Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...
For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
They would also need to find 6-7 people who are free once a week, every week for 4 hours and a DM who could handle that load. Among their prior guests there are probably only a few people who could possibly commit the time and it isn't known if they'd be willing to commit the time. Foster talks about a game he co-DMs and it is not a weekly game.

What do you think makes 6-7 the ideal cast number?

What do you think makes 6-7 the ideal cast number?

That's they size they are use to. Sure 5 is also a good number. Big deal 5-7, is that better? (That number includes the DM. The DM is part of the cast. The cast is the players and the DM.)

Who wants to watch a game with only 3 people or with 10 people?

I'm amazed the average pledge per person rate has remained basically steady:

Day 1: 3545057 / 26242 = 135
Total: 7176411 / 52713 = 136

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
That's they size they are use to. Sure 5 is also a good number. Big deal 5-7, is that better? (That number includes the DM. The DM is part of the cast. The cast is the players and the DM.)

Yup the cast is the players and the DM. Actors who enjoy having work and getting paid for it. Now you may be right it might be very hard to find 5+ CR guests who couldn't commit to the gig.

I'm not so sure though since apart from Ashley Johnson CR seems to have done so despite the case being very prolific and busy voice actors.

Edit: 4 regulars and a rotating member like Harmonquest could be even easier.

Yup the cast is the players and the DM. Actors who enjoy having work and getting paid for it. Now you may be right it might be very hard to find 5+ CR guests who couldn't commit to the gig.

I'm not so sure though since apart from Ashley Johnson CR seems to have done so despite the case being very prolific and busy voice actors.

CR exists because Liam told a random assortment of friends "I want to play D&D for my birthday." And they did. They played a 4e one-off. Then they decided to make it a regular thing and thus they played once a month or so. They all became closer friends and two years later Felicia Day said, "Hey, how about playing once a week on my web channel?" And they laughed "Who would watch that?" And thus, believing it would only last a few months, the "committed" to play once a week in perpetuity. And it didn't stop and Liam and Sam's wives were a bit unhappy that they had to be out every Thursday. But eventually came around to it. CR also benefits from 4 of the cast making up 2 wedded couples. And those couples are all close friends with the other four.

Bringing in a handful of strangers and expecting lightning to strike again would be amazing. Also, there is much more competition these days.

Oh, and they can decide "hey, this week, we aren't taking a paycheck." and it's not really an issue. Try doing that with hired help.

4 regulars and a rotating member like Harmonquest could be even easier.

Deborah Ann Woll's Relics and Rarities had that format. But they only ran for 6 episodes. Most likely because of time commitment issues. Getting people to say yes to 6 weeks in a row is much easier than "in perpetuity".

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Deborah Ann Woll's Relics and Rarities had that format. But they only ran for 6 episodes. Most likely because of time commitment issues. Getting people to say yes to 6 weeks in a row is much easier than "in perpetuity".

Seasons could work. It would be a bridge between the typical format of CR and the One-Shots they do.

Remove ads

Remove ads