Critical Role Announces Two New RPGs

Illuminated Worlds and Daggerheart coming soon

Critical Role’s publishing arm, Darrington Press, has released a ‘State of the Press’ video announcing two new tabletop RPGs.

FA5E30D0-738D-4460-91B4-B8B4A4A67C21.png

Two new RPG systems we’ll be releasing: Illuminated Worlds, optimized for short story arcs and adaptable to myriad settings, and Daggerheart, a fresh take on fantasy RPGs with emphasis on longer campaigns and rich character options.

At Gen Con this year, you’ll be able to play AND purchase Queen by Midnight, and you’ll even be able to take our two upcoming RPGs for a spin. We hope to see you there!

Aldarc

Legend
They will not stop playing D&D. Daggerheart would never pull those D&D numbers in audience or sales. Especially after most fans already bought in a lot to D&D products.

More than likely they will have 2 shows. I think. Could be wrong.
As long as Critters can draw fan art of their favorite Critical Role characters and invest themselves in forming parasocial relationships with the cast, they will continue being happy.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
As long as Critters can draw fan art of their favorite Critical Role characters and invest themselves in forming parasocial relationships with the cast, they will continue being happy.
As gamers we tend to center what we like, so of course the game system is the most important piece. But that’s crap. CR fans are fans of CR. Not necessarily D&D. They will largely turn out regardless of what’s played. Even the odd one-shots like Ashley’s non-Alien game with a homebrew system has viewer ratings that would make every other live-play streamer insane with jealousy. The fans are not there because of the game system, regardless of what gamers think.

Reynard

Legend
As gamers we tend to center what we like, so of course the game system is the most important piece. But that’s crap. CR fans are fans of CR. Not necessarily D&D. They will largely turn out regardless of what’s played. Even the odd one-shots like Ashley’s non-Alien game with a homebrew system has viewer ratings that would make every other live-play streamer insane with jealousy. The fans are not there because of the game system, regardless of what gamers think.
The Candela Obscura YT numbers seem to tell a different story. The Campaign 3 premier has about 10 million views, and the CO premier has about a million. That's an actual order of magnitude. Drop off numbers are pretty similar.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
The Candela Obscura YT numbers seem to tell a different story. The Campaign 3 premier has about 10 million views, and the CO premier has about a million. That's an actual order of magnitude. Drop off numbers are pretty similar.
A potential better comparison is the latest episode of each, been out roughly the same amount of time of 5-8 days. DND episode had 557k and candela obscura is 107k. That is a big difference in my opinion. CO game may build steam and views but even the dnd campaign season 3 sees downward views. Episode 1 is almost 10 million, 2nd drops in half. Almost like the 2nd week of a movie release :)

Reynard

Legend
A potential better comparison is the latest episode of each, been out roughly the same amount of time of 5-8 days. DND episode had 557k and candela obscura is 107k. That is a big difference in my opinion. CO game may build steam and views but even the dnd campaign season 3 sees downward views. Episode 1 is almost 10 million, 2nd drops in half. Almost like the 2nd week of a movie release :)
Right. My point was to refute the idea that critical role fans watch regardless of what the game system is. I think there is a 5E draw element, in addition to a CR draw element.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The CO numbers are not a good comparison. CR is intentionally delaying the releases to push Twitch subscriptions. CR hits YouTube four days after airing. CO hits YouTube a week-and-a-half after airing.

Look at Ashley’t one-shot. Almost 2 million views. On par with the closest main show episodes.

I'm more interested in their DnD campaigns. I've been meaning to check out CO just to see it in action though. I also haven't watched many of their one shots. The only exception is the Exandria unlimited and Calamity campaigns, those are cool because it gives you more lore.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'm more interested in their DnD campaigns. I've been meaning to check out CO just to see it in action though. I also haven't watched many of their one shots. The only exception is the Exandria unlimited and Calamity campaigns, those are cool because it gives you more lore.
If you jump in on the first three episodes, be aware that it’s a BitD system and Matt’s addicted to having players roll for things they don’t need to roll for. The next referee is the game’s designer. So that problem should vanish.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I may not understand the impact you mentioned, plus it’s late and I’m half asleep so mentally not thinking coherently on my end :). I was just going by number of YouTube views since a video was posted on YouTube.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads