• 5+

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • 10+

Votes: 1 1.5%

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I got my first cell phone in the mid/late 1990s. I’m currently on my 7th cell phone, the last 4 of which have been smartphones.

My first was an Android. Next was an iPhone 4. Then an iPhone 6 of some kind. And now I have an iPhone 11.

Obviously, I don’t constantly replace phones often.

Zardnaar

Legend
On my third one and 7rh cellphone in 20 years.

Generally I only replace when the old one died such as going for a swim in the toilet RIP my motorola.

Replacing them every year seems really wasteful and not good for the environment.

Mostly Samsungs currently using a huawei as it was a gift.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
4 (I think) - but one was a free replacement for a phone that stopped working, and I think one was for one I lost (unless that was a flip). Went for a long time with a flip phone, but try to keep them for years.

Samsung Stardust (or 2?) from Net10/Tracfone
and now
Nokia 7.1 (first was garbage, replacement has been fine)

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I just got my first cell phone, smart or otherwise. For years I've simply used VOIP for phone purposes. As long as I got WI-FI I can make calls. Though, now I am single again and you pretty much need them for dating. Also, its very handy to hail an Uber/Lyft as I live in the city (though not doing that much due to covid19). I still only use my VOIP service so its not truly a smartphone I guess if I dont have a wi-fi to hop on.

Funny story about 20 years ago I was in college. I had an apartment and bills were super tight. I tried to get my family to email me instead of calling. They thought I was nuts, "Email? I just want to call you!" Now when I call them they think i'm crazy for not email/texting, "Why did you call me? Just send a text!"

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Every 4-5 years I replace. But basically I've been on-call for work for decades, and it's absolutely affect me psychologically about using it. It started with a pager, then two-way text pager, then a blackberry, then a mobile, etc. So long before smart phones were a thing, I was trained that the mobile device was a leech, and when I wasn't on call I would not carry it because people would try to reach me for help anyway because I was that guy who could fix it.

So I never got used to playing games, or full time social media, or any of that. Even now I have no social media on my phone, I think one game (co-written by a friend who's a "Consulting Mathematician" like Sherlock is a "Consulting Detective"), and texts and backup kindle are my biggest uses.

My current phone is the first time I've replaced my phone without it dying, got it earlier this year. But my $120-in-2014 unlocked phone was just getting too pokey even for me, and I wanted a better camera.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases