• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creepy Paladin

Eluvan

First Post
Seems to me like it's got a lot to do with the spirit in which it's done. If a person is possessed and unsalvageable, and doing bad things, it's not fundamentally an evil act to kill them - it's necessary. If a paladin killed the guy and said a prayer for the poor innocent who had to suffer - maybe even went to find his family, and tell them what happened - then that's fine, he did the right thing. But if he just whacked the possessed guy and then went on his merry way with a spring in his stride, he'd be well on his way to a Fall.

ThirdWizard

First Post
When you get into paladins of non-Lawful Good dieties, you start to run into problems with these kinds of scenarios. A paladin of St. Cuthbert or Wee Jas will, eventually, find themselves at odds in some way (either minor or major) with the desires and/or goals of the god or clergy. It's almost inevitable.

So, it gets tricky. The paladin worships the deity, but the deity isn't paladin-like. The deity has goals, but those arn't always up and up with the law and the good. In the case of St. Cuthbert and Wee Jas, not always good. Now, its doubtful that they'll do anything outright evil (probably), but the paladin might eventually have to decide between the deity/clergy and their beliefs as a paladin.

Okay, so onto the actual question. A list of Bad Guys who the deity wants dead. And, so we have to ask the question. Are we sure the deity in question has the lawful and good intentions that the paladin has. Now, its true that they won't intentionally send Mr. Paladin off to kill someone who is good or innocent or will require him to lose his powers.

However... is it the paladinly thing to do in these cases? Is it right? As an example, in a homebrew I played in, wizards and sorcerers were automatically outlaws in the core countries. The main church, a very LN oriented one, would aid in huntint them down for execution from time to time. They had no paladins, but had they any, the paladin would be caught between a rock and a hard place. To bring in a good sorcerer would mean sentencing an innocent to death. To let him go would actively be defying their faith, and thus his deity.

So, we're in a catch 22. The god's word is not always compatable with the paladin faith. Is it in this case? Is the paladin even questioning this, questioning his own god, questioning his own faith? Is this acceptable? If the paladin takes the information and chunks it what happens? Is the paladin's power even coming from a deity (I answer this as "no" by the way, regardless of patron god status).

The paladin is held to a 'higher' standard than even his deity. I think a paladin must look at this as an individual. It's his morality on the line. It's him who has to look at himself in the mirror. I don't think a list handed from on high means as much to a paladin who worships a god who his has a higher sense of morality than (I think of deities in a very anthropomorphic, Olympian style fasion). So, I say the paladin should not become a hitman for his god, especially if said god is not LG.

Now, if the god is LG, that's where I'm straddling the fence, maybe...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Yeah LG gods you can feel like "Gee this is a tough one" LN not so tough. I just wonder if an NG god/goddess would do this too.

Remove ads