Critique my DCC Funnel intro, please

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Hi

I'm trying to write an intro for a Dungeon Crawl Classics Funnel for a group of players that have only played 5th Edition D&D. I'm hoping that I can get some helpful criticism from the fine folks of these forums. I plan to send this message out in early January.

Thanks!

Intro...
One session of Adventuring with Dungeon Crawl Classics

What is this?
An opprtunity to play a very basic d&d(ish) game for a single 3 hour session, no commitment necessary beyond that. It's also an opportunity for me to try out a different system called Dungeon Crawl Classics. If/when this happens, we can decide to continue a campaign with this game or continue with other campaigns.That stuff should be decided afterwards though.

Zero Level Funnel
A Zero Level Funnel is an optional mini-game in Dungeon Crawl Classics. The Funnel Adventure can be considered the final step in the character creation process. It's also a good way to learn the game. Each of you will be running four Zero Level characters at once.These characters are randomly created. The death rate is high in this game and the general strategy is to protect the one character with the best stats. You want this character to survive the adventure in order to advance them to 1st level. In the unfortunate case that you lose all your characters, more random villagers will be provided.

Each character is rolled randomly; including ability scrores, equipment, and background (and more). There are 80 different backgrounds with 70% Human, 10% Dwarf, 10% Elf, 10% Halfling. The game mechanics are comparable to Basic D&D from the 80s, but given updates and twists. This system is much simpler than 5th edition D&D, but with some significant differences. I will bring character sheets that are ready to be played. My guess is that going over your character sheets and the important game rules will take 10-20 minutes. Then we can start.

At the bottom is a sample 4 character player sheet.

Adventure Intro

Group Background
You all come from the same village. An ancient evil originating from the nearby abandoned keep has invaded; Beastmen have destroyed your homes; and most of your family and friends are dead or lost. Your 4 characters are a small pack of friends/family that need to destroy whatever is in that keep for any hope of survival. Luckily other packs of villagers have joined your group and your numbers grow to over a dozen, possibly much more than a dozen depending on the number of players. Armed with whatever you managed to take with you, this band of villagers approaches the ruined keep.

Adventure Text from published adventure
You stand before the ruined keep, which squats atop a low, craggy hill, its walls of toppled stone and massive granite blocks hinting at forgotten battles and the clash of mighty armies. Now the ruins seem host only to creeping vines and the foul miasma that drifts down from the keep.

The air is overrun with pestilence. Fat flies bite at you incessantly, and clouds of small black insects choke your every breath. The long-abandoned land is strangled with thorny vines that drape the sickly trees and hang from the ruined walls. There is an odor of rot and decay, as if the hill itself were decomposing from within.

A sight gives you pause: a ragged banner, depicting a crimson skull on a black field, stands high atop the ruined walls.

Whatever lurks within has terrorized you and your village for far too long. You turn to your companions and ready your meager weapons. The time for retribution has come.

Last edited:

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Looks good. Is there any part in particular you are concerned about?

Nothing in particular. My biggest concerns are making sure I'm accurately setting expectations and describing the game well without getting bogged down in details.

pogre

Legend
I agree it looks good. I might suggest changing "and any character that survives the adventure advances to 1st level." to if any character survives the adventure they can advance to first level. ;)

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Is each player only running a single 0-level character? When you say "your 4 characters", I couldn't tell if each player is running 4 PC's or if there were 4 players each running 1 PC. If the later, I'd suggest that each player roll up a few more, because of the inevitable deaths...

Speaking of which, the only other thing I would emphasize is character deaths. That it is expected, and part of the funneling process, and therefore another major difference in terms of player expectations from 5e.

Otherwise it all looks good.

Remove ads