D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Planescape- In Through the Out Door (Full)

Unsung

First Post
[MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] It definitely makes sense, although ideally what I would hope would happen is that the players talk tactics in OOC, and you have some notion of what the rest of the party is doing even before you arrive at their turn. If I'm waiting for the last slot of the round, I can declare my intended action ahead of time and assuming circumstances haven't drastically changed, it's basically on a timer, a held action waiting to be triggered.

Likewise, I don't take the first slot every round just because I want to, but because that's a good moment for the contribution I have in mind.

In some ways this is metagaming, but in some ways it's not. An adventuring party is a team, and so presumably they'll have some idea of how their fellow party members are likely to fight, and on a much more intimate level than we as players, chances are.

Like I said, I consider table talk a big part of the game. It's part of the bonding process for a party. So I like things like this, which encourage conversation.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I'd prefer not to complicate things too much. Side note - initiative is not rerolled every round in 5E.

The way I handle initiative in PbP is just have every "clump" of PCs go at the same time. For example, Oz, Shandy, and Pica are all at the top of the initiative so they can all post their actions at once. Then the yugoloths go, then Graydon and Lili, then the Jilted Planes NPCs, and then Shard and Rusty. Then we do it all over again next round.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
That definitely makes sense. As long as you, the GM, are cool with the meta gaming part (which let's face it, you DO do when you're sitting at a table), I'm cool with it. Especially when playing with people like Shay who understand the mechanics of things so deeply. Sounds like a fun experiment to me :)

Unsung

First Post
Fair enough. :) Just a passing fancy.

I know initiative isn't rerolled from round to round, and hasn't been in many editions now. I didn't really start gaming until very late in the d20 system's heyday. But round-to-round-rerolling actually more justifiable in PbP than it is in tabletop games, since the problem isn't how long it takes, but scheduling.

...not that I'm recommending we do that, because more bookkeeping is exactly what I'm trying to cut down on.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Yar. Bookkeeping is my concern about the initiative swapping. The only way to keep spell durations straight would be to assign them to initiative counts, and then tracking those per spell, instead of per character.

It's also worth pointing out that the game mechanics already allow characters to change their initiative to some extent, via Delay actions. Granted, you can't shift them UP that way, but I feel like that only makes sense. :)

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Happy Mother's Day!

Thanks and hope everyone else had a nice day!

And apologies for my absence. Things got a little crazy... I don't see them letting up until Bella is done with school this year (she's 5th grade and we have "graduation" and all the events that go with it).

Hey, things are ridiculously busy at work this week. I have a jury trial to prep for on May 27, plus all my regular duties. I'll get a post up for Pic in the IC tomorrow evening. If you don't care to wait til then, no worries, please just NPC Pic as you see fit.

Remove ads