D&D General Creativity?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Sure. But, you know as both a player and a GM, I can certainly imagine being a player in a game where if this happens more than once, I'll find a polite excuse never to come back to your game. Because I don't really want to be in a game where a functional way of playing it is arguing with and bullying the GM to get where you want, because that's just going to encourage players to engage with the GM and not with the game.
What on earth gave you the idea this was an argument? I explicitly said it wasn't!

And bullying, for God's sake? How was even one single part of my example "bullying" me? It was a reasonable discussion between friends. Friends who convinced one another to adopt a path that wasn't what either of them initially thought was correct/fitting/desirable, but which they both agreed was correct/fitting/desirable after discussing it, where discussion would have continued until both sides felt that way.

I'll be sure to mention your description of this hypothetical to the player though. I suspect he will find it both dumbfounding and hilarious in equal measure. Asserting himself in any context is a struggle. (I have mostly shy players.)

And more over, it's highly likely that if you are giving the player something that they want, that me as another player at the table watching that exchange am going to feel that you are just giving spotlight to someone who is being a jerk at the expense of my enjoyment and my character's spotlight.
What? Why? How? I am incredibly confused. Why are you assuming jerk behavior? Why are you assuming I would not do the same for you? How did you conclude that this would be so out of the blue when (as I have said several times) Dungeon World requires that all actions be rooted in and driven by the fiction? How could I possibly embrace any creativity at all, whatsoever, if I cannot have the player do things that aren't predefined?

And why would you feel resentment because one of your allies got a chance to do something cool? Do you really harbor such envy of your fellow players, or have I completely misread your position here?

And I don't want to compete in that metagame,
It's neither a competition nor metagame. What gave you any indication it was either?

so the more this actually happens, the more likely I am to just say "Oh well." and be gone. And I'm not going to tell you why,
....so you're going to respond to behavior you dislike with rude behavior of your own? Why? How is that even remotely productive?

because I don't really want to be part of the drama and get in an argument with a player who has demonstrated his willingness repeatedly to just ride roughshod over other people.
Again, why are you assuming such vicious rudeness?!

So sure, you can trumpet how functional this sort of concession is, but that's really a matter of opinion. And while it is true that the rules need adjusting and a GM needs to make good and flexible rulings and try to say "Yes" as much as possible, there are just other times where for the good of the game they need to say "No."
Prove it. Truly saying "no," rather than some form of "yes and" or "yes but" or "no but," is something I have done, perhaps, three times. One of those is debatable (as it was more like my policy against evil characters: not "I refuse" but rather "I recognize this is beyond my skills as a DM.") The first time was a player asking for something genuinely unacceptable in any context; I explained why patiently, since he was new to TTRPGs, and he understood and accepted that his request was beyond the pale (it was exploitative of combat mechanics, to be specific, and the point of the request was the exploit itself.) The second time was telling a player out of game that unless he reformed his behavior (he was very clearly playing other video games while we were in session and not listening) he would be asked to leave.

Some concessions are good. Some concessions are bad. And as a player I'm specifically empowering you the GM through the consent of the governed to make those calls, so that I'm not put in the highly uncomfortable possession of telling my peer and friend at the table to stop acting like a jerk and just play the game. And if I have a GM that doesn't realize that, I'm probably going to find a different GM.
Okay. I already said I refuse to be used by others. How is that not covered? How is it somehow insufficient that I have said I support genuine player enthusiasm? By "genuine," I mean things that are not exploitative (using the letter of the rules against the spirit), abusive (intentionally breaking decorum, or actual rules, to grub for advantages), or coercive (manipulating other players to do things against their will.) How have you leapt from the incredibly mild example I gave to "ah, this player is a selfish jerk clearly bullying Ezekiel into doing whatever they want, whenever they want, at the expense of the entire rest of the group." Seriously? That is not just uncharitable, it is actively interpolating ideas and concepts denied by my description!

And generally, in the majority of the games I'm in, we all understand that arguing with the GM is usually pretty much a jerky thing to do because even if a small percentage of the time the GM is wrong and doesn't realize it or admit it, this is still better than spending hours of collective time over the course of the campaign arguing about it and further everyone involved - having spent time as a GM themselves - knows how hard the job is and extends empathy to the GM.
This wasn't an argument. What gave you even the slightest idea it was? I have already said I don't argue with my players. We never even raise our voices (except out of shock, finding something humorous, or as part of RP.) I explicitly said that.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In Agon, Divine Favour is a limited resource, and so a player won't always spend in. For each action that is rolled for, the player decides whether and how a divine patron might be helping them - and then (if the god does help) the player spends the resource and narrates the help.

In 4e D&D, a feat bonus is not a limited resource in mechanical terms. But a bonus to rituals is constrained by the fiction: it only applies to a check made to perform a ritual. In the game I referred to, the player decided whether or not something was a ritual, and perhaps explain that decision it if it wasn't obvious. Most of the time it was.

My impression of @Lanefan's posts is that he (or the people he plays with) would try and assert that just about everything was a ritual, so as to get the +2 bonus, even if - in the fiction - it did not involve any weaving of magic.
Re Divine Favour, I can't say.

If Divine Favour is a meta-currency a la Inspiration in 5e the answer is easy: it wouldn't exist. I'd either excise it from the system or not use that system.

If Divine Favour is an in-game reward for character actions then it becomes an open question.

Re 4e rituals, while people might try to assert that, there'd be some DM-side pushback. :) That said, I'm not sure I'd even run with a magic system where use of magic didn't measurably deplete the caster somehow (as a limiting mechanism if nothing else, so they can't just keep casting all day), so the answer would become simple: did you use the resource (i.e. deplete your casting resources until such time as they can be recovered)? If yes, it can be a ritual. If no, it's not.
I don't think I've asserted anything is inherently better. I do think it is close to tautologous that, if you want players to play creatively, they need to have a lot of scope to engage the fiction with interesting action declarations for their PCs.
More to the point, they also a) need to realize they have that scope and b) be willing to use it. This is what often makes new players so wonderful: they don't yet feel like they can't try something, so they just go ahead and try it. Experienced players sometimes fall into patterns and become - often completely unintentionally - less willing to use the scope they've always had.
I'm not entirely sure it's a spectrum here, but it looks like it might be a bit like one. Maybe total freedom doesn't produce total creativity? But at the other end, say a choose-your-own-adventure certainly puts a hard limit on creativity!
Agreed.

There's a school of thought that says, to a certain extent, limitations breed creativity; and I think it has some merit. Too many limitations (as in your choose-your-own-adventure example) obviously squash creativity, but no limitations can have the same effect. It's as though all that "open space" is somehow overwhelming.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
What? Why? How? I am incredibly confused. Why are you assuming jerk behavior? Why are you assuming I would not do the same for you? How did you conclude that this would be so out of the blue when (as I have said several times) Dungeon World requires that all actions be rooted in and driven by the fiction? How could I possibly embrace any creativity at all, whatsoever, if I cannot have the player do things that aren't predefined?

And why would you feel resentment because one of your allies got a chance to do something cool? Do you really harbor such envy of your fellow players, or have I completely misread your position here?
Seeing someone else receive a benefit, it's simple human nature* to wonder why I and-or everyone else can't receive a similar benefit. And while sometimes a player's cool idea might not be proposed with the intent that it lead to any in-game advantage or "special-ness", most of the time this is exactly the motivation, even if unspoken or even unrealized by the player putting forward the idea.

* - and nature nature as well. Try feeding a seagull sometime - within seconds you'll have 50 seagulls around you, all wondering why they too aren't getting fed. :)
....so you're going to respond to behavior you dislike with rude behavior of your own? Why? How is that even remotely productive?
It's called giving back what you get. If someone's pleasant to me, I'll be pleasant in return. If someone's rude to me, that makes it open season for me to be rude in return - should I so desire.
Prove it. Truly saying "no," rather than some form of "yes and" or "yes but" or "no but," is something I have done, perhaps, three times.
Ages ago we had a DM like that in our crew, who either couldn't or wouldn't say a hard "No" when he really should have. His campaign collapsed after one adventure, in large part because there wasn't any challenge to it - as players we'd all lobbied our way into having stupendously powerful characters for 1st-level, and the DM-side pushback that should have come, didn't.

I suspect you've lucked out in that by your posts your players seem enthusiastic while at the same time not being the type to push all that hard against the envelope.

gnarlygninja

Explorer
Learning that you can (and sometimes should) just say no is something I wish I'd known when I started DMing. Thinking that if you said anything but "yes and" or "no but" you were a bad DM resulted in a lot of miserable table time for me personally.

Celebrim

Legend
What on earth gave you the idea this was an argument? I explicitly said it wasn't!

