Critical Role Announces Two New RPGs

Illuminated Worlds and Daggerheart coming soon

Critical Role’s publishing arm, Darrington Press, has released a ‘State of the Press’ video announcing two new tabletop RPGs.

FA5E30D0-738D-4460-91B4-B8B4A4A67C21.png

Two new RPG systems we’ll be releasing: Illuminated Worlds, optimized for short story arcs and adaptable to myriad settings, and Daggerheart, a fresh take on fantasy RPGs with emphasis on longer campaigns and rich character options.

At Gen Con this year, you’ll be able to play AND purchase Queen by Midnight, and you’ll even be able to take our two upcoming RPGs for a spin. We hope to see you there!

DevL

Explorer
These character sheets seem like a great gimmick that's an absolute nightmare for actual players. How much are these fancy character sheets with literal moving parts going to cost? This isn't a board game where the same bespoke pieces can be used and reused over and over again. You just know that every group is going to have a player who burns through multiple character sheets in a single session, absolutely spiking the cost of playing this game for newer players.
I would imagine most groups that don't play online to make copies of the relevant sheets, pretty much like as with any other RPG. Surely it's the cards that is the limiting factor, especially if two or more characters share the same domain and want to use the same ability. I can imagine having a couple of decks can be desired, if not required.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm not sure what you mean. The character sheet is your standard black and white affair that you can print out. The color bits you see in the images are literal playing cards that you put on the sheet for quick character creation. You can write down the information onto the sheet. You don't suddenly lose the cards because someone used one. I take the card, write down the info, then hand it back to you.
I guess I misread it. They made it sound like elements of a pop-up book and even explicitly made that reference.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I guess I misread it. They made it sound like elements of a pop-up book and even explicitly made that reference.
You have three sheets of paper positioned in precise fashion plus playing-card sized feature and trait indicators.

Yes, it's absurdly complex for people who use dining room or pub tables rather than a million dollar set crafted to have expansive space for the players.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
They will not stop playing D&D. Daggerheart would never pull those D&D numbers in audience or sales. Especially after most fans already bought in a lot to D&D products.

More than likely they will have 2 shows. I think. Could be wrong.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
They will not stop playing D&D. Daggerheart would never pull those D&D numbers in audience or sales.
No, Daggerheart will never pull the sales of D&D. It doesn't need to to be successful. Paizo is utterly dwarfed by WotC yet they still turn a profit. It doesn't have to beat D&D to be successful.

Look at the viewership numbers for Candela Obscura. They're still better than any other D&D live play stream.

CR will do just fine.
Especially after most fans already bought in a lot to D&D products.
Have you seen the kind of crappy merch CR slings? The fans eat it up. They'll eat up Daggerheart and Candela as well.
More than likely they will have 2 shows. I think. Could be wrong.
They already have two shows.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
No, Daggerheart will never pull the sales of D&D. It doesn't need to to be successful. Paizo is utterly dwarfed by WotC yet they still turn a profit. It doesn't have to beat D&D to be successful.

Look at the viewership numbers for Candela Obscura. They're still better than any other D&D live play stream.

CR will do just fine.

Have you seen the kind of crappy merch CR slings? The fans eat it up. They'll eat up Daggerheart and Candela as well.

They already have two shows.
What the other one?

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I got pair of the CR joggers (Whitestone) during the winter time and the quality is as good as American eagle or other similar joggers. That’s my only merch purchase but I’m sure some are of lower quality it or quality checks before it goes out the door.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads