Critical Role Issues Statement

MarkB

Legend
There is a key difference: Wizards were completely D&D centric, and didn't address the OGC issue at all. Matt Mercer specifically calls out creators of new systems in his first paragraph. This is the category that will likely be hurt most by 1.0a being closed down to D&D specific.

If it hadn't been for that detail I would have fully agreed that it was a complete non-statement.
The OGL change doesn't threaten creators of new systems at all. It only applies to content derived from D&D.

Dausuul

Legend
"Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."
Except minus the fury. And not much sound, either. :)

I wasn't really expecting Critical Role to come out swinging on this. They've hitched their wagon to Wizards, at least for the short term, and they've got their own business to worry about. I can't blame them. It's a pity, though, because CR could do more than anybody to make Wizards change course.

But I hope their next campaign uses a custom-made system released under the ORC. Preferably timed right when Wizards is trying to roll out 1D&D.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Except minus the fury. And not much sound, either. :)

I wasn't really expecting Critical Role to come out swinging on this. They've hitched their wagon to Wizards, at least for the short term, and they've got their own business to worry about. I can't blame them. It's a pity, though, because CR could do more than anybody to make Wizards change course.

But I hope their next campaign uses a custom-made system released under the ORC. Preferably timed right when Wizards is trying to roll out 1D&D.
This is when I'd look for them to actually issue any "statement" of import that they would on this topic.

Enrahim2

Adventurer
The OGL change doesn't threaten creators of new systems at all. It only applies to content derived from D&D.
Very many of the new systems relly on ogl to protect against legal action (there was a lot of these in the 90s) many of them also rely on the ogl for enabling content creation for their game. ORC might help on the second count, but transitioning to it might actually put them on a worse legal footing than continuing publishing under 1.0a despite wizards claim they cant. They are in a really bad situation right now.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
So a slightly more kumbaya version of that old Futurama meme:

Futurama Whatever GIF

Remove ads