D&D (2024) D&D 6th edition - What do you want to see?

G

Guest 6801328

CS dice would be the obvious possibility for a fighter-only sub-system.
HD are fine in concept, too, in fact, trading between HD and CS dice is an intuitive idea. D&D has kinda a history with resources that can be used as healing, or as something else... and HD recharge slower than any other resource in 5e...

What are CS dice?

Nebulous

Legend
This was my initial thought as well, but I haven't delved deep enough into the system to determine whether taking that penalty (or the spell-failure chance) off of casters would make them too dominant.

I don't know either. I would have to tweak something though. I don't mind the casters going crazy over a longer period of time if that was to be stretched out. But the high chance of failing a spell roll round after round would just be demoralizing as a player. I'd probably change it to a 10% of total failure. The rest would be the lowest level of success, and then if you roll high then the success increases. I do love how all the spells get better incrementally as you hit the higher DCs.

Eric V

Hero
I'm very wary of brands pretending to go to an 'Evergreen' style.

It'll get stale and stiffle creative risks.

I feel it already has! :D That comes with designing a game to be popular.

But the benefits (D&D's massive popularity) seem to far outweigh any perceived shortcomings. People still play Monopoly and Risk to this day.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
The rules are finally "good enough and simple enough" IMHO. They support the goals of a successful D&D game which is everyone having fun participating in a fantasy adventure without having to be an expert, which is why the player base is exploding and pulling in people who aren't particularly nerdy but love the escapist fun that a TTRPG can provide.

I know I certainly enjoy getting away from my computer and sitting around a table with real people and telling wild stories :) (not to take anything away from those who play via computer, of course, but I don't think that's the majority?).

To majorly mess with this success, just to "refresh" the ruleset, would be a big mistake IMHO. There's a gritty crunchy option available to those who want it (in PathFinder 2, or other RPGs). D&D needs to keep its grip on being the most popular RPG, and that means a stable rules base that people can become familiar with (and eventually expert).

The way to keep things fresh (IMHO) is to, slowly, expand the available classes, introduce new spells & monsters and settings to go with them. And of course adventures.

And finally a book they should absolutely produce is a more friendly guide to DMing. The DMG is terrible for new DMs, IMHO, and D&D needs more and more DMs. "How to become a great DM" or some such. :)

(Edited before someone flags "gritty" here too!)

Last edited:

Undrave

Legend
And finally a book they should absolutely produce is a more friendly guide to DMing. The DMG is terrible for new DMs, IMHO, and D&D needs more and more DMs. "How to become a great DM" or some such. :)

Ah yes, a beginner's guide to dungeon mastering wouldn't be bad at all. Maybe they could get Matt Mercer's star power on board with some of his tips? I dunno.

I guess the rules are 'good enough' indeed, but the 'how to put them to use' could use some refreshing itself.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Ah yes, a beginner's guide to dungeon mastering wouldn't be bad at all. Maybe they could get Matt Mercer's star power on board with some of his tips? I dunno.

I guess the rules are 'good enough' indeed, but the 'how to put them to use' could use some refreshing itself.
Actually, I'd love that as videos instead of a book. So get literal Matt Mercer. I think the strengths of the media align better with beginning DM tips beyond what's given in the DMG.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Actually, I'd love that as videos instead of a book. So get literal Matt Mercer. I think the strengths of the media align better with beginning DM tips beyond what's given in the DMG.

That’s a really interesting idea. Matt has done a series like this with Geek & Sundry but to have it be an official WotC series on DMing would be great.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
That’s a really interesting idea. Matt has done a series like this with Geek & Sundry but to have it be an official WotC series on DMing would be great.
Get him and Chris Perkins riffing off each other on DMing advice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases