Critical Role Critical Role's Kickstarter Breaks $1,000,000 In About An Hour!

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

For those hoping for a new D&D cartoon, Critical Role has just launched a Kickstarter for an animated show based on their livestream campaign. It broke a million dollars in about an hour, and has 45 days left to go...

6b23fe44b487d4ab799e793103bbcb6f_original.png

"Critical Role's The Legend of Vox Machina reunites your favorite D&D heroes for a professional-quality animated special!"

Also on offer are theme song MP3s, production art prints, sticker sets, dice, playing card sets, plushies, pin sets, canvas bags, and more.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What do they do with access profits then? As long as they deliver what they promised, the left over money is theirs to use as they wish, they aren't going to refund it.

They can use any profit in any way they wish.

Profits once they produce a project, sure, but per the Terms of Service Kickstarter funds can only go to the project in question:

"Funds raised on Kickstarter must go towards facilitating the project outlined by the creator on the project page."

https://www.kickstarter.com/rules

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They may not directly do this, but there are a lot of ways to indirectly fund season 2 with these proceeds.

Although I like Critical Role for what it specifically is, what excites me most about this project is that it will be a real D&D game turned into animation rather than being one of those hald hearted attempts at it that is scared to embrace the game.

Underhandedly, sure: they've already made it clear they are putting every extra penny into animation budget.

Profits once they produce a project, sure, but per the Terms of Service Kickstarter funds can only go to the project in question:

"Funds raised on Kickstarter must go towards facilitating the project outlined by the creator on the project page."

https://www.kickstarter.com/rules

There is nothing in there that says excess funds must be frivolously applied to the creation of the project beyond the price of the project's creation. Ongoing concerns of the company behind the project is a perfectly normal place for excess funds to end up. Keeping the lights on and the employees paid is part of fulfilling the project goals.

Iry

Hero
No, they cannot use the funds for another project.
I’m just imagining a Critical Role Calendar.

”Wow! We hit 20 million in funding! What the heck do we do with the extra?!”
”We add a 13th month, every page is gold foil, and we include a video of Chris Avellone seductively turning the pages.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There is nothing in there that says excess funds must be frivolously applied to the creation of the project beyond the price of the project's creation. Ongoing concerns of the company behind the project is a perfectly normal place for excess funds to end up. Keeping the lights on and the employees paid is part of fulfilling the project goals.

Well, as of this morning, the estimated per minute budget for animation according to their business plan is less than $35k. $30-50k per minute is industry standard for budget, according to their own video. They are millions away from even hitting the high end of their goal for the season as it stands.

I didn't say they were going to pocket anything. They constantly say every dollar goes to the animation budget.

I was just refuting the idea that money raised using KS cannot go into the bank.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I didn't say they were going to pocket anything. They constantly say every dollar goes to the animation budget.

I was just refuting the idea that money raised using KS cannot go into the bank.

According to Kickstarter, it can't. Realistically, sure, people can do all sorts of scummy things.

Remove ads

Remove ads