Critical Hit with Fireball!

Zebediah Magus

First Post
Mercule said:
That would make it scorching ray not fireball, then.

It's not a ray effect. Plus, we don't know if they're keeping scorching ray and any spells other than the ones specifically mentioned thus far.

It would be nice if you could choose between using your fireball as a target or an area effect spell.

HeinorNY

First Post
Li Shenron said:
As I said in the other thread, that's probably because FB isn't an area attack anymore...

But area attacks in SWSE are for autofire weapons, not for "spells" or force powers.
"Spells" in SAGA that affect an area are not "area attacks" like in the weapon rules.

Force Slam for example:

Enemies in a 6-square cone take 4d6 damage and fall prone if your Use The Force skill check exceeds their Fortitude defense or half damage and they don't fall prone if the check doesn't exceed the Fortitude defence.

I think fireball will be simply like that.
Attack roll against Defense. Win=full damage, lose=half damage. Natural 20=double damage.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
ainatan said:
My two cents:

D20 + character level or a skill modifier* + ability modifier
against opponet's Reflex Defense.

It must be a number based on the total character level, If it's just something like caster level or based only on the wizard levels, then multiclassing would suck.

I'll betcha that we'll see a MAB (magical attack bonus) equal to level for wizards

d20+MAB+Int bonus+miscellaneous/circumstance modifiers = to hit Reflex/Will/Fortitude defense

Celebrim

Legend
As a DM who has for a long time been very uncomfortable with critical hits, this bothers me in much the same way that the attack roll replacing the saving throw bothers me.

Now, its not so much that the DM is going to ask, 'save or die', which was always problimatic enough, but now the DM (me) is going to be compelled to deal with, 'Guys, the goblin warlocks fireball crits you. Does anyone have more than 70 hp left?'

Remove ads