Critical Role Critical Role's Matt Mercer On Civility

Critical Role's Matt Mercer posted about behaviour within the Critical Role fanbase. It very much reflects conversations we've had here on EN World about the RPG fanbase as a whole, and the D&D fanbase specifically. Whether you're talking about Critical Role specifically, or your thoughts about any tabletop gaming rule or product, I'm sure you understand what Matt is talking about.

"I want to, first off, express our appreciation for this community. [Both Reddit,] and overall. While talk does get thrown around regarding "toxicity", I can be confident in saying this is a serious minority, and the term doesn't aptly apply to most situations. For the most part, everyone has been thoughtful and as invested as we are (Well, maybe not Twitch-Chat, but such is the nature of the beast, hehe). Regardless, I wanted to let you know that the positive majority never goes unheard, and every smiling statement or message only brings us joy. Thank you guys.

I want to discuss and clarify that discussion is always promoted and appreciated! Differing opinions make for interesting discussion, and disagreements on our game, plays, and ideas are part of that discussion. Every D&D game is different, and every play style is different. We aren't going to tailor our game to fit the audience's wishes or expectation, nor would we ask you to alter your home game to match our play style. There will be differing ideas, and that's both healthy and encouraged!

I would ask that people that feel the need to "defend" or shoot down counter-opinions to our game's play or story to restrain from furthering any conflict or downvoting based on disagreement. You can offer your counter to theirs, but do so with civility and as a way to continue the conversation, not demonize.

Example: Preferred Response - "I don't agree with you, necessarily. Here are my thoughts on the topic, and why I enjoyed this element, or agreed with how it was handled."
Unwanted Response - "It's their game, shut up. 'Your fun is wrong'." down-vote

When you DO present a disagreement with our game, please do so from a constructive stand point. There are many ways to convey your thoughts without seemingly unnecessary vitriol or intensity.
Example: Preferred Response - "I probably wouldn't have done it that way, were it my game. I get the reasoning, but my instinct would have been this maneuver instead."

Unwanted Response - "I really hate this character because they do this, when they SHOULD do this. Its so stupid."

I myself firmly believe in transparency and honesty as much as possible, and we genuinely keep ourselves open to the community as a whole as best we can. I feel a genuine kinship and patronly responsibility to this corner of the internet we've created together. I want to facilitate a good place not only for you folks to talk and enjoy, but for us to be able to engage when we are able without feeling threatened or ridiculed. I am aware the internet comes with its share of negativity, and I fully accept those elements as given. However, that won't stop me from trying to improve this space in any way I can. Civility and mutual appreciation of the tabletop gaming culture (and our little place in it) is the hallmark of this community, and I wish to keep it that way.

My players and myself are people with very hectic lives. CR has become a second (or third) career for all of us, and while the joy and excitement we derive from our game far outweighs any downside, it does have its downsides. We have our stresses, our off-nights, and our bouts of confusion/forgotten rules and abilities. Our own personal lives, like anyone's, can be fraught with challenges and low points, and that can affect us within our game as well (even should we wish it otherwise). We are prone to mistakes, inconsistency, and failure time to time... and that's kind of the beauty of Roleplaying games is it allows a safe space to do all of that and learn from it. I only ask that you fight the knee-jerk judgement on anything in our game to consider the unknown elements, and write your thoughts from a place of genuine intent to banter, share varying ideas and thoughts, and present your own perspective in a way that is respectful of the cast, and your fellow community members.
Much love to you all, and let's all be the best geeks we can. <3

-Mercer"

I have to believe the internet will eventually catch up with regular societal mores and manners. That people will stop purposely being dicks to each other online.
Otherwise... what's the point of interacting with people online?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I have to believe the internet will eventually catch up with regular societal mores and manners. That people will stop purposely being dicks to each other online.

That is an interesting question. Are we going to use your regular societal mores and manners or are we going to use mine or maybe even someone elses entirely?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Seriously. We're talking about playing fantasy elves. People getting angry need to chill.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I have to believe the internet will eventually catch up with regular societal mores and manners. That people will stop purposely being dicks to each other online. Otherwise... what's the point of interacting with people online?
Sometimes people have difficulty with distinguishing the difference between criticisms and attacks. Also some people try and turn someone's difference of opinion into an attack in order to make that person look bad. Sure you have your pricks and they will always be there. Real life still has them.

Sometimes people have difficulty with distinguishing the difference between criticisms and attacks. Also some people try and turn someone's difference of opinion into an attack in order to make that person look bad. Sure you have your pricks and they will always be there. Real life still has them.
I try to remember that I'm talking to a person. A human being with emotions and "pricks" as well. And I try not to say something digitally that I would not say to their face. I try not to say things online that I wouldn't feel comfortable saying to a grandmother.
If someone is being a insulting obnoxious jerk online I try* and react like I would in real life: walking away. That's not someone I want to engage with.

* disengaging from an argument is different, as I have troubles doing that online due to personality quirks. But that's my damage and isn't the norm...

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
And I try not to say something digitally that I would not say to their face.
I think that is exactly where some people go wrong. They let the anonymity of the internet, or at least the separation from consequence (since "oh, my instagram account got banned because I was leaving awful comments" doesn't register as being as real as "oh, I got banned from a local bar for saying awful things to other customers" does), cause them to believe that they don't need to be respectful.

For some reason, I'm actually the opposite of most folks. I'm not equal in what I would say online vs. what I'd say to someone's face - what I would say online is actually far more respectful in tone and content compared to what I'd say to someone's face. I think it is the relative permanency of online communication (anything that could be held against me existing for reference for a much longer period of time) and the lack of ability to color the content via tone of voice and body language (so something that would clearly be a light-hearted, while still foul, joke in person would be indistinguishable from something mean-spirited and foul in text form).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases