[D&D 3.5] Pirates of the Broken Sea - OOC [recruiting open]

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Gah, I hate having the option to role, because it always entices me and then smacks me in the groin with a two by four. Observe.

Hmmm, not bad, the dice must be planning something nasty for later. I am assuming we are talking 4d6 drop the lowest so I'll place them thusly...

Str 13 Dex 18 Con 12 Int 16 Wis 15 Cha 15 (Halfling racial adjustments included)

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Could I get some instruction on how to use the EnWorld die roller? I was 'away' when it was introduced.

Also, a suggestion to the OP: It would help players if you could keep a running tally of the players and their class/race choices, just so the others can get an overview of what's being brought 'to the table'.

As for me... I thought it might be different to try a Goblin (Sea) Ranger who is also the ship's hunter... and cook.

If someone R-E-A-L-L-Y wants to be the Goblin, then I will pick a different race with the same shtick... probably Dwarf.

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Well I'll offer up my own limited understanding of the dice roller. To use the dice roller you need to submit your post and then look at the bottom right hand corner where you should see the dice roller tag, hit this and it takes you through to the roller itself. Once there there is a help link at the bottom of the page, but it should be fairly self explanatory from there in anycase. You should see all the available dice, type in the number of that dice you want rolled in the box next to the given die, e.g. 4 next to the d6. Then scroll down to the options where you can add a positive or negative modifier to your roll, or choose to drop the lowest die, etc.

Finally you can either save your roll, or roll it. Save rolls if you want to roll a number together such as for a full attack, etc., although you could easily just roll and hit the dice tag in the corner of your post aain for each roll you need.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I would like to play a halfling druid... I will get more in depth in a bit.

Question: 4d6 drop lowest roll, reroll 1's or..... just keep what we get?

Last edited:

Lughart

First Post
Wunderbar, goblin wizard for me then. I'll roll here and link to the post later.

EDIT: Apparently, the die roller doesn't drop the lowes roll for you, even if you ask it to.

EDIT nr.2: Is it really such a big problem to have two goblins?

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Hell, with everyone rolling stats, might as well try my luck. My luck seems to be on the extreme, but changes from high to low... so either I will get some great kobold out of this, or a sickly old dog....

EDIT - So, this is kinda out there...

STR 7
DEX 14
CON 13
INT 8
WIS 9
CHA 17

Yeah, this guy is already shaping up to be extreme on CHA and DEX, but worthless in everything else. Racial Modifiers added to above results on stats. Penalty on HP (due to CON), INT (means only 1 skill point per level), WIS (penalty to Will save) and STR (means he can carry VERY LITTLE with him). But, with that Dex and Cha, he can carry about his meager items with style and speed as well as being quick to not know much.

EDIT 2 - ok, changed some numbers and got a more balanced kobold now. Sorcerer should be interesting, as he's not as powerful as a wizard, but without having to lug around a book and things to write with for transferring spells, anything will help this guy out.

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
If Gobbos etc are supposed to be so rare, having two on a ship just seems... well, it takes the cool factor away from the Goblin, doesn't it?

Ed 1: NOICE! I approve... and it looks like the "drop lowest roll" is working correctly again.

Comin' up... one Dwarven Ranger/Cook.

Last edited:

jackslate45

First Post
I am going to be a boring human...

Go Go Magic Dice /roll

Edit: And boring I am lol.

Edit 2: Although looking at it, could go Half-Orc Barbarian. Would be something like:

Half-Orc:
STR 15
DEX 13
CON 13
INT 10
WIS 11
CHA 5

Bascially the bodyguard of the group. So, the BSF! (will also be multiclassing Fighter to get more feats, as the guy is pretty feat starved at the beginning. Something like Barb 1 F2 Barb 2+)

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Identifying items: identify has the 3.5 casting time and such, but effects are 3.0: only identifies the item's most basic power. For full identification, analyze dweomer is needed. Cursed items play havok with identification; identify will not detect the curse, and misidentify the item instead. Analyze dweomer will properly detect all properties of cursed items. Cursed scrolls are particularly dangerous; some have the curse triggered by simply viewing the writing on the scroll.

So in essence, we won't be identifying anything until level 6 spells are available?

