Critical Role Announces Two New RPGs

Illuminated Worlds and Daggerheart coming soon

Critical Role’s publishing arm, Darrington Press, has released a ‘State of the Press’ video announcing two new tabletop RPGs.

FA5E30D0-738D-4460-91B4-B8B4A4A67C21.png

Two new RPG systems we’ll be releasing: Illuminated Worlds, optimized for short story arcs and adaptable to myriad settings, and Daggerheart, a fresh take on fantasy RPGs with emphasis on longer campaigns and rich character options.

At Gen Con this year, you’ll be able to play AND purchase Queen by Midnight, and you’ll even be able to take our two upcoming RPGs for a spin. We hope to see you there!

overgeeked

B/X Known World
So from the interview it looks like the cards are absolutely necessary and replace having to look up that info in a book. He mentions having “bonus tokens” that you drop with your dice roll so you have a visual representation of your bonus. Because remembering +2 can be hard for some people. The damage thresholds were also designed with an eye towards ease of use and requiring less on the fly math at the table.

Last edited:

DevL

Explorer
I can easily see how the Critical Role cast would love to RP using this system rather than D&D. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Daggerheart becoming a prominent feature of their content production. Quite possibly supplanting D&D as the main show’s system. If the CR gang feels forced to play a system for a long time for business reasons, it’ll show and the ”magic” will be gone, be it D&D, Daggerheart, or something else.

DevL

Explorer
Also, for a group of theater kids like CR, switching to their own system so that they can get rid of most of the ”your fun is wrong/D&D doesn’t work like that” would be icing on the cake. 😄

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

These character sheets seem like a great gimmick that's an absolute nightmare for actual players. How much are these fancy character sheets with literal moving parts going to cost? This isn't a board game where the same bespoke pieces can be used and reused over and over again. You just know that every group is going to have a player who burns through multiple character sheets in a single session, absolutely spiking the cost of playing this game for newer players.

Reynard

Legend

These character sheets seem like a great gimmick that's an absolute nightmare for actual players. How much are these fancy character sheets with literal moving parts going to cost? This isn't a board game where the same bespoke pieces can be used and reused over and over again. You just know that every group is going to have a player who burns through multiple character sheets in a single session, absolutely spiking the cost of playing this game for newer players.
I really dislike Polygon's editorial voice when it comes to role-playing journalism.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

I'm not sure what you mean. The character sheet is your standard black and white affair that you can print out. The color bits you see in the images are literal playing cards that you put on the sheet for quick character creation. You can write down the information onto the sheet. You don't suddenly lose the cards because someone used one. I take the card, write down the info, then hand it back to you.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads