Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Folks, most of these one shots will take the place of a regular CR night when someone has a known conflict. Not all, but most.

Regardless, this is a pointless argument.

Probably not: since they started their own channel, their one-sots like Honey Heist have been in addition to their regular programming.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
They know what they are doing. If they say they don't have the time/resources/energy to do more, they know far better than we do.
This.

Matt, Travis, Sam, and others have said, repeatedly, that they won't add more stretch goals to the Kickstarter. They didn't say why, but I bet [MENTION=40359]kenmarable[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head. Instead, they said they will put any additional money pledged into improving the animation, adding more fight scenes, possibly adding digital effects in post-production. And that's the right call. They should be focusing on delivering the promised product--not making more promises.

Reynard

Legend
I wonder at what point during the initial surge they realized they may have created a monster and possibly bit off more than they could chew? I mean, I am sure they are excited but I imagine they must have had a moment where they realized the fan base really wanted this, and a lot of it, and that must have been intimidating even if just for a second.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I wonder at what point during the initial surge they realized they may have created a monster and possibly bit off more than they could chew? I mean, I am sure they are excited but I imagine they must have had a moment where they realized the fan base really wanted this, and a lot of it, and that must have been intimidating even if just for a second.
Did you see the talk they gave, just a few hours after the Kickstarter had been announced and they had already hit the $3M mark? I think that was the moment. :) The looks on their faces...

$10,049,042 pledged of $750,000 goal
75,600 backers
58 hours to go

I thought it would take a final push on Thursday but apparently not. They reached the hidden goal of $10M. (Sam revealed they would film Travis going through a haunted house. Travis is known to overreact to scary stuff.)

I'm still amazed at the average pledge being over $130 per pledge.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wonder at what point during the initial surge they realized they may have created a monster and possibly bit off more than they could chew?

As long as they haven’t promised to do more than they can produce, there’s no problem.

Iry

Hero
There comes a point in wildly successful KS where you just say “We’re going to do the best we can, and anything left over goes towards our next project.”

jgsugden

Legend
No, they cannot use the funds for another project.
They may not directly do this, but there are a lot of ways to indirectly fund season 2 with these proceeds.

Although I like Critical Role for what it specifically is, what excites me most about this project is that it will be a real D&D game turned into animation rather than being one of those hald hearted attempts at it that is scared to embrace the game.

Remove ads

Remove ads