D&D 5E D&D 5e Basic Set: Things that make you go "what?!"

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
I thought I would start this thread for the community to post odd things discovered within the new Basic Rules.

Padded Armor gives Disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks

Wait what?! It's padded armor... Is it made from corduroy?

FireLance

Legend
After the negative reactions to Second Wind, I was truly surprised to see the 18th-level Champion archetype Fighter ability Survivor. But maybe the fact that it's a relatively high-level ability will be a mitigating factor.

BryonD

Hero
After the negative reactions to Second Wind, I was truly surprised to see the 18th-level Champion archetype Fighter ability Survivor. But maybe the fact that it's a relatively high-level ability will be a mitigating factor.
As someone who has a big concern with 100% healing with a long rest, and also really dislikes SW with "real" healing, this doesn't really bother me.
When you get up to L18 in D&D, I don't have problems seeing some supernatural in any character. Beowulf can hold his breath after all......

And the limitation of only below 50% HP helps also.

BryonD

Hero
I thought I would start this thread for the community to post odd things discovered within the new Basic Rules.

Padded Armor gives Disadvantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks

Wait what?! It's padded armor... Is it made from corduroy?

I-cant-put-my-arms-down.jpg

:)

Nebulous

Legend

My own personal experiences with D&D has been that the game gets less fun after 12th-14th level, and that is high enough level for my adventuring career/story arcs. Whatever rules that get wishy washy after that, i'll never know ;)

As someone who has a big concern with 100% healing with a long rest, and also really dislikes SW with "real" healing, this doesn't really bother me.
When you get up to L18 in D&D, I don't have problems seeing some supernatural in any character. Beowulf can hold his breath after all......

And the limitation of only below 50% HP helps also.

I think I see what they were going for, but I wish they had flipped it around — the power would be cooler if it only worked when a fighter was ABOVE half hp. It could be described as the high level fighter no longer being threatened by the stresses of the opening rounds of combat, and that you would really have to really hit him hard to get him past the point he wouldn't almost instantly recover.

Plus I think it would be fun to see the fighters enemies desperately trying to whittle away at his recuperative powers...

Sadrik

First Post
At level 1, you cannot regain any HD with a long rest.

The wizard's Arcane Recovery level 1 class feature does nothing. You can only recover 0-level spells, which means the level 1 class feature actually does nothing until level 2.
To fix it, I would swap the level 1 class feature with the level 2 class feature.

Remove ads