Critical Role Critical Role Suspends Broadcasts

With the ongoing global health crisis, Critical Role has announced that all live broadcasts will be suspended for the foreseeable future, starting today.
With the ongoing global health crisis, Critical Role has announced that all live broadcasts will be suspended for the foreseeable future, starting today.

safe_image.php.jpg

Here's the announcement:

"Like many of you, we have been monitoring the progressing situation around COVID-19 and have made the difficult decision to temporarily stop all live broadcasts, effective Tuesday, March 17th, 2020. Please note that our next episode of All Work No Play will air live on Twitch today at 4pm Pacific and the finale will air on Tuesday, March 31st at 7pm Pacific.

The health, safety, and well-being of our company and employees is the highest priority for us and we asked our staff to begin working from home to practice social distancing last week.

Our hearts go out to everyone affected by COVID-19. If you are interested in helping, many state governments have set up special funds to help those in your local community or check out covid19responsefund.org.

Going forward, we’ll keep our social media accounts and website updated with the latest news.

Stay healthy, friends. We’ll be back soon.

Critical Role"

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Brian Posehn's Nerd Poker has made the switch to videoconferencing, starting this week. It's a bunch of comedians, so it's a different tone, but if you're looking for something to fill the gap, I highly recommend it.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I agree that Critical Role would not be the same in a streaming situation. You could compare it to a full episode of a tv show vs. a script read of the show. You get the story, but a lot of little things would be missed. A side story with new characters could be explored, but with such a back catalog of episodes and the Wildemount book just released, there is a lot of content to tide fans over for a bit. Best to shut it down and try to weather the virus spread for a while.

BRayne

Adventurer
Just announced a sponsorship with an online TTRPG platform, Play Multiverse, so might be trying something out for the time being. Maybe just some test oneshots though.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think it comes down to quality. Do you pump out any old crap because people want the story, or do you stick to your own quality standards. In fact they've tweeted as such.
It'll be interesting to see if that changes when their advertising revenue drops off, since I assume the biggest draw is to advertise along new content, not previously released stuff.

Henry

Autoexreginated
You also have to remember that their Thursday night campaign is something that is special to that group of friends, beyond just being ‘more content’ - Matt has said as much in many interviews in the past. Because of this, they’re wanting to get it right for themselves, maybe more so than for fans.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You also have to remember that their Thursday night campaign is something that is special to that group of friends, beyond just being ‘more content’ - Matt has said as much in many interviews in the past. Because of this, they’re wanting to get it right for themselves, maybe more so than for fans.
I dunno. That brand is worth millions now. It’s gone a bit beyond that!

Remove ads

Remove ads