• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D 5e Basic Set: Things that make you go "what?!"

Andor

First Post
Actually 30' ahead in a dark area. Ahead of itself, mind you, as it wanders around the dungeon on your behalf. You the caster can be sitting outside having a smoke and making a map of what it sees, complete with monster notes, as long as your concentration isn't interrupted. The spell write-up says the eye is created within range (30') of you but goes on to say "There is no limit to how far away from you the eye can move [on this plane]", and that's where it breaks.

Example: Wave Echo Cave (Lost Mine of Phandelver) - you could with one 4th-level spell and an hour's free time map just about the whole thing before ever setting foot in the place, and know what monsters and enemies to expect, and where. Sure there's a few doors your eye can't get through, but you know where they are and how to approach them.

Too good for one risk-free spell.

Lanefan

Or I could cast a 1st level charm person and have my new buddy take a break from his guard duties to tell me what's in the place he guards. He's been past the doors too. Maybe. Plus it's even better in town for your problem children players. I fail to see the horror in the arcane eye.

If you don't want your players to cast it then just make sure the first thing they see with it is a medusa. Or Jabba the Hut in the shower. Or an Otyguh on a bidet. The mind scarring possibilities are endless.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If you don't want your players to cast it then just make sure the first thing they see with it is a medusa. Or Jabba the Hut in the shower. Or an Otyguh on a bidet. The mind scarring possibilities are endless.
True; and the rules don't say what happens if you see a Medusa through an Arcane Eye...

Lan-"if I were playing a wizard with this version of the spell I'd still abuse the hell out of it"-efan

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Not as written, but if I'm using that map (or similar) for a higher-level adventure...

Lanefan

Here's an idea:

Instead of nerfing it, improve its power. Litter your world with great unknown, unknowable, Cthulu-like entities. For now, they are passive creatures plotting to devour the world. Arcane eye reveals them. Unfortunately, glimpsing such a being sends the viewer down into the depths of madness.

After your players lose a couple of casters this way, they'll choose to never cast it again. :)

Thaumaturge.

filthgrinder

First Post
Not as written, but if I'm using that map (or similar) for a higher-level adventure...

Lanefan

Is this an infinite garlic issue?

"This recipe for eggplant parm just says 'add garlic', I can just add 80 pounds of garlic! NOTHING IN THE RECIPE WILL STOP ME?"

In a higher-level adventure, maybe they have magical wards...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Here's an idea:

Instead of nerfing it, improve its power. Litter your world with great unknown, unknowable, Cthulu-like entities. For now, they are passive creatures plotting to devour the world. Arcane eye reveals them. Unfortunately, glimpsing such a being sends the viewer down into the depths of madness.

After your players lose a couple of casters this way, they'll choose to never cast it again. :)

Thaumaturge.
Now that's some fine thinkin' there. :)

Lanefan

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I thought I would start this thread for the community to post odd things discovered within the new Basic Rules.

Padded Armor gives Disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks

Wait what?! It's padded armor... Is it made from corduroy?

My daughter only glanced through the rules a little bit and that one jumped out at her. WT? Cut and paste error?

Andor

First Post
Hmmm. I just noticed that in 5e a crit doubles the dice rolled, including extras like sneak attack and presumably those from a flaming sword (if they do +1d6 fire.)

... That's a lot of potential damage to add onto the rogue. In fact it might be good enough to make dipping into rogue seriously attractive to a fighter.

Pickles JG

First Post
There are a couple of baby "traps".

p66 Half rations lets you last twice as long with a set of rations as full rations would. However not eating for 3 days (ish depending on CON) then eating a full day's rations works also has no downsides.

It's hard to come up with a simple fix but the sensible thing to do is never use half rations.

Also the defense fighting style for fighters is worse not worth taking with 2 handed weapons. You do as much damage with a 1 handed weapon & the duellist style & can use a shield for +2 AC instead of +1. This is a very minor "trap" - 2 handed swords do fractionally more damage & at some point you could have defence & great weapon fighting. It's not optimal but its fine if you want that style I guess.

The issue I have with it is that the starting great weapon PC takes this style. Mind you great weapon fighting is pretty poor too (only <+1 damage cf +2 for duellists).

This sort of thing irks me as it shows a level of mathematical naivety that feels inexcusable but it's minor stuff really.

bganon

Explorer
Arcane Eye doesn't really worry me too much given the presence of lower-level spells like Invisibility, Spider Climb, etc. Cast Invis on the Elven Rogue, and you've got a scout that moves much more quickly, can actually deal with doors, and probably isn't that much less stealthy. Heck, Fly is also a 4th level spell - like it or not, 4th-5th level is where casters typically start getting the serious "shortcut" spells. At least many of them require concentration now.

Defense style seems a bit weak to me, but it's the only Fighting Style that applies regardless of what/how you wield. It stacks with sword & board, works fine with greatweapons, stacks with the TWF feat, etc...

The main thing making me go "what" at the moment is cantrip damage. I don't mind casters having at-will options, but they seem awfully good...

Remove ads