D&D 5E D&D 5e Basic Set: Things that make you go "what?!"

Andor

First Post
Looking through the skills section some things stand out:

There seems to be pretty much complete overlap between Nature and Survival. I would drop Nature, personally, unless you just really want to recreate the scene in the hospital in Gondor where Aragorn and the Doctor are comparing their knowledge of obscure names for the same plant.

Medicine appears to be extremely weak in this edition. It lets you stabilize the dying and diagnose (but not treat) illnesses (but not poison.) I think that it the weakest it has even been in any edition where it has defined usages.

Strangely, Undead lore seems to have been removed from both Arcana and Religion since spotting one is listed as a miscellaneous wis check.

Hmmm... Putting together a disguise to pass as a city guard is listed as a misc Int check. Why in the Holy name of Gygax would you not put that under Perform which includes acting? Actually, using a disguise is also listed under Deception.... So disguising yourself is listed in the skill section twice with both times missing a perfect chance to put utility into the Perform skill. Sad.

And the hidden objects sidebar is appalling. If a character syas they look in a location they see what is there without a roll, barring complications. If you just say "I search the room." then the roll says what you get and you can miss the secret note hidden behind the back of a drawer in the desk. And isn't figuring out the location of a hidden item a listed use of the Investigate skill?

The skill section feels like it was written by 15 different people who never spoke to each other.

Remove ads