Pathfinder 1E Current Pathfinder Players: Are you considering switching over to D&D 5E?

Pathfinder Players - Will You Switch Over to D&D 5E?

• YES! - I'm tired of Pathfinder and like what I see

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • Yes - But mainly out of curiosity; how long the switch lasts remains to be seen

Votes: 17 9.7%
  • Maybe - Undecided; need to see more of 5E

Votes: 41 23.4%
  • No - Nothing against WotC, but I'm happy with Pathfinder

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • NO! - I wouldn't support WotC no matter what they put out

Votes: 12 6.9%

Ace

Adventurer
I rather like what I saw in 5e and with some modifications I think it mets my needs as a DM better than Pathfinder does. I'll probably run it, well a hacked version anyway

My group however does like PF so odds are we'll be playing that for a bit. Heck we are still transitioning from 3.5

Either ways its all good.

exile

First Post
I will buy 5E product, probably most of it. As with 4E, I'll draw the line at cards that give me bonuses in an organized play setting-- especially when those cards are inferior (in my mind) to previously free product.

That said, there is almost no chance that 5E will sweep in and replace Pathfinder as my game system of choice. Most likely, it will join a host of other game systems that see periodic play, while Pathfinder continues to see regular, ongoing play.

The one thing that will actually motivate me to play more 5E is an organized play campaign akin to LFR, LG, or LC. Encounters simply doesn't work for me... but I still won't be shelling out gaming dollars (and I shell out a lot) for collectible cards that give me a paltry bonus in said campaign. I'd rather by a t-shirt with a symbol for one of the nations/factions of Faerun that grants me a reroll once per game session.

athos

First Post
I am really not interested in WotC... they had my business with 3.5 and Living Greyhawk. They made the stupid mistake of cancelling LG and giving up on 3.5, which Paizo has done wonders with, showing it was NOT dead.

If WotC can somehow make a product better than pathfinder, which I doubt, I might give it a try, but 5e looks to be not much better than 4e, so they can keep it for all I care.

Remathilis

Legend
After my current PF wraps up, we'll try it. I'm interested, but many of my players feel "burned" by 4e and don't believe Next/WotC will do right by them. So we will try it and if we like it, switch and if not stick with PF. Win/Win.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Not going to 5E.

I'm not interested in new versions of DnD. I stayed with 3.5/Pathfinder. It does what I want for the sort of game DND supports best.
For most games I like to use HERO. It does what I want simply and without fuss.

variant

Adventurer
No, I don't trust WOTC (as owned by Hasbro) to be good stewards of the hobby. It is simple as that.

WotC has been the steward of the "hobby" since 3e. If it wasn't for WotC's decision to release under the OGL, Pathfinder wouldn't even exist. All Paizo did was rip off 3e, mix things up a bit, and release it under their own brand name.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
WotC has been the steward of the "hobby" since 3e. If it wasn't for WotC's decision to release under the OGL, Pathfinder wouldn't even exist. All Paizo did was rip off 3e, mix things up a bit, and release it under their own brand name.

Paizo has done a wee bit more than that. :)

Yet I wonder how many former-D&D-now-Pathfinder players - having been so turned off by 4E - would have simply left the hobby had Paizo not taken over the 3.x mantle.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Yet I wonder how many former-D&D-now-Pathfinder players - having been so turned off by 4E - would have simply left the hobby had Paizo not taken over the 3.x mantle.

I doubt there are that many who would have left the hobby completely. They could always have continued playing the edition they had previously played, assuming they weren't into other games as well and didn't just shift their time to them. I think that's more likely than hanging up the dice bag because the current edition was a turn-off. That would be some major disillusionment. I'm not saying it didn't happen to some people out there (the strength of the identity of being a D&D Player being what it is), but I suspect it's a very small minority.

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads