• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Current take on GWM/SS

Your preferred solution(s)?

• Rewrite the feat: replace the -5/+10 part with +1 Str/Dex

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Rewrite the feat: change -5/+10 into -5/+5

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Rewrite the feat: change -5/+10 into -5/+8

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Rewrite the feat: you can do -5/+10, but once per turn only

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • The problem isn't that bad; use the feats as-is

Votes: 78 48.1%
  • Ban the two GWM/SS feats, but allow other feats

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Play without feats (they're optional after all)

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 24 14.8%

• Poll closed .

CapnZapp

Legend
Wow. 400 plus replies. Thank you - I guess ;-)

-----------------------------------------

To those wanting an "no problem at all" option: You have my symphaties, but I believe this thread proves without a doubt that the overall situation isn't that rosy, I'm afraid. That doesn't mean the feats can be perfectly unproblematic and even excellent at your table. But I'm not talking about any specific table here, neither yours nor mine.

To those voting "use as-is": I realize some of you truly mean you have found the feat working in order. But you will have to accept that I think many of you have merely not found the problem, simply by your preferred playstyle, or even by not having used the feats very much. Perhaps I should have included a separate poll where you can reply how much play experience you have had, so I could see how many experienced high-level players answer "use as-is".

To those actively arguing there are nothing wrong with the feats: sorry, but I mostly see attacks on the opposing side. Trying to shoot holes in the opposing side does nothing to prove your own position. I could not find a single well-argued example of real play data where SS/GWM was shown to be unproblematic. (Sorry if I missed your post here, please repost and I promise to give you a personal reply) The best I found was white room DPR calculations, but none of you who took the trouble of posting this replied to the very important objection that these feats are used in favorable conditions only, meaning that calculating averages drag down the result by including the cases that never happen in practice. Any useful DPR calculation must take into account when the feats are NOT used, since the choice to not use them is completely free. (If taking the feats meant that you took a permanent, always-on, -2 penalty to AC or whatever, then there would be far more merit to this line of thought. But the reality is that whenever your calculations suggest you're worse off with the feat than without, you forget that the real worst-case result MUST BE just one step below "not using the feat" since you simply don't use the feat when it doesn't help you, and in this case the cost is simply not getting the +1 to attack and +1 to damage that a stat increase would have gotten you. And even this cost is debatable since at level 12 or so, you will have maxed out your prime stat anyway. At that stage, the "cost" would instead be not taking the best alternative feat, which unfortunately makes for an impossibly complex calculation)

To those banning these particular feats, or playing w/o feats entirely: Thank you for participating in the poll. I wish you good luck, but will not follow in your footsteps myself - my play group likes the crunch of build options too much to be able to do without feats :)

To those answering my main line of interest, that is, what to do about them: it seems many of you counsel "once per turn" as a solution.

When I set up the poll, I thought reducing the damage bonus was the way to go. I don't consider myself statistically incompetent, but I must confess a fascination by the way even the feats' strongest critics saying that the feat quickly loses its relevance when the damage bonus is reduced. I thought that if +10 is completely overpowered, and +5 is useless, then perhaps +8 would be a golden compromise and easy fix. But the poll tells me that was wishful thinking. I don't know why you don't like this solution, but I accept there is something wrong with it.

Replacing the -5/+10 part with a Str/Dex increase I can understand why some of you like. It kills the entire infected problem area. But I kind of like there to be a way to make a "power attack", if only when you try to hack off a chain or other object. Having to take -5 nicely interacts with the 5e attack-an-object rules of the DMG. Likewise, getting to make a SS attack once per turn does simulate the "aiming really carefully" shot, so I hope to be able to keep it too.

Restricting GWM/SS to once per turn means nothing at low levels. On the other hand, this is where you authoratively state there is less of a problem. So this should alleviate that concern.

Of course, I couldn't find any real play analysis of this scenario. That is, your conclusions regarding a variant "once per turn" GWM/SS. But, this thread is too much as is, so that's something to revisit elsewhere. (Also, the "ignore cover" part of SS, what is the main issue: that it exists or that it can be used together with -5/+10?)

The issue that Polearm Master completely eclipses Two Weapon Fighting also is best discussed separately. Thank you for pointing it out.

Apologies to anyone feeling ignored. I encourage you to repost your sentiment if you want my reply.

Blackbrrd

First Post
To those wanting an "no problem at all" option: You have my symphaties, but I believe this thread proves without a doubt that the overall situation isn't that rosy, I'm afraid. That doesn't mean the feats can be perfectly unproblematic and even excellent at your table. But I'm not talking about any specific table here, neither yours nor mine.
So, you think that 7 options of variants of "yes, it's a problem" and 1 "not a big problem" options is a balanced poll? It would be completely logical to have a another "Not a problem" option as well. It wouldn't coincide with your opinion on the matter, but that's not the point of a poll is it?

My group recently converted a 4e campaign to a level 11 5e campaign and really, the spellcasters seem a bit overpowered with all their save-or-suck spells. From what I am seeing a GWM/SS character would basically be on the same level of OP. Looking at the duration of the encounters we have had so far, I don't think relying on Bless or any of that kind of buff spells is logical since most combats only seem to last 2-3 rounds. If the cleric is down the line on the initiative order, his bless might only be up for 1-2 rounds. Not good use of his actions.

Hussar

Legend
How do you know it's not the case? One forum poster at least that I know of HAS ran into this issue. Paging [MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION].

He and all players agreed that the combination was game breaking and they cancelled their campaign and started a new one, removing the troublesome feats in question. This is not strictly a new or unique problem to D&D 5e, but to claim it's simply a player issue and that D&D 5e is perfect is quite the claim.

There were no problem players in Zardnaars case, only problem feats.

That's the point though. You can remove them and the game works fine. It's not like these feats are necessary to play the game.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
So, you think that 7 options of variants of "yes, it's a problem" and 1 "not a big problem" options is a balanced poll? It would be completely logical to have a another "Not a problem" option as well. It wouldn't coincide with your opinion on the matter, but that's not the point of a poll is it?

My group recently converted a 4e campaign to a level 11 5e campaign and really, the spellcasters seem a bit overpowered with all their save-or-suck spells. From what I am seeing a GWM/SS character would basically be on the same level of OP. Looking at the duration of the encounters we have had so far, I don't think relying on Bless or any of that kind of buff spells is logical since most combats only seem to last 2-3 rounds. If the cleric is down the line on the initiative order, his bless might only be up for 1-2 rounds. Not good use of his actions.

This is pretty accurate against non-dragon enemies.

I share your concerns with casters. Casters don't do much direct damage, but they can do some crazy stuff with effects. I'm starting to see more and more of it as they learn the spells to exploit enemy weakness. The bigby's hand bypassing Legendary Resistance by turning a contest into an ability check is interesting. If this tactic works against dragons, it will work a great deal easier against non-dragons. This was one of the reasons I was...and am...somewhat reticent to take the feats completely away from martials. Martials get to shine doing damage. Casters get to shine doing just about everything else. It's a conundrum as a DM.

I think I'm going to play a bit more before I finally decide what I want to do.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
That's the point though. You can remove them and the game works fine. It's not like these feats are necessary to play the game.

I still feel sort of bad for non-9 level casters at high level. Casters, especially wizards, druids, and clerics, get a little crazy at high level. Spell versatility is a hell of a powerful ability when you have a bunch of spell slots and even your 1st level spells have some dangerous effects on a missed save.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
And I didn't mention polearm users or shield-users being overshadowed.

I'm not sure what you think a duelist or two-weapon fighter is for, though, if not damage. They're not generally battlefield control, and two-weapon fighting has been a go-to damage build in earlier editions of the game (eg AD&D, 4e).

I'm not sure of your point.

On your first solution, one complaint I've seen is that these feats channel players who want to have competitive damage-dealing PCs into great weapons and archery at the expense of other fantasy archetypes (eg duelist, two-weapon fighting). Is there a good reason for this?

On your second and third solutions, they are more-or-less what this thread is about, as far as I can tell.

I don't really see the point of telling people who find the feats problematic that they are playing the game wrong. What's wrong with wanting the game not to channel all damage-dealing builds into two rather narrow mechanical pathways? (Eg the game has many, many pathways for magical utility builds.) How is that approaching the game the wrong way, or in the wrong spirit?

Because of the above, I'm also unclear on what you think would have to be shown, about the design or effect of some particular mechanical game element, to support the conclusion that it is an error of design, or at least a weak design feature. The designers clearly think that the maths of the game matters, including its damage subsystem, given the obvious amount of effort put into designing it. Why is reasoned criticism of some of their choices out-of-bounds?

Dueslist are defensive in 5th edition. It's feat is called Defensive Duelist.

TWF is offensive in 5th. It's feat is weak. Change the Dual Wielder fear.

But no one has proved to be that the Sharpshooter nor Great Weapon Master feat needed to be changed yet. All I see is that player need to learn the game. The DMs need to match the Player's Powergaming.

It's the same as replacing junk feats on monsters in 3rd edition. If the player's cranked it to 11, the DM has to as well. Replace Skill Focus: Spot with Shocktrooper on the ogre.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Indeed.
But again, the issue of players making PCs to abuse these spell then complain about how easy the game is... that is a group problem.

Archery style alone is fine. SS alone is fine.

A cleric who is spamming bless 5-8 times a day on a fighter ally tuned to stack bonus damage and whining about difficulty is ridiculous.

I don't think this is a problem at all. I think this is a deflection of the topic here by posters who think that there is no mechanical problem, so it must be a people problem. Nobody is whining (TMK) about how easy it is. I do think, however, that there are DMs who have encountered it at their tables that are saying "Hey, one PC is taking a demon out in a single round, whereas, the rest of the party is taking out the other demon. And this is happening encounter, after encounter, after encounter. Something is wrong with this picture.".

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don't think this is a problem at all. I think this is a deflection of the topic here by posters who think that there is no mechanical problem, so it must be a people problem. Nobody is whining (TMK) about how easy it is. I do think, however, that there are DMs who have encountered it at their tables that are saying "Hey, one PC is taking a demon out in a single round, whereas, the rest of the party is taking out the other demon. And this is happening encounter, after encounter, after encounter. Something is wrong with this picture.".

And I say nothing is wrong with that picture. Nothing is wrong with one PC doing 50% of the damage if they are built for damage and the others are not.

My 4th edition ranger got most of the kills.
Same with my 3rd fighter/rogue, sorcerer, and ranger.
Same with my 5th edition damage ranger.

Strikers get more damage in than non strikers. I have no problem with a greatax user killing half the foes when you buff him with spells.

Now I agree that TWF is being overshadowed. But if that is the only striker which is underpowered, buff that.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
But no one has proved to be that the Sharpshooter nor Great Weapon Master feat needed to be changed yet. All I see is that player need to learn the game. The DMs need to match the Player's Powergaming.

If you are not convinced by the objective math discussion (at a relatively high AC which lowers the effectiveness of GWM) of the effective synergies of a first level spell plus a second level spell plus a feat here: Bless increasing the Rogue's DPR by 2% (52 to 53), Bless increasing the non-GWM Fighter's DPR by 11% (54 to 60), but GWM combined with Bless increasing the Fighter's DPR by 67% (54 to 90), then you will probably never be convinced. The Hold spell gets the DPR numbers to the first set of high numbers and Bless increases that by a 2% to 11% amount, but Bless plus GWM jumps it up by 67% (GWM alone without Bless increases Fighter DPR from 54 to 73 or 35%). I doubt that other more subjective arguments will persuade you. And that's fine. Neither side of the discussion has to actually prove anything.

Remove ads