D&D 5E Criticizing the new edition of D&D (because I like it a lot)

I really like D&D 5th edition so far. I'm excited. I'm invested. It did a lot things right. But it's not perfect.

I want D&D 5th edition to be everything that it can be. I don't want it to settle for 'good enough'. Not after this much public play-testing.

To wit...

Feats
Stop treating feats like variant rules. Too many people want them. Are planning for them even now. Embrace what the players clearly want, especially with the variant human being vastly more appealing than the regular human.

Fighter
Great Weapon Fighting. Treat 1 and 2 as 3 instead of re-rolling 1 and 2. Otherwise the 2d6 weapon damages are vastly superior to the 1d12 weapon damages.

Fighter
Protection fighting style with a shield should be with any weapon or shield. Restricting this ability to shields kills certain play-styles.

Fighter
The Second Wind of fighters should be limited to once per day, avoiding hourly regeneration. Especially since you nerfed cure wounds and healing word spells. Better yet, make it temporary hit points granted with a bonus action. Perhaps this could also herald the death of martial healing once and for all?

Rogue
Sneak Attack works with a thrown Strength attack, such as a handaxe, but not a melee Strength attack with the same weapon? This is inconsistent. I understand that you want to restrict the weapons, so make it finesse, range, AND light weapons.

Wizard
Potent Cantrip should work on a miss (not a failed saving throw). That way Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost, and Shocking Grasp can benefit... rather than inventing new cantrips later on to justify this ability.

Classes
Switch the crowning 20th level class power to an ability score increase/feat for each class. That keeps the progression consistent. Chances are it will probably be a feat by that point.

Race
Mountain dwarf +2 Strength is wonky. The two +2 bonuses make them great for melee classes, but then mountain dwarves also have a free proficiency with light and medium armour. Any melee class they pursue already have those proficiencies. It's redundant. Lower Strength to +1 (in keeping with every other +2/+1 races), and bring back the +1 armour bonus to mountain dwarves.

Skills
Medicine is still a useless skill, especially when untrained use of a Healing Kit can stabilize. This also makes the standard action cantrip Spare the Dying a poor choice (unless changed to a bonus action or given a range). Have the Medicine skill cure diseases and poisoning at least. The DC could be equal to the initial Saving Throw DC. Require a Healing Kit proficiency for that.

Armour
You added Breastplate, Half-Plate, and Splint Armour, but took away Banded armour? There's even an AC gap in the heavy armours for Banded. Make Chain Mail AC 15, Splint AC 16, and restore banded to AC 17. Also, Chain Shirt is a Medium armour? Make it light. Moreover, Padded hurts Stealth? There has got to be better mechanic for differentiating Padded from other light armours. Alternatively, if you are going to delete any armour from the list, choose Padded over Banded.

Weapons
So many pointless or redundant weapons on the chart. Mace. Pick. Trident. Take your pick. There are more. Consider weapon properties for groups of weapons (Axes, Bows, Swords, etcetera) to create meaningful differences.

Spells
Did we really need V, S, and M again? It was so elegant during the play-test. All spells have a few words, a few gestures, and a material component. Some have a costly material component (as noted). Done.

Spells
100 gp for Identify? If you say a magical item can be figured out over time, or figured out with a spell that costs 100 gp, guess how useless Identify just became?

Spells
100 gp for Stoneskin? Let the fact that it's a high level spell with less castings than previous editions be the cost. Remove the GP cost of this spell. Like Identify, that sacred cow is not worth preserving.

Languages
Go back to languages granted by Intelligence bonus (in addition to training). This was added after the initial play-tests and then taken away. People want their languages.

Ability Scores
Bring back the ability to buy 16 as a score and raise the point buy total to 30 again. This has a very appealing secondary effect that you may have overlooked. It will encourage players to try non-traditional race/class combinations. See why? Right now, there are very clear race choices (read: ability score bonuses) for specific classes, especially if you want to be effective with a 16 or 17 in your primary ability score, instead of a 15 (the highest score players can currently buy 'without' a racial bonus). If players can buy a 16, then they are more likely to explore unconventional race/class options.

Advantage and Disadvantage
Make the number of Advantage/Disadvantage instances count. Three Advantages? One Disadvantage? You have Advantage. People can tell the difference between a higher and lower number. Like instantly.

Combat
Bring back the charge action. It served a worthy purpose in combat.

Dying
Constitution bonus on death saving throws.

Encumbrance
The new encumbrance rules are bizarre. Strength 10 can bench press 300 pounds? Go back to what you had in the play-test and turf the variant. Make certain armours inhibit speed by 10. Reduce that to 5 for Strength 15, and 0 for Strength 20. Dwarves continue to ignore these penalties, regardless of Strength.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Fighter
Protection fighting style with a shield should be with any weapon or shield. Restricting this ability to shields kills certain play-styles.

I think that one's intentional. The Protection style should not be coupled with the higher average damage of two weapons.

tsadkiel

Legend
I am strangely disappointed that this thread isn't about fireball . . .

On topic, i think you've generated a decent list of houserules. Personally, I'm really glad that feats are optional, though - feats are ultimately what drove me away from the previous two editions, and I'm happy to ignore them.

FireLance

Legend
Race
Mountain dwarf +2 Strength is wonky. The two +2 bonuses make them great for melee classes, but then mountain dwarves also have a free proficiency with light and medium armour. Any melee class they pursue already have those proficiencies. It's redundant. Lower Strength to +1 (in keeping with every other +2/+1 races), and bring back the +1 armour bonus to mountain dwarves.
I suspect the problem is bounded inaccuracy, when stacked with the defense fighting style and really good heavy armor. Every point of AC is worth more than the previous point. If an opponent can only hit you on a 17+, one more point of AC effectively reduces his expected damage by 25% (ignore crits for now). Another point of AC reduces that expected damage by one third, and one more point reduces what's left by half (your opponent is basically only hitting you on a natural 20 at this point).

Last edited:

Truename

First Post
I really like D&D 5th edition so far. I'm excited. I'm invested. It did a lot things right. But it's not perfect.

I want D&D 5th edition to be everything that it can be. I don't want it to settle for 'good enough'. Not after this much public play-testing.

I disagree with nearly every one of your changes. :lol: But I think it's a great set of houserules. I'm kind of tempted by the CON for death saving throws myself.

the Jester

Legend
I, too, disagree with almost all of your desired changes, but it looks super easy to make those all house rules.

The fact is, even something as controversial as damage on a miss or martial healing has staunch supporters. For instance, your assertion that almost everyone wants to use feats is simply not true; you and your group, and maybe many others, do, but the game should accommodate everyone, including those who want something simpler and quicker without option overload.

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
A few counterpoints:

Fighter

If you want protection, use a device specifically made for protection. A shield covers a lot more area than a greataxe or a dagger.

Armour
You added Breastplate, Half-Plate, and Splint Armour, but took away Banded armour?

Since Banded Armor is a complete fabrication and never actually existed, I think it's good that it's gone.

Advantage and Disadvantage
Make the number of Advantage/Disadvantage instances count. Three Advantages? One Disadvantage? You have Advantage. People can tell the difference between a higher and lower number. Like instantly.

I like that once you have one of each, you can stop digging for extra sources of one or the other, because it doesn't matter. Saves the game from getting to the point of: "I have a bonus from this and this and the other..." roll. "Hey did you remember my bard bonus? And the favorable winds?"

Combat
Bring back the charge action. It served a worthy purpose in combat.

I find its absence curious as well. I wonder if it will be a Barbarian feature, or a combat feat?

Dying
Constitution bonus on death saving throws.

Your Con bonus gives you extra hit points to keep you from being in the dying state in the first place. You want a double bonus?

Encumbrance
The new encumbrance rules are bizarre. Strength 10 can bench press 300 pounds?

As pointed out in the main 5e discussion thread, "lift" does not equate to "bench press." You get to use your legs and the rest of your body and maybe you're just trying to lift a boulder off your friend's leg. A man of average American size with a month of training can deadlift 290 pounds.

Everything else I either agree with or don't care.

samursus

Explorer
Yeah. While I appreciate your play style and can empathize with where you are going with a lot of the changes you recommend, I don't agree with your assertion that these are universal desires/problems. I don't think there is ONE set of rules to make everyone completely happy.

The point of 5e, from my understanding, is to create a base game that addresses the majority of players desires (as determined by playtest surveys) and then encourage and support house rules.

IMO I think they have succeeded very well so far, and am willing hold off on my own houserules until I come upon issues in play.

Plus... DMG.

Nebulous

Legend
I, too, disagree with almost all of your desired changes, but it looks super easy to make those all house rules.

The fact is, even something as controversial as damage on a miss or martial healing has staunch supporters. For instance, your assertion that almost everyone wants to use feats is simply not true; you and your group, and maybe many others, do, but the game should accommodate everyone, including those who want something simpler and quicker without option overload.

I'm just glad that 5e is so DARN easy to houserule, so i see myself making some of those suggested changes, certainly not all. It's like the ultimate kit basher edition of D&D. I love that.

Remove ads