• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Effects: Critiques Wanted

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Understood! Ive heard the same argument before. Ultimately, the decision to use such a chart lies with the tastes of the individual game group. :)

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
This is just a note to say that I am considering declaring my Crit Effects chart as OGC. How should I state that on the webpage where I have it posted? Can anyone help me with the wording? Should I even do this at all?

Last edited:

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
HELP WANTED!

Hey guys! I want to submit the crit effects chart to Asgard mag here at EnWorld, and based on advice from our own Ranger Wickett, Id like some assistance in re-writing and editing to make it suitable for publication.

I will credit anyone who gives serious replies and suggestions. :)

evil bastard

First Post
d&d chick Critical help

The final crit system is something thats both realistic and uses few rolls, so that it can be easily integrated into the 3e combat system. i have alot of good ideas. I could work with you but im not sure where to start our discussion. So ill outline what I have in this forum.

I use bleeding, stun and wounding, along with a d00 hit location chart, with weapon type modifying the effect. I believe it is still quick and realistic. i think this is what we are looking for , we both use the fort vs damage, and minor-crit wounds. I believe these things help too keep the mechanics to a minimum.

The system i use. The Critmaster. (rolemaster inspired me to make one for 2e, and now converted to 3e.)

For example. the system allows for many realistic possibilities, on one d00 roll.
Example: a rapier (thrusting weapon to the theigh leg (87) has a better chance to cause serious bleeding than does say a mace blow, but its not likely to break a leg. Example: a mace blow to the hand(77) will as a moderate wound break it and cause the hand to drop whats held, as well as cause minor bleeding. Basically i account for weapon type and other specific injuries such as blinding an eye (11) and such. this is the only chart really needed.

This added bit of detail has put the cinematic style fighting back into combat a lot, and has made my games a lot more realistic.

Healing by the level of injury is equel to the clerical equivelent. So a serious injury is healed by a cure serious wound clerical spell. For other means of healing a chart is needed.

If you are interested in helping each other. contact me at my email.
;)

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
I introduced critical effects into my group's game shortly after DnDChick created it, and we are loving it!

Last week, I shot a girallon in the left leg with a lightning bolt and it rolled a 1, so I rolled again and got a 20! Its leg was blasted off and it dropped dead! Hehe! That was awesome! Saved our poor fighter from being rended a second time.

The truly nasty crit effects (amputation, instant death, broken ribs, coma, paralysis) are actually quite rare, despite the number of criticals rolled. Our house rule is any natural 20 is an automatic critical hit (none of this roll again "threat" stuff). Even with this, we hardly ever roll well enough to score mega-damage on her crit table. We get a lot of leg and arm hits for some reason... But the wound severity rarely is worse than moderate. Most have no extra effect or are light wounds only.

Her system needs to be edited a bit better, as I have a hard time finding information in it quickly (it is much better now than originally, though). Otherwise, it's practically perfect! :D

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
We get a lot of leg and arm hits for some reason...

Yup...this is integrated into the design of the crit charts to keep down the relatively high chance for "instant kills" that would come from a lot of chest/abdomen/neck/head shots.

Realistically, most combat injuries are suffered in the largest center of mass: the torso. In game terms, however, altering my crit chart to reflect that resulted in too high a chance for an instant kill.

DMs are more than free to edit the hit location tables in any way they see fit. :)

Glad ya like the system KK!

BTW...about things being hard to find, what suggestions do you have for me to reformat the layout to make it more user friendly? :)

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
I need the save DC everytime you mention a DC, like for the injury penalty.

The save DC is always equal to the original damage rolled plus 10.

So if you rolled 10 points of damage from a longsword, your opponent takes 20 points of damage, and the DC is 10 + 10, sinc 10 was the original damage.

A crossbow crit for 4 points of damage doubled to 8 by the crit will have a Fort DC of 14, and so on.

Since the Fort DC is always calculated the same way, I felt it would be too repetitive to repeat it every time its called for.

However, if you think I should repeat it in the damage descriptions, I will. :)

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
A very pretty, easy to read pdf version would be best. Every time I print the webpage out, none of the gradients print and it takes up 5 pages or so.

That DC thing should be in big letters on page one... We couldn't even find it last time and just said it was "DC 20" to keep the action going.

Remove ads