• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D 5e Basic Set: Things that make you go "what?!"

BryonD

Hero
I think I see what they were going for, but I wish they had flipped it around — the power would be cooler if it only worked when a fighter was ABOVE half hp. It could be described as the high level fighter no longer being threatened by the stresses of the opening rounds of combat, and that you would really have to really hit him hard to get him past the point he wouldn't almost instantly recover.

Plus I think it would be fun to see the fighters enemies desperately trying to whittle away at his recuperative powers...
I can see that

occam

Adventurer
More traps on the weapons table:

• Club (which is OK), greatclub, light hammer, mace, morningstar, and trident, already discussed here
  • Greataxe definitely sucks now, with the critical hit rule confirmed, and Great Weapon Fighting Style changed
  • Flail (strictly inferior to the warhammer)
  • War pick, in the same boat as the morningstar (less flexible than a rapier)
  • Blowgun (whatever)

Dannager

First Post
The wizard's Arcane Recovery level 1 class feature does nothing. You can only recover 0-level spells, which means the level 1 class feature actually does nothing until level 2.
To fix it, I would swap the level 1 class feature with the level 2 class feature.

Am I missing something? It looks like at 1st level a Wizard should be able to recover a single 1st-level spell. What do you see that is preventing that from happening?

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Am I missing something? It looks like at 1st level a Wizard should be able to recover a single 1st-level spell. What do you see that is preventing that from happening?

"The spell slots can have a combined level that
is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded
up)
, and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.
For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover
up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either
a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots."

Bolded the important part to reinforce your statement.

Sadrik

First Post
"The spell slots can have a combined level that
is equal to or less than half your wizard level (rounded
up)
, and none of the slots can be 6th level or higher.
For example, if you’re a 4th-level wizard, you can recover
up to two levels worth of spell slots. You can recover either
a 2nd-level spell slot or two 1st-level spell slots."

Bolded the important part to reinforce your statement.

Woot oh good I thought that was an oversight. It is just an exception to the round down always rule.

beej

Explorer
The great weapon style + the greatsword / maul is sick.

Personally, I think it's less of "the greataxe sucks" and more of "the 2dx weapons shouldn't exist." YMMV.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Gonna miss the Scythe, could it be the designers considered it an inherently EVIL weapon?

Saw the update to MC requirements, somehow they managed to make something that was bad even worse. As I was telling Multiclassing has been flanderized into a pure powergaming tool. Now all characters that go against type (Swashbuckling paladins/barbarians heavy weapon rangers/rogues) are forever stuck as one class...

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Gonna miss the Scythe, could it be the designers considered it an inherently EVIL weapon?

Saw the update to MC requirements, somehow they managed to make something that was bad even worse. As I was telling Multiclassing has been flanderized into a pure powergaming tool. Now all characters that go against type (Swashbuckling paladins/barbarians heavy weapon rangers/rogues) are forever stuck as one class...

Scythe will likely appear later I am sure (PHB or some splat book).

As for multiclassing.....houserule the requirements away. Problem solved.

Sadrik

First Post
Turn undead and Destroy undead being automatic applications of all clerics. Maybe... I would have liked to see more diversity. It looks like you get an additional selection from your domain too but all clerics turning undead is meh. Evil clerics too? perhaps alternate rules for evil clerics, or are they just called warlocks now...:devil:

Remove ads