Crusader Kings III

cmad1977

Hero
I loved CK II.
What follows is a (probably too long) history of Queen Catherine of Ireland.

Setting: Ireland is a powerful Kingdom forged of the Northern(mine) and Southern(AI) powers that fought for a century unifying after a bitter conflict and a political marriage. Since the marriage the power of the Kingdom grew quickly.

Catherine was the 3rd child of a great king who was able to spread the power of Ireland into parts of Scotland, Wales, and Northern Spain(helping the Spanish force the moors out of the Iberian peninsula). His Son, and heir to the crown, was an even better example of leadership(his base stats and education were amazing). The middle child died in childhood to a wasting disease near when Catherine was born.

Her father died when she was two with her older brother crowned upon his passing.

Her older brother was then murdered THE NEXT DAY!! by the Southern Irish and civil war ensued.

Enough people stayed loyal to her fathers legacy to force a costly truth. Catherine had lost half of her fathers land in the treaty.
(Now as a player, I saw that the end of the game was coming and I shrugged and decided to t to keep what I could in the final years.)
Catherine was raised by her loyal councilors who arrange a matrilineal betrothal(eventual marriage) to the 4th heir of the English Crown.
All she wanted was to have a kid and survive to the end of the game....
when she had her first child, a boy, the spymaster caught someone trying to kill the newborn.

It was the SOUTHERN IRISH!

Queen Catherine quickly went from a meek ruler hoping to survive until her son took over to a blood soaked goddess of vengeance.
War was declared. Prisoners were... not... taken.
She delved deep in the dark arts of assasin action. So dark that even the newborn children of distant relations to the Southern Irish were slain. Distance made no difference as step brothers or 5th daughters residing in Italy or Germany were slain. Eventually... there were literally no members of that family tree left and Ireland was United again.

Her hardness even led her to assasinate the King of England(who wound up being the 3rd son after wars in the holy land) and wound up Matrilinealy married to the King of England.

And so ended the game. Queen Catherine ruled over Brittania and northern Spain and Brittany by right and by puppet king of England.

I gotta get CK3

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Nice, I really like the stories that result from playing the CK games.

One time I started as Iceland and slowly took over territory, Iceland was easy enough but when I went to take over the isles below, they'd already been claimed by someone much stronger than me. I bided my time and decided that, since I started as a countess, I'd create a new version of Christianity that was matrilineal (apparently not a word according to my dictionary) and lead the warrior women of Iceland to victory. I don't know what happened after this but I guess a lot of people weren't happy because my children started dropping like flies, murders everywhere, Oprah Winfrey was there handing out murder to everyone. Briefly I held the kingdom of Ireland but before I could get it converted I was overthrown and had my titles stripped from me, no great comeback in that game.

Side note. In games where I started as the King of Alba, I'd marry the same countess, problem being that since she was ruling in iceland I didn't really get much in the way of children. One time it was like I was getting a lot of children but quickly discovered that in fact, they were not mine. Had to resort to murder because the pope liked her more than me so wouldn't grant a divorce even with the adulterer penalty!

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I had a surprise twist in the game wher re I was trying to form Brittania. I had two sons and three daughters. Decided to disinherit the eldest son since I liked the younger better. Not long after, the eldest son dies anyway. Shortly thereafter, my youngest son and now heir to two kingdoms got thengreat pox and passed away. Now my heir was my eldest daughter and my titles were all split between my 3 daughters.

There was a succession war which i fended off with allies and large numbers of mercenaries before, as mentioned above, I made my play for the empire of Britannia. Crazy times watching my plans all fall apart.

Zardnaar

Legend
I had a surprise twist in the game wher re I was trying to form Brittania. I had two sons and three daughters. Decided to disinherit the eldest son since I liked the younger better. Not long after, the eldest son dies anyway. Shortly thereafter, my youngest son and now heir to two kingdoms got thengreat pox and passed away. Now my heir was my eldest daughter and my titles were all split between my 3 daughters.

There was a succession war which i fended off with allies and large numbers of mercenaries before, as mentioned above, I made my play for the empire of Britannia. Crazy times watching my plans all fall apart.

Happens a lot. You don't really get eliminated which is nice.

I always try and keep cash on hand for succession.

Just testing some Stellaris then probably CK tomorrow.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
An update on me reclaiming Britannia. When I loaded up the option to adopt local culture was available so I switched to gaelic, formed the empire of Britannia, and then kicked the norse out of Britain to finally reclaim the isles of Britannia and get the title 'the tuatha de Danaan' (or something like that). Did it with months to spare as I knew I was about to die so the title was kind of wasted. Glad I made it, that was my goal for the game and now I'm not sure what to do with this game. Guess I'll keep expanding.

Remove ads