D&D 5E Critical Failures

Raith5

Adventurer
I had critical fumbles in 3e where the PC/creature that rolled a 1 had to make a DC 10 Dex check to drop their weapon. It produced a few laughs and PC had to get back up weapons. But it slowed things down and didnt add much in retrospect.

Maybe it would be more elegant if you roll a 1 you grant Advantage on the next attack against you?

Shiroiken

Legend
I see no problem with a critical failure system in theory, but the implementation is hard. I would only use one as a balance to a critical success system, so to use 5E, it would only be a critical miss. The penalty should be about the equivalent to the benefit of a critical hit, so that creatures with multiple attacks aren't punished (just balanced). I would think the best method would be to grant the creature you attacked a critical hit if their next attack hits you (before your next turn). Still wonky, because ranged characters are hurt a lot less by this.

To avoid the multiattack leads to more fumbles issue - you could rule that only the first attack of each turn has the chance.

Honestly though, I think that (outside of comedy-focused groups) it's not a rule that meshes well with the D&D mechanics.

Hillsy7

First Post
I'd simply say the next attack has disadvantage (for a melee crit fail) to represent recovering after a slip, trip, or getting your axe embedded in a cavern wall after a serious miscalulation - this punishes you less for melee characters with multiple attacks as it's 1 disadvantage out of many attacks.

For spell-casters it's trickier a little trickier. Maybe your next spell does half damage, lasts half as long, or you have to make a concentration check every round due to giving yourself a massive headache casting the previous spell incorrectly. I'd probably look to breaking spells into broad categories and apply the "Next spell does" to all in that group.

Saving throws - probably the reverse of the above (Does half again as much damage, lasts twice as long, saves each turn against that 1 spell have disadvantage)

Skill checks - disadvantage on that next check due to self-doubt, self-injury, or being entangled in a pile of cans and string.....

These are all purely mechanical solutions - there's a tonne of more fun and narrative ways of bringing it into play that makes everything interesting and less rigid. So you could attack a colleague by accident, but just give them a DEX save to avoid a token d6 of damage. Or take inspriration as a GM on a Crit Fail, give free inspiration if the monsters roll a 1......Or nick from FATE and have the ASPECT "Crit Fail" on whomever screwed up that the GM or Player can activate to add/subtract 1 inspiration to the roll (Takes a standard action to clear/compose oneself).

schnee

First Post
We're discussing this in my game now. Three of us share DMing, and the DM that started the game had critical failures for combat.

My take is either spellcasters risk a crit with every spell - they roll d20 no matter what they do, and a 1 means something bad or embarrassing - or we eliminate them completely.

ro

First Post
Change critical failures from "something extra bad happens to the character rolling" to "something extra interesting happens because of the character rolling". As 1s get rolled more frequently, more unusual things happen.

For example, my warlock once rolled a 1 using Eldritch Blast. The blast went wild, hit a tree, the tree fell, and my enemy rolled too low to escape the falling tree. I missed, but the circumstance was fun and my character wasn't penalized by a normal dice roll.

When a 1 is rolled, make something fun but not necessarily harmful happen.

Celebrim

Legend
Some of the players in my game have expressed interest in having critical failures in the game. I will admit it is fun when the enemy rolls a natural one and things go hilariously bad for them, but the fact is that critical failures are far more devastating to player characters than to monsters.

I'm glad you see that. Most players don't.

But "fumble on a 1" is both a terrible mechanic and an unessential one. I don't know where this house rule for "Fumble on a 1" came from, because published fumble systems - including the infamous "Good hits and bad misses" back in the day - never worked like that.

The first thing you have to do is add a fumble confirmation roll of some sort that alters the probability of failure so that the better you are, the less often you fail. For example, a typical fumble confirmation roll would be "Roll again. If you miss again, it's a fumble."

With that change alone, hopefully you can see that the dynamic changes greatly. If a character needs a 20 to hit, then almost every 1 will result in a fumble. But if a character needs a 2 to hit, then they must roll a 1 twice in a row to fumble.

There are a bunch of other options as well. For example you could on a threat to fumble have the confirmation roll be a random skill or ability check like, "Make a balance check. If you fail by more than 5, you suffer a fumble." or "Make a DC 5 Constitution save. If you fail, you suffer a fumble." With mechanics like that skillful players might never or almost never fail. After all, there is no necessity that you automatically fail on a one for every sort of roll. With a skill check, a high level character might never fail to hit the target number, and in 5e players might have proficiency on checks and so need two terrible throws to fail.

The point is a confirmation roll that is harder and harder to fail the more skilled the combatant, whatever that roll is, more than offsets against multiple attacks when designed properly.

The other thing that I see in badly designed fumble systems is that they tend to have tables that produce lots of outrageous results. So instead of something like, "Weapon takes 3d6 damage" or "Opponent gets a free attack on your weapon", they have something like, "Weapon breaks." The later is really silly (and frustrating) when the weapon is a +5 adamantium weapon that just shouldn't break easily. Or they might have "Critical hit self.", rather than something like, "Make an attack on yourself. You have disadvantage when dealing damage, and do not add your strength bonus to the attack. You may ignore this result if you are using a natural weapon." Fumbles can even be minor annoyances that still realistically add color to the combat like, "Your footing slips and you are off balance. Your opponents have advantage when attacking you the next round.", or "Your attack leaves you off balance. If you are using a shield, you cannot use your shield to defend yourself during the next round.", or something like, "You overextend on your attack, leaving yourself exposed. The enemy you last attacked may make an additional attack against you without spending an action, but they have disadvantage on the attack." Fumbles don't have to be outrageous. They just need to help you concretely imagine things that could be happening in D&D's otherwise abstract combat system.

Last edited:

Celebrim

Legend
For spell-casters it's trickier a little trickier. Maybe your next spell does half damage, lasts half as long, or you have to make a concentration check every round due to giving yourself a massive headache casting the previous spell incorrectly. I'd probably look to breaking spells into broad categories and apply the "Next spell does" to all in that group.

As a general rule, if you can fumble an attack, you have to be able to fumble a spell as well. Spell fumbles don't happen quite as often in my game, but when they do happen they can be spectacular and nasty. Usually spells fumble when the caster is forced to make a concentration heck when casting the spell and fails it. The results can be almost anything - hitting the wrong target with the spell, casting a different spell, losing experience points, to potentially instant death (like casting a fireball targeted on the inside of your skull). So, the general idea that fumbling doesn't hurt spellcasters much, doesn't really play out in my game.

Li Shenron

Legend
So does anyone have a good system for critical failures that add some fun to the game, but doesn't punish players for making more attacks?

Never seen one. I think you should rather pick a pretty hardcore system, then start the next gaming session with the famous words "Be careful what you ask for, as you might get it..." :)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Rather than punishing or rewarding individual players I like to look at Nat 1 and Nat 20 as ways to enrich the narrative - like Triumph and Despair in FFG's Star Wars.

It's a nice way to add spontaneous complications (or rewards) that surprise me and the players.

Remove ads