Let me be clear here. There are two related definitions of argument.

The primary definition of argument is:

"give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view"

We are now as far as I know having an argument in that sense, and from your description of events your table has arguments in that sense.

The other related definition of argument is:

"exchange or express diverging or opposite views, typically in a heated or angry way"

I'm not at all asserting that you are at your table having an argument in the sense of a heated or angry way. Nonetheless, my description of good gaming and game mastery does not depend on the assumption of heated or angry disagreement, but it does allow for it on the assumption that it can and does occur. And this heated or angry disagreement doesn't have to be particularly overt. Quite often people are doing their best to be civil and use normal voices and so forth, but you can definitely here the tension in the air when a player asks a question of the GM, gets an answer, and then not satisfied with the answer starts asking for an explanation, and then when given an explanation, starts offering up an opposing viewpoint, and then when they are answered again takes up a new argument, and by this point 9 times out of 10 I'm fully disgusted with my fellow player and what to start pushing him to just let it go and get on with the game.

And bullying, for God's sake? How was even one single part of my example "bullying" me?

No one is asserting anything about your examples. I wasn't there. There isn't much value on me commenting on them. I'm just thinking about my whole history of gaming with various groups with various degrees of familiarity with one another from ten-year-old friendships to perfect strangers. And I'm trying to apply the philosophy you are asserting and see how it could be fitted to all those experiences I've had and it just doesn't fit or work out - even in the case of groups with years of experience playing together. I am glad that your groups are so emotionally healthy that no one is ever asking to get his way at a time that is unreasonable and that you can always work out a compromise, but I don't find in my experience that is always the case. As for "bullying", while I have seen body language implying physical threat employed against a GM when a player wasn't getting there way, that's not really typical or what I had in mind. Rather, I consider it bullying when extroverted, boisterous, charismatic types argue however charmingly with a GM in an attempt to get there way, often trying to bowl over the GM with persistence and force of personality. And if you haven't seen that happen, then you need to get out more.

...where discussion would have continued until both sides felt that way.

It's this I have a problem with. Because while it's wonderful that you guys are so healthy that you can hold discussions that are never arguments, in my experience there are quite often discussions that occur where no side has a compromise they feel comfortable with and at that point the discussion is continuing until one side concedes. And however charming and friendly that discussion may seem, that's an argument and which side concedes comes down to which side can bully the other. In my experience, it's just best to avoid that altogether by a table agreement to respect the GM's authority.

Maybe if you spent more time at conventions, or if you had spent more time running games for strangers, or if your high school group had more autism spectrum nerd boys from the wrong side of the tracks, then it might alter your opinion. Or not. But I have a hard time fitting it into my experience.

I'll be sure to mention your description of this hypothetical to the player though. I suspect he will find it both dumbfounding and hilarious in equal measure. Asserting himself in any context is a struggle. (I have mostly shy players.)

What? Why? How? I am incredibly confused. Why are you assuming jerk behavior?

I'm not assuming jerk behavior. I'm just allowing for the possibility of it. I went to Origins this year, and was playing a game in a new-ish gaming system where no one at the table had played the game before. During that session, a one-shot comedy game, one of the players tried to rules lawyer the GM into a concession based on the player's knowledge of the rules compared to a guy who had been running the game for some time and had been the game creator's play tester and spent 5 minutes on his rules argument. And that may not seem like jerk behavior, but to me sitting beside him listening to this argument when I'd spent money to play a game and didn't really care too much whether we "won", it very much did.

Why are you assuming I would not do the same for you?

This to me is probably the most telling statement you make that shows you have absolutely no idea where I'm coming from and we are talking past each other to an enormous degree. Of course, I assumed you would do the same thing for me. Why in the world do you think that would change my opinion? Do you really think that what I want from the GM is to get what I want? I'm not looking for a GM that validates what I say.

How could I possibly embrace any creativity at all, whatsoever, if I cannot have the player do things that aren't predefined?

What's that got to do with anything? To a large extent, I consider the whole question of, "What happens when the player proposes something not covered by the rules?" to be tangential to this discussion, and indeed to provide a sort of intellectual cover for disengaging from the core problem. I have written extensively on ruling and how to rule when the rules don't cover the proposition, and while it might possibly be true that rulings are more likely to be argued over than rules (or it might be intuitively the case that that is true), in my experience table arguments aren't generally provoked by bad or unexpected rulings exclusively or in the majority. Table arguments are much more likely to happen circumstantially to the chance of player success in a player highly invested in aesthetics of play the revolve around the Illusion of Success. Thus, your just as likely to find yourself in an argument about what the written rules actually mean and how they should be interpreted, or that the rules are wrong because "physics" or "history" or whatever, than you are in need of defending a ruling because it isn't backed up by the authority of the rules.

No, I think that's a reasonable reading. It might not be the most charitable reading, but I'll play by your terms. But I note that your statement here leaves out a big part of the issue and is indeed silent on it in a way that is well-poisoning. It is not that one of my allies got to do something cool that provoked resentment. The thing that provokes the resentment is why they got to do something cool. If my ally does something cool as a matter of skill on their part, or as a matter of engaging with the rules in the sense that clearly they were allowed by the rules to do the thing, or because they rolled a natural 20 and the rules clearly reward that as special, then that's a whooping high five moment we all enjoy in. But if my ally got to do "something cool" because he spent time arguing with the GM until he got his way to some degree or the other, that's just not cool and it's detracting from the enjoyment of everyone at the table but themselves and I do feel resentment about that at times.

Leaving out the context seems to be a deliberate attempt to color the resentment as being general envy of a player succeeding.

I will say that a lot of times these table arguments are actually motivated by envy at the table where some player has done some that was cool and earned that player plaudits from the other players at the table, and one player or the other feels left out and generally dissatisfied because they haven't been able to come up with a move that has garnered them equal spotlight and satisfaction. And those players are frequently motivated to stop engaging with the rules and either start fudging their dice to get the success they want, or to start rules lawyering or wheedling the GM to try to get that success they feel they are missing out on. I've frequently gamed with players who struggle with tactics or problem solving or role playing or whatever who instead of trying to get better at playing the game, resort to cheating or browbeating the GM.

...so you're going to respond to behavior you dislike with rude behavior of your own? Why? How is that even remotely productive?

Compared to potentially wrecking a friendship with an argument? Compared to getting in a heated debate with strangers? Compared to disrupting a session at a convention or a free session at a local gaming store? I'm trying by my behavior to be as polite and undisruptive as possible. Remember, quite often when this sort of thing occurs, I'm a fairly new member of a long-term group. I'm probably less than a half-dozen sessions into the experience with a group of players that have been playing for years before I was given the privilege and opportunity of playing with them. And if I decide that I can't enjoy a game where every session 30 minutes or an hour are spent on rules lawyering and the functional process of play seems to be GM wheedling, then I'm not going to tell them, "You guys are badwrongfun and you have to change the way you play to accommodate me." I'm just going to say, "Thanks for having me, but unfortunately I'm getting really busy right now and I don't think I have time to attend further." I don't find that to be particularly rude behavior.

Okay. I already said I refuse to be used by others. How is that not covered? How is it somehow insufficient that I have said I support genuine player enthusiasm? By "genuine," I mean things that are not exploitative (using the letter of the rules against the spirit), abusive (intentionally breaking decorum, or actual rules, to grub for advantages), or coercive (manipulating other players to do things against their will.)

Seems like you actually have little reason to even be disagreeing with me then. What exactly are you disagreeing with my statements over if you agree requests can be exploitive, abusive, or coercive? If you agree that requests exploitive, abusive, or coercive, why do you even have to ask me why I might resent a GM giving into such requests. It's not so much a case of envy in as much as I want to get exploitive, abusive, or coercive requests validated as well, as it is when a player is getting requests that are bad for the game validated because they argued with the GM, to me sitting on the sidelines it tells me that the process of play here is no longer engaging with the fiction and trying by cleverness to overcome the fiction - which I find satisfying. It would be like playing a multiplayer PvE video game, and discovering that one of my teammates was using cheat codes or a hacked console to gain an advantage. It's not so much that I would envy their success as that they invalidated the very point I thought there was in playing. Them saying, "Oh, well I'll share the exploit with you and you can cheat to.", doesn't make it better.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Seeing someone else receive a benefit, it's simple human nature* to wonder why I and-or everyone else can't receive a similar benefit. And while sometimes a player's cool idea might not be proposed with the intent that it lead to any in-game advantage or "special-ness", most of the time this is exactly the motivation, even if unspoken or even unrealized by the player putting forward the idea.
Again, this assumes that you are guaranteed to get nothing, and so the other player is being favored when you aren't.

I am literally telling you, the player just needs to say what they want to do. If there is even a shred of reasonableness in that desire, I will do everything I can to find it and make it happen. I want all of my players to be happy, to be excited to come to a session. To feel that their ideas, whatever they might be, I will hear, examine, and support as much as humanly possible, even if I'm skeptical and need some give and take.

There is no favoritism here. I give literally actually every player cool items (some powerful or important, some minor or functional), work with them to build up their abilities, ask for and work with their proposals for world elements big and small. If I feel there's even a chance I'm under-serving anyone, I seek them out and tell them I'm worried I might be doing a poor job, and want to work with them to fix that. I am always asking for feedback and looking for places where there is a gap between my goals and my actions. Sadly, my players often don't say much more than "that was great" or "I had fun" etc. which is very kind of them but not very useful as far as feedback goes.

* - and nature nature as well. Try feeding a seagull sometime - within seconds you'll have 50 seagulls around you, all wondering why they too aren't getting fed. :)
Which is why I don't run for 50 people. I run for 3-5 people. (Currently 3, I'm hoping at least one hiatus'd player will return in the next few months.) I can work with 3-5 people. I can level with them, be reasonably sure I have an idea of what they want, and when what I'm offering falls short in any way, I have enough cognitive and emotional space to properly address their concerns in the context of the whole group.

It's called giving back what you get. If someone's pleasant to me, I'll be pleasant in return. If someone's rude to me, that makes it open season for me to be rude in return - should I so desire.
So much for turning the other cheek. Only do good to those who do good to you. And sure as heck don't ever tell anyone their mistakes so they can get better!

Ages ago we had a DM like that in our crew, who either couldn't or wouldn't say a hard "No" when he really should have. His campaign collapsed after one adventure, in large part because there wasn't any challenge to it - as players we'd all lobbied our way into having stupendously powerful characters for 1st-level, and the DM-side pushback that should have come, didn't.
So, genuine question. Why did the players do that? Obviously, it would have been useful for the DM to say no. But why did the players seek out ultra-powerful characters at first level? It seems to me that it took two to tango here. Why do things you KNOW will ruin your experience? Why grub for advantage in ridiculous and unjustified ways? Why break things when their unbroken state is both more useful and more fun?

I told my players at the outset what my general expectations are. For example, if they want power, it must be earned. Sometimes earning power means slow, methodical build-up over many sessions (as when one flighty, impulsive char had to have the patience to learn how to shapeshift into animal forms, though only for non-combat purposes.) Sometimes it means earning through paying a cost: a resource, a relationship, a position of power, whatever makes sense as a sacrifice (as when one self-reliant char ended a dangerous battle via risking his soul in a way that required him to trust that his allies would save him.) Sometimes it means earning through burdens: a binding oath, a vicious hunger, a terrible temptation, an innocent dependent (as when one very straight-laced char gave in to dark powers that had touched his soul in order to save someone else, thus risking becoming the very monster he had once feared another char might become.) Sometimes it means starting out weakened or hobbled and slowly regaining one's true strength, as was the case at Gygax's tables when he allowed players to play a young (gold, IIRC?) dragon or a depowered balrog (haven't had a char like that at my table yet.)

I had a couple other things like that. E.g. "remember that mercy does work, albeit not totally unconditionally, and if you behave without mercy, the world will respond in kind," or "peace isn't always an option, but you know me, I like happy endings, so don't be too quick to assume a situation is hopeless."

Session 0 is where you do this sort of thing. You lay out the boundaries of what is reasonable and confirm that all parties involved accept those boundaries. I listened to what requirements my players had for me, too. They were pretty minimal, more in the realm of adding new things to the mix than hard no-no lines, but one was to keep any truly X-rated/sexual stuff to a minimum and off screen (ironically, from the party Bard!) I had (and continue to have) zero problems abiding by that. I made a couple of promises, including my promise that I would always give a fair hearing to any idea presented in good faith, and do my utmost to bring as much of it to life as I could. I also promised never to swindle them out of anything; characters I portray absolutely will lie to the party, but I as the GM never will. I may not specify absolutely every detail in advance (mostly because I often don't know in advance!), but I will never intentionally speak falsely, and if I do so unintentionally I will correct that error.

I suspect you've lucked out in that by your posts your players seem enthusiastic while at the same time not being the type to push all that hard against the envelope.
I just don't consider this specially lucky. I consider it perfectly normal and ordinary. The only thing I consider lucky about my players is their nearly inexhaustible patience with my errors as a GM.

Seems like you actually have little reason to even be disagreeing with me then. What exactly are you disagreeing with my statements over if you agree requests can be exploitive, abusive, or coercive? If you agree that requests exploitive, abusive, or coercive, why do you even have to ask me why I might resent a GM giving into such requests. It's not so much a case of envy in as much as I want to get exploitive, abusive, or coercive requests validated as well, as it is when a player is getting requests that are bad for the game validated because they argued with the GM, to me sitting on the sidelines it tells me that the process of play here is no longer engaging with the fiction and trying by cleverness to overcome the fiction - which I find satisfying.
I'm disagreeing because you are painting it as though either (a) every request is such, or (b) it is impossible for any DM to successfully identify and oppose such requests. That all groups inevitably fall into it, and once they do they are tainted forever.

If you set clear and meaningful expectations at the start, and truly listen for what your players actually want, not just the thing they initially requested, you can essentially always find a way to make their true desire happen. It may take time, or cost something, or be risky or imperfect, or only the first step on a long journey. But you can make it happen. As long as the player can accept those terms and recognize the limits of following the fiction and of propriety/decorum, and as long as the DM is willing to accept that there are ideas they might not initially accept but which can be made acceptable, there is (effectively) nothing the player and DM cannot achieve together. And doing this is not hard, it is not some special relationship that only Ezekiel has with the weird outliers in his group (tongue firmly in cheek.) We have at least two other posters who say they have achieved it, AIUI with multiple distinct groups in the past (Pemerton and, IIRC, Neonchameleon.)

Two other things, because I agree we have been talking past each other and addressing that first is a better use of our time...

Compared to potentially wrecking a friendship with an argument? Compared to getting in a heated debate with strangers? Compared to disrupting a session at a convention or a free session at a local gaming store? I'm trying by my behavior to be as polite and undisruptive as possible.
Compared to actually telling the GM what actions drove you to leave, and why those actions were such a serious breach. Obviously that conversation is not appropriate to have mid-session if this is something so heinous to you that you would feel the need to immediately flee the table. Leaving and saying absolutely nothing about why, on the other hand? Yeah, I consider that pretty rude. To hold someone accountable for wrongs done and yet also absolutely refuse to tell them how they have done wrong is pretty bad in my eyes. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it's pretty bad.

Leaving out the context seems to be a deliberate attempt to color the resentment as being general envy of a player succeeding.

I will say that a lot of times these table arguments are actually motivated by envy at the table where some player has done some that was cool and earned that player plaudits from the other players at the table, and one player or the other feels left out and generally dissatisfied because they haven't been able to come up with a move that has garnered them equal spotlight and satisfaction. And those players are frequently motivated to stop engaging with the rules and either start fudging their dice to get the success they want, or to start rules lawyering or wheedling the GM to try to get that success they feel they are missing out on. I've frequently gamed with players who struggle with tactics or problem solving or role playing or whatever who instead of trying to get better at playing the game, resort to cheating or browbeating the GM.
I mean, it is deliberate in the sense that I could not (and still struggle to) conceive of a reading of what you said, given the context of the example I gave, that did not come across as you saying, "if I [Celebrim] was present for those events, I would resent the Bard, and would specifically resent them because they got a chance to do a cool thing, and I did not." Your fluid switching between argument as a nasty and unpleasant thing (e.g. the guy at that convention game) and as just a person giving justifications for assertions makes it incredibly difficult to actually respond to this, because sometimes an argument is just a thing humans do to discuss situations where they are not in perfect agreement and sometimes an argument is an utterly inappropriate emotionally-charged screed to get one over against the DM and/or players, and there's no dividing line between the two. I cannot tell if "player A presents an argument for being able to do action X" means the nasty-thing definition or the perfectly-ordinary-thing one. This makes your opposition appear to arise no matter what: whether the "argument" is legitimate or illegitimate, it is simply the fact that they made any petition at all. But all actions players take are declarations that can (and usually should) be discussed between DM and player: it is in most cases impossible to avoid such discussion, because that is how the game is played. Hence, you seem envious because they got to do something cool.

Regarding creativity and emergent setting, something happened in this last week's Stonetop game that I run for @hawkeyefan and a few others that is relevant.

In Stonetop, the Hagr are sort of the classic Cyclops of Greek mythology but given a few other tropes, a particular Instinct, while also mostly being left for play to resolve their empty space. Their Instinct is to "compulsively shape their environment" with obsessions around collecting and stacking thing to exacting standards. They're also hinted at being former servants of The Green Lords (primordial beings corrupted into The Fomoraij, cast as the co-archvillains of the setting; the other being The Things Below/The Dark Underfoot) who bred these creatures (fae...as The Green Lord bred all the fae into particular service) to build. In the ancient history of this game, the fae rebelled so the Hagr, free of the shackles of The Green Lords would have found a new purpose. Being bred "to build", they would be building still.

So our present play has resolved that the current and primary Threat to Stonetop at this point is the retreating of The Golden Oak from this world and into that game's equivalent of The Feywild. We've uncovered that The Golden Oak's role in this setting is to basically hold together the world with its mighty roots and the folk of Stonetop have had a covenant to see to The Golden Oak's material needs annually to ensure that it doesn't retreat. When "The Line of Judges" (a Paladin of knowledge and civilization and harmony/order) was broken a few centuries ago, the responsibility of this covenant passed into history and has been unfulfilled hence. Now the fruits of that lack of labor are on the doorstep of this world.

Whenever you set out on an Expedition, the procedures are to establish Requirements and Challenges which amount to relevant thematic obstacles on the way to the Adventure site itself. For this journey, the table settled upon the following:

EXPEDITION - Restore the Covenant of the Golden Oak.

OBSTACLE 1 - The Mark of The Dark Underfoot Haunts Voistek and Tooth.
OBSTACLE 2 - Agents of Darkness Putrefying the Way.
OBSTACLES 3 - Find Danu's Causeway Through The Grove of the Savage Giants.
OBSTACLE 4 - Bring The Forest Folk Out of Hiding.

The PCs are journeying north through The Great Wood (the forest that is home to the fading Golden Oak). They planned to stop at an enclave of Crinwin (small, typically wicked and vicious, bee/wasp humanoids that the PCs befriended very early in the game). The Hagr are unknown to the Stonetoppers as (a) no one ventures even this deep into The Great Wood (a "mere" 3 days) and (b) the depths from which the Hagr customarily come - where The Golden Oak resides - is entirely unknown to Stonetoppers for many generations (since the breaking of their covenant).

So when they PCs arrived at the Crinwin enclave they had befriended (for their 3rd day Make Camp), the hive-in-trees along the verdant, alpine ridge was being assailed by a pair of Hagr who were sundering the buttressing branches for select pickings to meet their, now very confused, obsessive purpose; "to build."

The PCs defended the Crinwin enclave and slew these mysterious, massive fey giants. What are they? Why are they here? The Judge Cullen's player decided to make a Know Things move via his Well Read playbook move with the help of the (recently secured) Follower Voistek:

WELL-READ
When you name the source in which you read about the matter at hand, roll roll +WIS to Know Things instead of +INT.

KNOW THINGS
When you consult your accumulated knowledge, roll +INT: on a 10+, the GM will tell you something interesting and useful about the topic at hand; on a 7-9, the GM will tell you something interesting—it’s on you to make it useful; either way the GM might ask, “How do you know this?”

Voistek - Scrivener of Eratis
Long-lived, Flesh-flayer, Chronicle-wise
HP 8; Armor 1
Longspear; d6 (reach, piercing 1 due to Prosperity)
Instinct: To invest his last breaths with purpose.
Cost: A pupil to share his knowledge with.

Cullen and Voistek get a 10+ result so I'm obliged to tell them something both interesting and useful (meaning actionable with respect to present goals, instincts, situation et al).

So presently, OBSTACLE 1 & 2 above are resolved. So the PCs are working on OBSTACLES 3 - Find Danu's Causeway Through The Grove of the Savage Giants.

Danu is the deity of nature (and all related; tooth and claw and preservation and beauty and barrenness). Play had sorted out that her causeway is a mystical secret path deep into The Great Wood, known only to Danu's initiates and the fey and the ancient Stonetoppers, that lets you transcend this world into the equivalent of The Feywild beyond where The Golden Oak is retreating.

So its settled upon that these Hagr are in fact "The Savage Giants"...that their chosen task after their rebellion freed the fey from The Green Lords was to build and maintain Danu's Causeway. Now with The Golden Tree retreating from this world, they have lost their purpose. Confused, they travel indiscriminately, carrying out their rote obsession "to build." So these slain giants cannot lead them to Danu's Causeway. But perhaps they could reverse engineer their shambling journey here via tracking and reading the collateral damage to the environment.

Interesting and Useful (and the outgrowth of an emergent, creative play process)

There are other examples of this in the Blades game I'm GMing, the 4e game (particularly the present Astral conflict on The Dread Star Caiphon) I'm GMing, and the Dogs game I'm GMing. But this one is a solid enough example of the paradigm.

pemerton

Legend
If Divine Favour is a meta-currency a la Inspiration in 5e the answer is easy: it wouldn't exist. I'd either excise it from the system or not use that system.
Divine Favour is what it says on the tin.

Divine Favour is awarded in the Voyage phase, at the end of the session. The players and GM discuss which gods the PCs pleased, and which they angered. This is based, in part, on the interpretation made by the leader player of the "signs of the gods" that were observed upon arriving at that session's island.

None of this is "metacurrency". It is the players getting to make decisions about the fiction - including what the gods want from mortals.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Divine Favour is what it says on the tin.

Divine Favour is awarded in the Voyage phase, at the end of the session. The players and GM discuss which gods the PCs pleased, and which they angered. This is based, in part, on the interpretation made by the leader player of the "signs of the gods" that were observed upon arriving at that session's island.

None of this is "metacurrency". It is the players getting to make decisions about the fiction - including what the gods want from mortals.

I’ve not yet played Agon, but I have a copy and want to give it a try at some point.

I agree that looking at Divine Favor as a metacurrency is flawed; such a view separates the fiction and the game, yet there is no reason to do so.

And why would you feel resentment because one of your allies got a chance to do something cool? Do you really harbor such envy of your fellow players, or have I completely misread your position her
I'm confused here as well. My players are mostly delighted when one of them gets a really cool moment. And I consider this the mark of a good group that they all (including me) celebrate the success of any of us in play even while there's light tension between the characters.
I am literally telling you, the player just needs to say what they want to do. If there is even a shred of reasonableness in that desire, I will do everything I can to find it and make it happen. I want all of my players to be happy, to be excited to come to a session. To feel that their ideas, whatever they might be, I will hear, examine, and support as much as humanly possible, even if I'm skeptical and need some give and take.

There is no favoritism here. I give literally actually every player cool items (some powerful or important, some minor or functional), work with them to build up their abilities, ask for and work with their proposals for world elements big and small. If I feel there's even a chance I'm under-serving anyone, I seek them out and tell them I'm worried I might be doing a poor job, and want to work with them to fix that. I am always asking for feedback and looking for places where there is a gap between my goals and my actions. Sadly, my players often don't say much more than "that was great" or "I had fun" etc. which is very kind of them but not very useful as far as feedback goes.
Likewise. And honestly one of the more frustrating things is that the better you're doing the less feedback you get, especially as DM when your players know they couldn't do half the job you do. (Only one of my current players GMs and I think I take the fact that after I dropped out of his group due to scheduling he relaunched his campaign basically as a carbon copy of the one I was running for him, copying system, worldbuilding, and playstyle as a huge compliment).
Which is why I don't run for 50 people. I run for 3-5 people. (Currently 3, I'm hoping at least one hiatus'd player will return in the next few months.) I can work with 3-5 people. I can level with them, be reasonably sure I have an idea of what they want, and when what I'm offering falls short in any way, I have enough cognitive and emotional space to properly address their concerns in the context of the whole group.
3-5 is good :) Going much over I start to run into trouble unless I stop GMing and have to referee.
So, genuine question. Why did the players do that? Obviously, it would have been useful for the DM to say no. But why did the players seek out ultra-powerful characters at first level? It seems to me that it took two to tango here. Why do things you KNOW will ruin your experience? Why grub for advantage in ridiculous and unjustified ways? Why break things when their unbroken state is both more useful and more fun?
Agreed. This sounds like the players were at least as much at fault as the DM. The DM trusted the players to be adults and ... they weren't. Possibly that's a consequence of a more adversarial style.
But all actions players take are declarations that can (and usually should) be discussed between DM and player: it is in most cases impossible to avoid such discussion, because that is how the game is played. Hence, you seem envious because they got to do something cool.
Agreed. This confuses me, especially as the DM can do whatever they can imagine and it's pretty easy to do things that are cool.

Remove ads