Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

Well over 4 Mil now.
What turns me off, really, is that the Kickstarter has absolutely naught to do with the animated show in terms of rewards. I mean, even dishing out 10 grand (which, bugger me, 5 people actually DID) doesn't get me the show (yeahyeah, exclusive premier, I know). I mean... it just feels odd to me.

On the upside, I take that as a pointer that the show will be release for everyone to see, not just backers, so I guess it's fine by me. I like the guys from CR, so all the best to them. But I'll skip this one, as I don't need a new beanie.

Zardnaar

Legend
Question: the streamed game might not be your thing (a sentiment many people share). But what about a scripted adult cartoon that doesn't make use of the D&D rules but is set in a D&D-esque world with D&D-esque characters?

Probably not. Still I started watching animated Star Wars a few years back.

What turns me off, really, is that the Kickstarter has absolutely naught to do with the animated show in terms of rewards.
The rewards are for fans of the existing stream's stories.

I mean, .... doesn't get me the show (yeahyeah, exclusive premier, I know). I mean... it just feels odd to me.
What does this mean? Every backer gets the show before it is released to the public. This is how just about all movie/tv kickstarters work.

I think he means a physical copy, like DVD or whatever.

First, making DVDs would cut significantly into the animation part of the pie chart. They are optimizing the KS for maximum animation time. And second, I assume they are hoping LoVM gains a production/distribution partner who helps pay for even more episodes. And a DVD/Blu-ray would follow from that naturally.

Dausuul

Legend
They don't have to use the D&D name, hell they could make the characters OGL and base it off Pathfinder.

Mostly I think they will do their own thing and file the edges off so the name D&D doesn't appear anywhere. The cartoon can just be about the adventurers doing whatever.
More likely they'll have to fight off WotC with a baseball bat to keep "Dungeons and Dragons" from getting scrawled across every frame. Millions of dollars of free advertising is not something any company wants to turn down.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well over 4 Mil now.
What turns me off, really, is that the Kickstarter has absolutely naught to do with the animated show in terms of rewards. I mean, even dishing out 10 grand (which, bugger me, 5 people actually DID) doesn't get me the show (yeahyeah, exclusive premier, I know). I mean... it just feels odd to me.

On the upside, I take that as a pointer that the show will be release for everyone to see, not just backers, so I guess it's fine by me. I like the guys from CR, so all the best to them. But I'll skip this one, as I don't need a new beanie.

It looks like they are keeping their options open for distribution. The rewards are all for incidental swag: limited run, exclusive swag. It's a fair cop. If they want to make money in the future distributing their work, more power to them.

$4.9 million, and counting...

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases