• 5+

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • 10+

Votes: 1 1.5%

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Having just had to replace my phone, the question came to my mind... how many of these devices to most of us go through? Thus, the question...

I trust you all to define "smartphone" in a reasonable enough way for my purposes.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I guessed 10+ but I’m not sure. Way more than 5 though. Used to upgrade every year but it’s more like every other year these days.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
4. 3 of my own, 1 from work.

Edit: I got my first one in 2010, so an upgrade about every 3-4 years.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I don't buy a new phone unless the old one breaks to the point of being non-operational, so 4. Despite having a PDA in 2002, I didn't get my first smartphone until 2006 when I had to get rid of my dumbphone.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I came to smartphones late, simply because for work I am always at a computer. At home my laptop is just a room or two away. Why would I need the thing?

But then, my old cell phone provider screwed up. My wife and I both had dumbphones, capable of almost nothing, but one month they hit us with a massive data charge. Now, maybe it was an error on their part, maybe it was one of us poking the wrong buttons and doing something that used a bunch of data. Either way, it wasn't intentional use on our part. We asked for them to cancel the charge as a mistake, thinking that our decade and more of being customers would count for something. Ha!

They refused. We asked again more sternly. They still refused.

We checked, and a provider with better coverage would give us smartphones and reasonable data for less per month than our usual phone lines, much less the data charge. So, we switched providers, and I ended up with a smartphone.

Now, of course, my wife's work has changed, and she would find it very hard to operate without the thing.

I'm not quick to pick up new phones - when the battery dies, or there's some technical problem, I eventually get around to getting a new phone.

For the longest time I had a cheap and durable Nokia. I dropped that thing so many times and it still kept going. Then I got a cheap Tracfone. Only a few years ago did I get a proper smartphone.

My thinking was that all I needed was to be able to text people and make calls. But I certainly changed my tune after getting an iPhone. For someone with a bad sense of direction, the GPS alone is worth the price of admission.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I work on my iPhone these days when I’m not near my computer. It’s vital to my productivity. Then again, I basically work constantly if I’m not asleep. And if I wake in the night my phone is right there!

delericho

Legend
I'm on my fourth mobile, and first smartphone. I've tended to stick with a handset until it dies, so was very late to the party.

Ryujin

Legend
Went back and changed my vote because I've only had 4 personal smartphones (3 additional company smartphones). If I'm not at work, I don't have a company phone turned on. They don't pay me for on-call work, which is strictly defined and enforced.

I only bought my first personal smartphone in 2016. I quickly upgraded to another shortly afterward, selling the original for what I paid for it (US$50.00). I would still be using that second phone now, if Microsoft hadn't dumped Windows Phone. I found it far better/more intuitive than any of the stuff that I had to support at work. It still works great but when applications started to be deprecated, I couldn't really keep going with it. Pity.

Remove ads