfling colonel plantation owners and Gnome Industrialist. These are the primary concepts for the setting I am trying to create, the other races then take roles supporting or opposing them and are more traditional fantasy.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I try an place the races into a role, which I guess you can call a culture, example Halfling colonel plantation owners and Gnome Industrialist.

I just had visions of 3' tall chicken-loving Kentucky Colonels in white suits and pince-Nez wearing captains of industry with (red) bowler & top hats.

Remove ads