• 5+

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • 10+

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

ccs

40th lv DM
1 cell, 2 smart.

I had a single dumb phone for ages ('98?-early 2012) when the poor thing just outright died. If ever there was a piece of tech that earned its retirement.... RiP durable little buddy.

Then I got a Galaxy Note 3.
Wich I used right up to damned near its complete end (I almost couldn't charge it, apps & sites were failing to work on it, & support is ending at the end of this year).
So in March 2020 I gave in & upgraded to a 5g Note 10.
I expect to wear this one out as well.

So 3 phones in 22 years.
Phone #4 in about 2028. :)

Zardnaar

Legend
1 cell, 2 smart.

I had a single dumb phone for ages ('98?-early 2012) when the poor thing just outright died. If ever there was a piece of tech that earned its retirement.... RiP durable little buddy.

Then I got a Galaxy Note 3.
Wich I used right up to damned near its complete end (I almost couldn't charge it, apps & sites were failing to work on it, & support is ending at the end of this year).
So in March 2020 I gave in & upgraded to a 5g Note 10.
I expect to wear this one out as well.

So 3 phones in 22 years.
Phone #4 in about 2028. :)

First one an alcatel or Nokia?

cbwjm

Hero
I've recently bought a new phone to replace my old galaxy S6 which had a battery issue after 4 years. It's only the 4th smartphone I've had after starting with the galaxy s back in 2010 so I average around 1 phone every 2.5 years.

I've never been able to justify the cost so I've never gotten one. My "dumb" phone does both things I require of a phone: it makes calls...and it receives them. (I don't even do texting.) In that regard, I imagine it's kind of like alcohol for me: if I ever tried it I might very well like it, but since I don't know what I'm missing I'm perfectly content not to fork out the wads of cash every month. (I guess that makes me the polar opposite of a Planescape Sensite.)

Johnathan

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
I personally preferred my old dumb phones.

I got the first smartphone for business reasons. Hated it, largely because my fingers tend not to work well with touch screens. Don’t know why, but I sometimes couldn’t answer my phone because of it. Screens have gotten better, so I have fewer issues, but it’s still not as dependable as physical buttons.

The thing is, once people knew I had a smartphone, they would ask me to use features dumb phones didn’t have. So my use of smartphones is largely driven by the needs of others.

Hell, I was in a restaurant the other day where they were no longer using physical menus- their menus were either online or required a QR code. (And I don’t have a QR app.)

Mad_Jack

Explorer
Model-wise, I think I'm on my second actual "smart"phone... I used to have the $40 Tracfone (whichever model that happened to be) but last time my phone got messed up on me I upgraded to the $60 model.
Honestly, though, I don't actually use the internet connection for anything, basically ever. I make phone calls, occasionally get texts from people, and use it as an alarm clock.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
I hate them, but appreciate they are a necessary evil, I will own one until it barely functions then reluctantly buy the model I believe offers the best value. I'm currently on my third phone which is coming up to 3 years old

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
I got the first smartphone for business reasons. Hated it, largely because my fingers tend not to work well with touch screens. Don’t know why, but I sometimes couldn’t answer my phone because of it.

Do I recall correctly that you play guitar? The calluses can sometimes be a problem for touchscreens.

briggart

Explorer
I bought my 1st, and currently only, smartphone 4 years ago, making it my 4th or 5th overall cellphone since 2001. I'm sitting in front of my laptop pretty much all day, so I don't usually feel the need for it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Do I recall correctly that you play guitar? The calluses can sometimes be a problem for touchscreens.
Yes, I do.

I hadn’t considered that as a possibility. I just lumped it together with other semi-mysterious hand-related issues I have, like the shallowness and fineness of my fingerprint ridges making it difficult for me to be properly fingerprinted. Or my unusually dry palms.

With my own money? Two ... my current iPhone SE and prior to that an iPhone 4. And unlikely to upgrade unless Apple comes back with a small form factor phone, as the current offerings are much too large. Some days I miss my old flip phone.

Work is a different story ... many generations of BlackBerry and then 3 or 4 generations of iPhone. I don't get a choice in that; they just decide to give me new ones.

Halloween Horror For 5E

Advertisement2

Advertisement4