Orius

Legend
And, is there something like quick reload (the feat for crossbows) for the guns? Making it a move action? I want to make a "pistol fighter"

I'll allow Rapid Reload to apply to the guns, you can take the feat for guns individually like you do for the crossbows. And yes, any guns will be move action, reloading a pistol as a free action is a bit too fast.

Well I'll offer up my own limited understanding of the dice roller. To use the dice roller you need to submit your post and then look at the bottom right hand corner where you should see the dice roller tag, hit this and it takes you through to the roller itself. Once there there is a help link at the bottom of the page, but it should be fairly self explanatory from there in anycase. You should see all the available dice, type in the number of that dice you want rolled in the box next to the given die, e.g. 4 next to the d6. Then scroll down to the options where you can add a positive or negative modifier to your roll, or choose to drop the lowest die, etc.

Finally you can either save your roll, or roll it. Save rolls if you want to roll a number together such as for a full attack, etc., although you could easily just roll and hit the dice tag in the corner of your post aain for each roll you need.

That's about right, but some of the features are buggy. Be careful with the save funtion, I think it works, but the preview doesn't. So you can't see what rolls you have in the queue, which is why I tend to roll them 1 at a time. Also, the favorite roll funtion doesn't seem to work either.

Question: 4d6 drop lowest roll, reroll 1's or..... just keep what we get?

Yes, it's drop lowest, and you keep whatever 1s come up (I'm not that generous... :devil:).

If Gobbos etc are supposed to be so rare, having two on a ship just seems... well, it takes the cool factor away from the Goblin, doesn't it?

Goblins aren't really that rare in my campaign, and I don't see a big problem with the pirate crews being pretty diverse.

So in essence, we won't be identifying anything until level 6 spells are available?

Hmm, that's a good point. This rule will probably get tweaked. I feel that full identification with a 1st level spell is too powerful for the level, but you make a good point with wizards not being able to do much in the way of iding until at least level 11 (and longer for sorcs). I think maybe something like bonus + weakest addtional power for weapons/armor, and see how most basic power works for other items. Maybe alert the caster that there are other abilities.

Someone pointed out to me that Stormwrack has parrot familiars, so I'll go with that. Changed above. Monkey was adapted from Pathfinder.

Flavor for the pirates is kind of a mix of the classic pirate and Arabian corsairs.

So here's our party setup so far:

Code:
[u]Player                  PC[/u]
Aldern Foxglove          Halfling Psion
Only the Strong          Halfling Druid
Lughart                     Goblin Wizard
Fangor the Fierce       Kobold Sorcerer
Herobizkit                 Dwarf Ranger
jackslate45             Human ? or Orc Barbarian

I'll take two more PCs, then close recruitment. Fighters or clerics would probably be the best choice.

Since few people are playing any humans, I'm not going to worry about a lot of deep background. Most of the non-humans in this campaign are pretty typical for D&D. Also, since you're all part of the same pirate crew, you'll be starting on a pirate ship. So you don't have to worry about how you all met, and there's not going to be any cliched tavern scenes either.

The Broken Sea

Thousands of years ago, the Great Cataclysm struck, separating the continents of Eldra and Maldara. Where the two continents had been joined, there was now the Broken Sea, a narrow sea choked with many islands. Elves and dwarves were the first to rebuild their civilizations in Maldara, while human civilizations arose in Eldra.

Many centuries later, after the fall of elven civilization, a loose confederation of slaves who escaped bondage in Eldra migrated to Maldara. Some settled on the islands of the Broken Sea and became the Sea Tribes. While some became honest fisherfolk, sailors, and traders, others took the freedom of the seas to prey upon their former masters. Numerous pirates set up bases in the Broken Sea and preyed upon Balas and the Celestial Kingdom in Eldra. When the Zazir Empire arose in Maldara, some preyed upon them as well. Only the magocracy of Nivia remained relatively untouched, being well defended by the powerful wizards who ruled there. After the fall of the Zazir Empire, the theocracy of Darthus arose, and its paladins and clerics of Rendon declared a holy scourge upon the pirates, whom they counted among the wicked. The city of Alixus, home to many free spirits and rogues, eventually rebelled against Darthus, and the City of Thieves is the only true ally the pirates have on either continent.

Last edited:

Remove ads